Penn State Entering Class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunniejl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my first acceptance from Penn State a few days ago! I interviewed there mid December, and got my letter almost exactly 8 weeks after the interview. Anyone else admitted to Penn State and psyched? :)

Members don't see this ad.

me! i got in and was excited. I love the program. I'm just wondering whether Hershey will drive me crazy since I've been a city-gal for the past 7 years.

i61164 said:
USNEWS only ranks the top 50-60 schools. Since there are about 125 schools, Penn State is just one of the >60 schools that are unranked.

that's not exactly true. just because penn state is unranked doesn't mean it's somewhere between #60-125. schools may not be ranked in u.s. news for a few reasons:

1) they fall below rank #60
2) they don't turn in their data for ranking because they think the ranking system isn't accurate anyways

Penn State falls under this second category. They simply didn't turn their data in. There are a lot of schools who opt out of the U.S. News ranking, and most schools (even the ones who do turn in their data) agree that the U.S. News ranking doesn't hold much water when you look at some of their ranking criteria. I suppose it's a good place to go to if you want to get a general idea of prestige (example: harvard #1 is better than BU #40-some), but it's not a good place to go to for minute comparisons (the difference between rank number 35 and 40 is pretty negligible).

Based on what I've heard from current med students, other residents, and residency directors (as well as my PI at Penn Med), Penn State is pretty well-regarded and falls into a "second tier" med school along with BU, Jefferson, Albert Einstein, Tufts, etc. It does tend to turn out clinicians, but seemed to have a pretty strong research background also based on what I saw on interview day (the thesis requirement also perhaps speaks to that).

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a waitlist letter....keep your fingers crossed:(

like lightnk says, Penn State never turns in their data...that's why they are unranked.

One of my friends and I also got into Penn State. I really like the school, but I'm deciding between Penn State, Maryland, and NYMC. Unless Penn State gives me an awesome financial aid package, I probably won't go. But of all the schools I've gotten into, I thought the students at Penn State were the friendliest and i could totally see myself hanging out with them.

Good luck getting off the waitlist Buckeye(OH) :luck: :luck:

You BETTER go tinky mctinky. Baltimore is poo. Why stay in poo for 4 more years. Enjoy chocolate. Yummmmmyyyy. Plus, isn't it worth it hanging out with me for FOUR more years? Okay, so maybe that's not the best selling point.... :(

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Hope you're feeling better. Miss you already, baby. ;)

:love: :love: :love:

tinkerbelle said:
like lightnk says, Penn State never turns in their data...that's why they are unranked.

One of my friends and I also got into Penn State. I really like the school, but I'm deciding between Penn State, Maryland, and NYMC. Unless Penn State gives me an awesome financial aid package, I probably won't go. But of all the schools I've gotten into, I thought the students at Penn State were the friendliest and i could totally see myself hanging out with them.

Good luck getting off the waitlist Buckeye(OH) :luck: :luck:

....PENN STATE! Woo Hoo Was accepted Saturday 4 weeks after the interview! I think its just starting to set in!

Welcome to Hershey, ya'll!

i61164 said:
Do you have any details on this? I was unaware of a thesis requirement (I haven't interviewed at PSU yet).

i think they said we need to write a thesis/do reserach. You are only expempt from the requirement if you did a research masters or a phd

supersnuffles said:
You BETTER go tinky mctinky. Baltimore is poo. Why stay in poo for 4 more years. Enjoy chocolate. Yummmmmyyyy. Plus, isn't it worth it hanging out with me for FOUR more years? Okay, so maybe that's not the best selling point.... :(

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Hope you're feeling better. Miss you already, baby. ;)

:love: :love: :love:

snuffles :love: i'm still sick :( But anyways. You being at Penn State is the best selling point :love:

Hey Lionking, congrats on your acceptance. I interviewed about 4wks ago (Jan 10) and haven't heard a word.

How'd you find out soo soon? :confused: Snail mail, calling the admissions office, a friend on the inside????

They say it takes 6-8wks but I would kill to find out sooner so I can save some $$ and skip a couple of other interviews I have lined up.

I'm a Hershey girl, the sweetest place on earth.

Hershey is an okay city. The health science center and the hershey chocolate factory are the main industry. (get use to the manure smell in the summer from all those dairy farms there). It is the biggest tertiary health center in central pennsylvannia.

Medikit said:
If I actually get in there you will have to go to Penn State tink

Hi Medikit! I haven't seen you online for the loooongest time :D Hmmm... why are all the people i like going to Penn State???? When do you hear back from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
hunniejl said:
Hey guys, I just got my first acceptance from Penn State a few days ago! I interviewed there mid December, and got my letter almost exactly 8 weeks after the interview. Anyone else admitted to Penn State and psyched? :)

Did PSU send you an email, or call, or send a snail mail?

Mothra said:
Did PSU send you an email, or call, or send a snail mail?

my acceptance came via snail mail

Mine came via snail mail.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but I thought'd I'd ask. I just got an interview to Penn State, and I'm trying to decide whether to go or not. Does anyone know if they still have spots left, or if I'd be interviewing for a spot on the wait list??

Thanks!
Emily

hi emily,

i talked with dr. muller about this even though i interviewd in late january. they do keep spots open till the end and you should definetley check the school out. i came in not really wanting to go to penn state even though its my state school and makes the most financial sense. but the interview day has had the most effect on me relative to any other schools i've interviewed with. the facutly is unbelivable, the facilities are new since they haven't been around as a school for long, the location sucks (but you probably knew that) and the students are off the hook (by the far the most personable, friendly and laid back kids i've met).

-a

One reason I'm not too anxious to go there is because I'm out of state so tuition is high. And since it's really hard to establish residency, I' be out of state all 4 yrs. But I would like to see the school, so I have to ponder it for a while.

Emily

Snail Mail.... Turned in the acceptance and deposit yesterday! I too, am really psyched! WE ARE PENN STATE!

hooniedee said:
Hey Lionking, congrats on your acceptance. I interviewed about 4wks ago (Jan 10) and haven't heard a word.

How'd you find out soo soon? :confused: Snail mail, calling the admissions office, a friend on the inside????

They say it takes 6-8wks but I would kill to find out sooner so I can save some $$ and skip a couple of other interviews I have lined up.

I'm a Hershey girl, the sweetest place on earth.

Ylime said:
One reason I'm not too anxious to go there is because I'm out of state so tuition is high. And since it's really hard to establish residency, I' be out of state all 4 yrs. But I would like to see the school, so I have to ponder it for a while.

Emily

Hi Emily.

i'm out of state also. If you're already holding acceptances to schools you would rather go to - then perhaps you should pass on going to PSU. I applied to PSU because a good 50% of their incoming class is out of state, so I figured I had a decent chance of getting in. I wasn't expecting much out of Penn State, but I fell in love with it after visiting. I found the Assistant Dean's speech to be completely inspiring, and I loved the philosophy of the school. (You actually get to take humanities classes! I couldn't even take those in undergrad!) The main thing stopping me at the moment is the location. But hey - you can tell everyoen that you go to med school at the Sweetest Place on Earth, and that the doctors look like oompa loompas.

edit: i mailed my deposit in today :)

tinkerbelle said:
Hi Medikit! I haven't seen you online for the loooongest time :D Hmmm... why are all the people i like going to Penn State???? When do you hear back from them?

I'm on the waitlist :(... still waiting

Hey guys,

I have a question. On the acceptance form it says just to return that slip of paper checking off if you want to keep your seat in the class, but it says to have the deposit in by May 15th. So, I just sent in the form without a check and now I'm wondering if perhaps I read it incorrectly???

skiracer90 said:
Hey guys,

I have a question. On the acceptance form it says just to return that slip of paper checking off if you want to keep your seat in the class, but it says to have the deposit in by May 15th. So, I just sent in the form without a check and now I'm wondering if perhaps I read it incorrectly???

I agree, that letter was confusing.... that orange letter needed to be in within two weeks, I went down to the office to turn the check in with it, and received an email confirmation that they received the check. ....So you still need to send your check in by May 15th (make it out to Penn State University- it doesnt even say that in the letter)- but do you have an address to send it to if you already sent in your orange letter?

LionKing said:
I agree, that letter was confusing.... that orange letter needed to be in within two weeks, I went down to the office to turn the check in with it, and received an email confirmation that they received the check. ....So you still need to send your check in by May 15th (make it out to Penn State University- it doesnt even say that in the letter)- but do you have an address to send it to if you already sent in your orange letter?

Would I just send it to the office of student affairs? They have an address on the letterhead. If I decide to go there, I could always just call them up and ask them exactly where to send the check to. Thanks for clarifying the whole deposit/orange letter situation. I definitely got a little nervous there for a second.

LionKing said:
Snail Mail.... Turned in the acceptance and deposit yesterday! I too, am really psyched! WE ARE PENN STATE!

Congrats, Kevin!!! :D

skiracer90 said:
Would I just send it to the office of student affairs? They have an address on the letterhead. If I decide to go there, I could always just call them up and ask them exactly where to send the check to. Thanks for clarifying the whole deposit/orange letter situation. I definitely got a little nervous there for a second.

I just rechecked... that letterhead does indeed appear to have been the same address on the orange sheet... I didn't even think to check there!

Thanks- nittany! Come on back for second look day whenever they schedule it!

omg :eek: 9 hours!

The Hershey Lodge is super close the PSU. It's right across the street. It was a bit too expensive for me to stay there (if i remember correctly $170 for two of us... and that was with the med student discount... i might be wrong though).

Good luck on your interview :luck:

I stayed at the Econo Lodge which is right across the street from the med school/hospital. It was about 45 bucks which fit my price range!! If you're looking for a decent room without all the frills of the Hershey Lodge, I'd suggest staying there. All you need to do there is sleep and shower anyway...

i61164 said:
I just got my interview invite and I'll be heading up to Hershey the first week of March. Anyone care to comment on hotels? I was told that the Hershey Lodge and Hilton Gardens are close to the Biomedical Research building.

I sure hope PSU has some spots left. It's going to be a 9 hour drive each way for me.

Do they give tours of the chocolate factory? It might be something fun for my wife and daughter to do while I'm interviewing.

Consider the Comfort Inn as well - essentially across the highway from the med centre (so you can't walk across the street, but you can see the hospital from it). Its nice, much less than the Lodge and they have a free shuttle to the med center (its where we put up residency candidates).

Hey all,

I got my Penn St acceptance in December and it looks like I'll be attending there right now! I'm pretty happy because the faculty, students, and facilities were awesome when I went for my interview.

A couple questions, what is this orange sheet that you are talking about. I sent in my acceptance sheet (that I signed saying for them to hold my seat) and I got an email saying that they received it and everything is okay. I haven't sent in my deposit because they said it does not have to be done until May 15, which from previous posts seems to be okay. Also, does anyone know about rotations for Penn St students? Do we have to do them at Hershey for your third year or can you go elsewhere? Where else can you do them? Thanks...

Have any of you been to the Hershey chocolate facility? How far is it from the school? My wife and daughter might want to check it out while I am interviewing.[/QUOTE]

They do not give tours of the chocolate factory. They have a virtual tour - called Chocolate World - that is located next to Hershey Park. It is free.

vcatz said:
Have any of you been to the Hershey chocolate facility? How far is it from the school? My wife and daughter might want to check it out while I am interviewing.

They do not give tours of the chocolate factory. They have a virtual tour - called Chocolate World - that is located next to Hershey Park. It is free.[/QUOTE]

That sucks that they don't do tours anymore. I remember going there when was a kid and it was cool to see...

I received my acceptance to Penn State two days ago. Just wanted to holler at my potential classmates next year!!!

sdnstud said:
I received my acceptance to Penn State two days ago. Just wanted to holler at my potential classmates next year!!!

Congrats Stud... I was going through my acceptance packet again- were we supposed to receive an application for housing? A letter references it, but there was not an application enclosed that I could find.

Also here is a link for Chocolate World.... the simulated factory tour is free:
http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/

Someone I know just got accepted... :) He interviewed on 1/17, and received an acceptance letter 2/22.

Hey everyone!
Good to see that everyone's so excited about PSU! I absolutely loved it there, but I'm stuck on the waitlist. Anyone know anything about how many people they take off? :oops:
Hopefully I'll see you all this fall!
- Missy

Mothra said:
Someone I know just got accepted... :) He interviewed on 1/17, and received an acceptance letter 2/22.
He was also an out-of-state candidate.

naimist said:
Hey everyone!
Good to see that everyone's so excited about PSU! I absolutely loved it there, but I'm stuck on the waitlist. Anyone know anything about how many people they take off? :oops:
Hopefully I'll see you all this fall!
- Missy

Missy, did your letter state specifically that you were on a waitlist, or give you a ranking of any kind? I got a letter after my interview that said I was in the "hold" category - I was wondering if that's the same thing?

Sarikate said:
Missy, did your letter state specifically that you were on a waitlist, or give you a ranking of any kind? I got a letter after my interview that said I was in the "hold" category - I was wondering if that's the same thing?

Sarikate,
My letter said I was put on hold too. I guess it's called hold until after May 15, when it officially becomes a waitlist. I called the admissions office and they said they don't rank their waitlist. If you search previous threads on it, apparently PSU has one of the most mysterious waitlists of all the schools. I'm still holding out from my state school first, but I wouldn't be upset at all if I ended up at PSU! Here's some :luck: for both of us!
- Missy

Another reason to get excited about Penn State...can't help putting in a shameless plug... we just raised $4.1 million in our annual Dance Marathon (the "largest student-run philanthropy in the world" - held at the main campus, which is separate from Penn State Hershey) to benefit the Four Diamonds Fund, which funds pediatric cancer research and helps the families of the kids with cancer at Hershey. Even though the actual event is located at the main (undergrad) campus, all of the Penn State campuses get involved and Penn State students from all over come out and participate. Many of the pediatric cancer patients from Hershey (those well enough to travel) and their families also come out for the event. $4.1 million is a record, beating out last year's total by about $500,000.

This is just one example of the kind of things that people in the Penn State system are involved in...I hope everyone who got accepted to PSUCOM at least considers going next year because we really are a great community :)

Hi guys!
Anyone having luck looking for off campus houses for rent? anyone moving to hershey from CA? I'm worried....but it makes me feel better that you all will be there. :)

I'm from CA (bay area). If I go to Penn State, I'd be staying at one of the on-campus housing, most likey University Manor East. I noticed a $100 NON-refundable fee for the Housing Application, so I plan to hold off on submitting it until April/May when I have a better idea of where I'm going next year.

Mathilda said:
Hi guys!
Anyone having luck looking for off campus houses for rent? anyone moving to hershey from CA? I'm worried....but it makes me feel better that you all will be there. :)

I am also from CA (SF Bay Area) and it looks like Penn St. is gonna be the school for me! I'm a little anxious moving from a big city like SF to Hershey but I know this will be best for my future as a medical doctor (You're not the only one Mathilda!). SdnStud, we both went to Berkeley and are from the Bay Area and are both South Asian. I have a feeling we know each other...

bbtbay

Hey All,

Just wanted to give some inside scoops. PSUCOM is having a second look day which I believe is April 9th. The info hasn't been sent yet but a MS2 friend clued me in because she was involved in with the planning. Just thought I'd give you all a heads up cause I certainly didn't know anything about it before. Hope to see you all there!!

afr0dite01 said:
Hey All,

Just wanted to give some inside scoops. PSUCOM is having a second look day which I believe is April 9th. The info hasn't been sent yet but a MS2 friend clued me in because she was involved in with the planning. Just thought I'd give you all a heads up cause I certainly didn't know anything about it before. Hope to see you all there!!

oh how awesome. i didn't even know penn state had a revisit weekend. Thanks for the info :)

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:46:54 -0500
Subject: Penn State College of Medicine Second Look Day
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Prospective Student,

On behalf of the Office of Student Affairs and the medical students of
the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine (PSU COM),
congratulations on your acceptance! Being accepted into medical
school is a tremendous accomplishment and marks the beginning of an
exciting career-one that is filled with decision-making. Being in
your shoes not too long ago, we recognize the difficulty of choosing a
medical school and invite you and your family to our 7th Annual Second
Look Day on Saturday, April 9th, 2005.

Second Look Day is a unique opportunity to see more of what PSU COM
has to offer. We have arranged several opportunities for you to learn
more about student life, housing, financial aid, the Hershey Medical
Center, and our curriculum, which will include a complementary mix of
case-based learning and lecture. This day is entirely student run, so
we hope to give you a more complete and student-oriented idea of what
medical school and life in Hershey is all about.

This day is designed for both those who are deciding and those who
have already decided to attend PSU COM. First and second-year medical
students and faculty will be available throughout the day to answer
any questions that you might have. You will also have the chance to
meet other prospective students and begin forming friendships that
will hopefully ease your transition into your first year of medical
school as part of the class of 2009.

If you would like to attend, we ask that you RSVP by April 1st by
replying to this email. PLEASE NOTE: you must return, either by email
or mail, all the information requested in the attached RSVP form.
Lodging with a student host will be available to you, the prospective
student, upon request. If you would like to stay with a student host,
be sure to include that in your reply. For further information,
including lodging and directions, please see the Office of Student
Admissions website: http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md/admissions/

If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Office of
Student Affairs at (xxx) xxx-xxxx. If you are unable to attend, we
wish you the best regarding your decision and hope you decide to join
us in August.

We look forward to seeing you in April!

Sincerely,
Admissions Liaison Representatives

Are you guys gonna take your families to the second look day?

They don't tell you how long the day is. How are you supposed to know whether you need to fly in the day before (i.e. if the day starts at 8 am) or if you can fly in the very same day (if the day starts at 12 noon)? Anyone planning on staying the night with a host?