Penn vs Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusty81224

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Texas resident that has been accepted to Baylor and Penn. Is it worth the extra 200k to attend an out of state ivy school? If money didn't matter which would you choose? Will my undergrad dental education really have that much impact on potential residencies? Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm really struggling between the two. :confused: Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

I've always been told to go to the best school possible regardless of price. You will make it up in the long run and have better opportunities to go into a specific residency and maybe even a teaching role someday.

Penn is a great school. I was impressed with really every aspect of it. BUT that doesn't mean Baylor is a bad school or that the education you'd get there is worse than the one you'd get at Penn. And even if it is going to be a slightly worse education, who's to say that it would be a 200K difference. If I were you, I'd go to Baylor. Going to an Ivy would be nice but, so would opening up your own practice 5 years earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Audio said:
Penn is a great school. I was impressed with really every aspect of it. BUT that doesn't mean Baylor is a bad school or that the education you'd get there is worse than the one you'd get at Penn. And even if it is going to be a slightly worse education, who's to say that it would be a 200K difference. If I were you, I'd go to Baylor. Going to an Ivy would be nice but, so would opening up your own practice 5 years earlier.

I am a Baylor Grad and I would not even think about going to another private school. There are no to little advantages in going to a private school as compared to you in-state school (unless your in-state school is bad).

rusty81224 said:
I'm a Texas resident that has been accepted to Baylor and Penn. Is it worth the extra 200k to attend an out of state ivy school? If money didn't matter which would you choose? Will my undergrad dental education really have that much impact on potential residencies? Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm really struggling between the two. :confused: Happy Holidays!

In addition to thinking about the financial differences (which are really important!), also think about where you want to practice. Do you want to stay in Texas? If so, I would bet that Baylor's curriculum and clinical faculty would be a much better prep for getting your Texas dental license than would Penn's. This is not to say that you would be unable to get your Texas dental license after graduating from Penn - but it would probably be easier if you stayed at Baylor. I'm sure Baylor's clinical faculty know the ins and outs of that exam, much better than the faculty at Penn. Just a thought. Good luck.