Penn Vet c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g0rang2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I know it's a bit early, but here's a thread for applicants to the University of Pennsylvania for the class of 2026!

I look forward to meeting all of you!

A little bit about me: I'm 33 years old this year and a single mom from out of state. I look forward to keeping you guys updated on my journey while hearing all about yours!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Love the enthusiasm! Also applying OOS :)

I think they are planning on integrating a new curriculum soon, either with c/o 2025 or 2026. Should be interesting!

Hello friends! OOS traditional applicant here

Members don't see this ad :)
Love the enthusiasm! Also applying OOS :)

I think they are planning on integrating a new curriculum soon, either with c/o 2025 or 2026. Should be interesting!
Welcome!

I'm definitely eager to learn more about the new curriculum as well. However, I've also heard from current Penn Vet students that its implementation may be postponed contingent on covid restrictions on physical class attendance. It's been quite a year!

Welcome!

I'm definitely eager to learn more about the new curriculum as well. However, I've also heard from current Penn Vet students that its implementation may be postponed contingent on covid restrictions on physical class attendance. It's been quite a year!
Hi everyone! I will be a first year at PennVet starting in the fall (moving to Philly in a few weeks and so so excited!). That is correct that they are trying to implement a new curriculum, it was supposed to start this year with my class (V25) but because of COVID that had to be pushed back. I think they're hoping to see what happens throughout this upcoming year with COVID and potentially starting it with V26, however nothing is set in stone yet and they will be keeping y'all updated as this school year and your application cycle progresses.

If you have any questions about the application process, PennVet, life in Philly, etc., there are several current students on here floating around that I'm sure would be more than happy to answer them for you!

Best of luck this application cycle to everyone 🥳

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else having trouble with distinguishing the Penn supplemental from the personal statement? I feel like I answered the supplemental in my PS. The supplemental asks:
"Drawing from your experience in the classroom, lab, and/or vet clinic, discuss the development of your interest in veterinary medicine and how these experiences have impacted you. Please also discuss how these experiences have cultivated your understanding of the veterinary medical profession."

Is anyone else having trouble with distinguishing the Penn supplemental from the personal statement? I feel like I answered the supplemental in my PS. The supplemental asks:
"Drawing from your experience in the classroom, lab, and/or vet clinic, discuss the development of your interest in veterinary medicine and how these experiences have impacted you. Please also discuss how these experiences have cultivated your understanding of the veterinary medical profession."

Yeah, for my personal statement I focused more on 1 "story". For my Penn draft I feel like I'm touching more briefly on experiences, connecting them and showing growth between them, kind of more like a road map to where I am today?

It is difficult since there's so much room for crossover between the 2 essays but I'm trying my best not to repeat myself!

Hey guys! I'm super excited to be applying to Penn. I was curious how many letters of rec everyone is sending in to VMCAS? Right now I have 3, but considering adding two more: one would be a more personal reference (my riding instructor since age 9 but also my boss in a few different capacities) as well as a reference from a vet at the clinic I currently work at. I know Penn wants an academic letter, a letter from a vet, and then a 3rd from either of the aforementioned... what happens when you send in more than 3 to VMCAS? Does the school look at what they want or do they just look at the first 3 that show up? Right now I have 2 vets and one professor writing me letters.

Also wondering what people think about me adding a letter from my riding instructor? Does that seem too personal/unrelated to vet med?

Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone this round!!

Hey guys! I'm super excited to be applying to Penn. I was curious how many letters of rec everyone is sending in to VMCAS? Right now I have 3, but considering adding two more: one would be a more personal reference (my riding instructor since age 9 but also my boss in a few different capacities) as well as a reference from a vet at the clinic I currently work at. I know Penn wants an academic letter, a letter from a vet, and then a 3rd from either of the aforementioned... what happens when you send in more than 3 to VMCAS? Does the school look at what they want or do they just look at the first 3 that show up? Right now I have 2 vets and one professor writing me letters.

Also wondering what people think about me adding a letter from my riding instructor? Does that seem too personal/unrelated to vet med?

Hey! You can submit as many as you want to VMCAS, but Penn will only use 3. As for which they look at, there is a question on the supplemental application regarding which you'd like them to read. Personally, I think 2 vets/1 professor is the stronger option so I'd leave your 3 how they are

edit: ignore this because I am wrong lol, listen to Dana

Last edited:
Hey! You can submit as many as you want to VMCAS, but Penn will only use 3. As for which they look at, there is a question on the supplemental application regarding which you'd like them to read. Personally, I think 2 vets/1 professor is the stronger option so I'd leave your 3 how they are
Thank you so much for the advice!!

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 9.43.50 AM.png

Got this straight from the PennVet website! I submitted 4 references and they read all 4 of mine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 337790
Got this straight from the PennVet website! I submitted 4 references and they read all 4 of mine.
What Dana said 👆. I submitted three only because I felt that those three would be the strongest ones. I didn't want to have any subpar reccs that could negatively impact my application. Submit as many as you want but remember that quantity =/= quality.

Except for those few schools specifically asking you to pick 3 eLORs in their supplementary application (only Davis coming to mind right now), most schools will accept and read all the eLORs you submit. But more doesn't necessarily mean better. Definitely make sure all your recommendations are strong recommendations. If the person doesn't know you that well, or isn't that enthusiastic when you asked them, I'd rather leave it.

Except for those few schools specifically asking you to pick 3 eLORs in their supplementary application (only Davis coming to mind right now), most schools will accept and read all the eLORs you submit. But more doesn't necessarily mean better. Definitely make sure all your recommendations are strong recommendations. If the person doesn't know you that well, or isn't that enthusiastic when you asked them, I'd rather leave it.
good call. thanks!!

Hey all! This will be my third year applying to vet school (second year for Penn as an IS applicant) best of luck to everyone!

Anyone know if UPenn sends emails to say they've received your application or do we not hear from them until decisions/interview invites?

Anyone know if UPenn sends emails to say they've received your application or do we not hear from them until decisions/interview invites?

I know last year they emailed me after I submitted letting me know I hadn’t submitted my supplemental application and payment yet but I can’t remember if there was a confirmation email after that.

I just got a confirmation email today that they received my application. I submitted I think on August 26, if not that exact day, some time at the end of august!!

Does anyone have a good understanding of the new curriculum? I am a little confused by it and find the website a bit vague. Thanks!

Current PennVet 3rd year! Always happy to chat if anyone has any questions. All that we've really been told about it is that it was supposed to start with the class of 2024 and has been delayed a couple of times due to COVID. My understanding is that it will change to a block curriculum, with 2 years of didactic instruction and 2 years of clinics.

Hi everybody, first-time applicant OOS. Good luck to all of us :)!

Hi everybody! Just wondering if people from past years remember when they got their interview date.

Hi everybody! Just wondering if people from past years remember when they got their interview date.
Haven’t interviewed with them before, but the timeline on their website says they send interview invitations December-February

Last year first interview invites were sent around December 15th!

In the past, they've sent out waves of interviews weekly (every Friday, I believe) starting in December and going through to February! Penn was the last of the seven schools that I applied to to grant me an interview - I got my invite on 1/21, interviewed on 2/5 and got my acceptance on 2/9. One of your interviewers will call you and let you know the week after your interview if you've been accepted (not sure if you are emailed about waitlisted or denied though).

Good luck everyone, I know the waiting is hard!

Reactions: 2 users
In the past, they've sent out waves of interviews weekly (every Friday, I believe) starting in December and going through to February! Penn was the last of the seven schools that I applied to to grant me an interview - I got my invite on 1/21, interviewed on 2/5 and got my acceptance on 2/9. One of your interviewers will call you and let you know the week after your interview if you've been accepted (not sure if you are emailed about waitlisted or denied though).

Good luck everyone, I know the waiting is hard!

I had a similar timeline but opposite results I got an interview invite 1/7 then interviewed 1/22 and got my rejection notices by email on a similar timeline (I can’t find the exact email I might have hidden it from myself lol) Hopefully round two goes better for me! But overall they’re very good about letting you know in a timely manner and if your rejected you can set up a meeting to review your application with Rob in the spring they send details about that in the notice. (IS second time applicant)

I had a similar timeline but opposite results I got an interview invite 1/7 then interviewed 1/22 and got my rejection notices by email on a similar timeline (I can’t find the exact email I might have hidden it from myself lol) Hopefully round two goes better for me! But overall they’re very good about letting you know in a timely manner and if your rejected you can set up a meeting to review your application with Rob in the spring they send details about that in the notice. (IS second time applicant)
You can also get file reviews in general if you don't get an interview. I don't think mine was through Rob; however, the person actually gave me some details over email (my work schedule was crazy so it was difficult to schedule a time where they were at work). It wasn't much but it was enough to make me feel better for this cycle (I was told that overall I had a competitive application besides gaining more experience and using that to improve my essays - which at the time I received this information I had already obtained a job at a clinic after working at a zoo, and I had a friend read my essays for me)

Hi everyone! I’m a 1st time OOS applicant who is very hopeful for UPenn! Looking forward to seeing some updates here in late December!

Hey guys! I am a 1st time IS applicant. I can't wait for the cycle to start picking up!

Is late December historically the time some decisions are made?
They sent out an email saying that they will start sending out invites in late December, all the way through February for interviews! I believe it was around a month ago the email was sent out :)

Maybe we will start to hear something soon?? I'm getting antsy haha!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure we'll hear anything until January at least, according to their website --

The acknowledgment email did say they would begin sending interview invites out in late December!

I'm not sure we'll hear anything until January at least, according to their website --

the website still says the interview invites will be sent out starting in December! they normally send out invites a few weeks before each interview, so i would expect early January interview invites to go out by the end of December. for example, last year i got my interview invite on December 15 and the interview was for January 8.

Reactions: 6 users
And remember that these interview invites come in different batches. I received my interview invite late February, but I still got offer and scholarship, so don't worry if it's radio silence for a long time!

Reactions: 5 users
weird question but does anyone know if you can access your vmcas after the cycle closed? Like if I wanted to go back and remember what experiences I entered and which schools I applied to? obviously I know I can't edit it anymore.

I just thought about this but is it possible that maybe interview invites will be pushed back a week or so this year due to the 2-week extension for the VMCA apps? That's what happened with OSU. I looked back at the PennVet email and this is what it said:

In late December, Admissions will begin our review of applications. Our interviews will take place in January and February 2022 and will be hosted virtually. If invited for an interview, you will be notified by email with a goal of two (2) weeks notice when possible. We understand that the application process is both time consuming and stressful, so we will make every attempt to be as timely as possible knowing that our process is lengthy and typically lasts through February.

Because interview invitations are sent on multiple dates, not receiving an invite in late December or early January should not be interpreted to mean your application is no longer being considered. We review applications right up to the end of interviews. We will invite applicants to interview each week beginning in late December through the end of our interview period in February. At the end of the interview period, you will receive an email notification if you have not been selected for an interview and are no longer being considered.

Granted, mid-December could be counted as late December and that's what I put down in my calendar with regards to when we should expect to hear back but this was a thought that just crept into my mind lol

weird question but does anyone know if you can access your vmcas after the cycle closed? Like if I wanted to go back and remember what experiences I entered and which schools I applied to? obviously I know I can't edit it anymore.
Hey! I actually tried to do this back in October and it wouldn’t let me view my applications at all. I contacted VMCAS and they said that you could no longer view your application. If you email them, they can email you a PDF copy!

YES I just had to do this because silly me didn't save a copy of my application! They will ask your CAS ID (which if you don't know, don't worry! You can give them the email you used to sign up for VMCAS) and which school you want the PDF from. They were super helpful!

Is interview!!! I literally just cried at work lol

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users