Penn vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilesandwaves

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros and Cons of attending each? Similar cost, and unsure of specializing. Any input appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't specialize they both cost too much.

Since they cost the same I personally would attend Columbia since I like NY more. Which one is closer to home for you? Do you have family that live near either school? Which school did you like more when you interviewed?

I may be a bit biased but here goes...

Unless you want to do OMFS, I’d go to Penn. You’ll be getting more clinical exposure while still getting a strong basic science curriculum. At Penn, we start assisting in the clinic our first semester and do that through our second year. It makes adjusting to clinic such a smooth transition, and it’s nice to already be a part of treating patients.

Another big thing I’d think about is the fact that at Penn, we have our own dedicated dental faculty that oversees our curriculum. My girlfriend attends Columbia and in my opinion, Penn’s curriculum is more organized and thought out better. It’s not necessarily Columbia’s fault, but it’s what happens when dental students take classes with medical students.

Also, West Philly >>> Washington heights. Penn is right on the undergrad campus next to plenty of other graduate schools. Washington heights can definitely get suspect at times.

Reactions: 1 users

Unless you want to do OMFS, I’d go to Penn. You’ll be getting more clinical exposure while still getting a strong basic science curriculum. At Penn, we start assisting in the clinic our first semester and do that through our second year. It makes adjusting to clinic such a smooth transition, and it’s nice to already be a part of treating patients.

Another big thing I’d think about is the fact that at Penn, we have our own dedicated dental faculty that oversees our curriculum. My girlfriend attends Columbia and in my opinion, Penn’s curriculum is more organized and thought out better. It’s not necessarily Columbia’s fault, but it’s what happens when dental students take classes with medical students.

Also, West Philly >>> Washington heights. Penn is right on the undergrad campus next to plenty of other graduate schools. Washington heights can definitely get suspect at times.
What do you think about living in Pennsylvania versus New York? Where are you from originally?
And I know Columbia is pass/fail while Penn is letter grade. Doesn't that take a lot of pressure off in dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you want to do OMFS, I’d go to Penn..
Not valid. Penn matches plenty of people into OMFS. People have the argument that the medical school curriculum was a game changer. Not to the degree you may think. You still need to put in the time to prepare for the CBSE. Penn students tend to do very well on the CBSE. My year, 9 of us had 75+ on it. A little bit of grade inflation helps too. In recent years Columbia's OMFS numbers have been ridiculous, and kudos to them for that.

IYou’ll be getting more clinical exposure while still getting a strong basic science curriculum.
Fair. I'd agree that Penn's basic science is stronger than most schools, since they really do push for specialization. I remember feeling bad for the people that wanted to do general dentistry. All conversations were about specialization. It got annoying. But DAU ("early clinical exposure") can be hit or miss as times. I'm not sure what year you are at Penn but I'd like to know what your thoughts were on DAU. Some found it valuable, other found it a waste. I was probably somewhere in the middle.

It makes adjusting to clinic such a smooth transition, and it’s nice to already be a part of treating patients.
That transition of having no responsibilities + suctioning to actually scheduling and treating pts are two very different things. It familiarizes you with the clinic atmosphere and the potential clinical group you will be in, but nothing prepares you for actually being in clinic.

There is a new dean at Penn and supposedly there are changes coming, especially to the clinical component of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can you expand upon how Penn's didactic curriculum is stronger than most schools? Did you go to Penn?

I say that just in relation to other dental schools. I'm in no way saying that Penn's basic science education will prepare you for CBSE studying. But that being said, I know people that went to Columbia and Harvard and they made it clear that their "integrated curriculum" gave them a marginal, if any, advantage when it came to the CBSE.

Penn's didactics are heavy in years 1 and 2, or at least that's how it was. In particular, the gross anatomy, pharmacology and pathology courses were probably more thorough than most dental schools. And for what its worth, I'd say that the education in endodontics was by far the best of any of the specialties, and that's saying something considering they ram perio down your throat all 4 years

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think that in dental school the one exam a week policy is better, or block testing? and grades vs. pass/fail system makes me feel that pass/fail is much less stressful

Not to hate but this is so biased...I go to Columbia and we start clinic in our first semester too? Our preclinical is where we actually see patients so that helps. And also, I personally think our curriculum is very well laid out. No one in my class has EVER complained about the curriculum schedule. The Pass/Fail nature and the block exam schedule make it very easy to follow and manage.

Not to hate but this is so biased...I go to Columbia and we start clinic in our first semester too? Our preclinical is where we actually see patients so that helps. And also, I personally think our curriculum is very well laid out. No one in my class has EVER complained about the curriculum schedule. The Pass/Fail nature and the block exam schedule make it very easy to follow and manage.

As an upperclassman at CDM, I feel the exact opposite. We complain all the time and the administration doesn't care all that much. I think Penn seems to know what they are doing more for most specialties and definitely general dentistry imo