Penn State vs. Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul30

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just received an acceptance off the WL from Georgetown yesterday and am super grateful to be in this position! Unfortunately, I'm also stuck on which school to choose because I truly do love both.

Both schools are around the same distance from where I live in NY. Some things I value a lot are medical humanities, student advocacy, research opportunities, and culture. Penn State has a great emphasis on the humanities within its curriculum, and Georgetown has a health justice track that emphasizes patient advocacy outside the clinic. Both universities have shortened P/F pre-clinical years, and I believe both do not rank students during this time. However, Georgetown's clinicals are H/HP/P/F and I'm not sure if that's the same for Penn. Unsure if Georgetown mimics NBME-style for its exams as I know Penn doesn't.

Research was stressed at Penn State during their Second Look Day and the culture seemed awesome; people were really social, faculty was sweet, students didn't seem gunner-y. After browsing on SDN, it seemed like a lot of people said the opposite of Georgetown for faculty, students, and staff which made me nervous. Is that the consensus or is it more like an echo-chamber sort of situation?

Since I was able to visit Penn State, I saw how beautiful and new the facilities are but I realize this probably won't even matter much since I'll be studying anyways? Penn State is in a rural area with a not-so diverse population, whereas Georgetown is almost the opposite which I really strongly prefer. Both have free clinics that students can volunteer at which is great! Also, I saw that Georgetown's rotations were based on a lottery system so they're not all at the same location vs Penn where I'm pretty sure it isn't like that.

In terms of finances, I know there's a pretty big discrepancy when it comes to COL. For Penn State, I received a 50% scholarship so I save on loans there. So far for Georgetown, I'm not sure if they send out a lot of need-based scholarships (hoping they do!) and I plan to live with a family member so housing is taken care of.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to Penn State if it is half the cost of Georgetown.

Nicer facilities is honestly more applicable. You are studying, so you can't usually enjoy the benefits of the surrounding city, but you have to deal with the buildings frequently (whether in pre-clinical or clinical years).

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with Penn State if we’re strictly talking money. But I would choose Georgetown for the location + diversity. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I know Georgetown is changing their clinicals to strictly P/F this upcoming year with a plan to reevaluate it in a couple years I believe, but it sounds like it'll be pretty permanent. I know many people who go to Gtown med and some have had really bad experiences but most are generally pretty good. I don't think the admin is anything particularly good or bad, likely middle of the road. The people at Gtown are great, they select for great people who are service-oriented and advocates.

Gtown is also opening a new surgical pavilion in the coming months (weeks?) which should be gorgeous and the surrounding neighborhood is truly beautiful. There is always construction on campus (which is SMALL) though and that will continue through your time there, just something to consider.

DC is really a fantastic city, cannot recommend it enough. Plus, Gtown is in arguably the nicest part of the city - both a plus as well as a minu$$$. On the contrary, it's a hard city to have a car in, which you'll need for your clinical year which is a PAIN - don't underestimate the inconvenience of paying $150+/mo for parking plus potentially having to move to find a place to accomodate said car.

I don't know anything about Penn but given what you've described, I think that's the better choice. For all the good there is to Gtown, the amount you pay is staggering for what translates to a pretty standard medical education and a good not great match list. Unless living in a premier city like DC and the access that grants to political opportunities is a true game changer, Penn will provide an excellent education for half the cost.