Penn Waitlist Poll/thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What did your status page say?

• Tier 1 + invite to Penn Preview

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Tier 1: "you will be considered for admission very early."

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • "Regular" Tier 1

Votes: 57 68.7%
  • Tier 2

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters

Textuality

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So based on last year's thread, there seemed to be a few different "Tier One" waitlist messages, and I'm just wondering if they're actually meaningful. There was a t1+penn preview invite, t1+ "considered for admission very early in the waitlist process", and a "regular" T1. And there's also a tier 2 (I don't know if they get stratified messages as well).

Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah...I think it's odd they claim to not rank the WL, and then have different mssgs...

I also don't know if anyone got invited with a T1 to penn preview. Guess we'll see?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, no clue. I think within each part of the Tier it's unranked and it's whoever Ms. Sheffler decides to take off

Yeah, no clue. I think within each part of the Tier it's unranked and it's whoever Ms. Sheffler decides to take off

Seriously? Yikes...maybe I should write her a letter or something.

"Regular" Tier 1... I thought I nailed my interview :(

hmm...no tier 2's or tier 1's with invites to penn preview...I wonder if that's a good or bad thing?

regular tier 1
The Committee on Admissions has a continuing interest in your application and we hope you remain interested in Penn.

This devastated me. My interview went so well. I've been feeling super demoralized these past few weeks with the consecutive rejections and wait-lists.

regular tier 1
The Committee on Admissions has a continuing interest in your application and we hope you remain interested in Penn.

This devastated me. My interview went so well. I've been feeling super demoralized these past few weeks with the consecutive rejections and wait-lists.

Yeah, I know how you feel, it's hard to not take it personally when you're rejected post interview. I was pretty bummed with the JHOP rejection :( No love from the alma mater.

Do you plan on writing an LOI? I think I will but I have trouble articulating my desire to go. What do you plan on writing? PM me if that's more comfortable for you.

Do you plan on writing an LOI? I think I will but I have trouble articulating my desire to go. What do you plan on writing? PM me if that's more comfortable for you.

Yeah, I'll write an LOI. Really, I just want to convey a sincere desire and commitment to matriculation there if I get in. I"ll give them some reason why i want to go (like the curriculum, the flexibility in dual degrees, the city, etc), and some reasons why I would be a good fit (although I really suck at selling myself). But really I just want to convey that I'd go there no matter what if I got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Textuality, are you going to Pitt's Second Look Weekend? I finally got around registering for it.

Yup :) My fiance and I are driving there. I can't get there till Friday though, hopefully I'll see you around!

I think I just got an email offering me to go on the revisit, if I interpreted it correctly...

Tier 1 regular message. Judging by last year's thread, it looks pretty bleak. Penn was my top choice, too.

I think I just got an email offering me to go on the revisit, if I interpreted it correctly...

!!!! OMG! Congrats !! I'm so jealous, but also happy for you :)

Are you going to go?

Oh, and register it on the poll :p

thanks! im definitely going to go..

and i already voted and cant change my vote >_<

thanks! im definitely going to go..

and i already voted and cant change my vote >_<

Aw...d'oh!
For the record, what did your WL msg say? Was it just a regular Tier 1?

The Committee on Admissions has a very strong interest in your application, and you will be considered for admission very early in the waitlist process.

But I'm applying MSTP, so I may be different...so don't lose hope! I was emailed by the director of the MD/PhD program.

The Committee on Admissions has a very strong interest in your application, and you will be considered for admission very early in the waitlist process.

But I'm applying MSTP, so I may be different...so don't lose hope! I was emailed by the director of the MD/PhD program.

Yeah, I got that first mssg on my status page, makes me kind of hopeful ::insert hopeful puppy dog eyes::. Are you going to write an LOIntent?

Yay Seraph!!!

I think you're definitely going to get in

Yeah, I got that first mssg on my status page, makes me kind of hopeful ::insert hopeful puppy dog eyes::. Are you going to write an LOIntent?

lol, i already have >_< i guess i can always write another one...

lol, i already have >_< i guess i can always write another one...

Dear Skip,

Remember how I said that Penn was my first choice and that I would turn down every other school if only you would give me some lovin' ?? Well I was serious, I expect my lovin' without further delay.

Yours amorously,
Seraph

Haha. Mine might be :

Dear Adcom,

PLLLLLEAAAAAASSSSSSE!!!!!!! With peeps on top!

Dear Skip,

Remember how I said that Penn was my first choice and that I would turn down every other school if only you would give me some lovin' ?? Well I was serious, I expect my lovin' without further delay.

Yours amorously,
Seraph

hahahaha

can you make me a photoshop picture of me proposing to skip? :D

As for my letter, I mailed a copy through registered mail and also emailed one to the office (which in your case would be the med school office).

waitlist tier 1 for me, no special message. I withdrew though.
Jefferson and Penn were my 2 top choices. Since I got in at Jefferson I am very happy going there. Good luck to everybody on the waitlist!:luck:

So it seems like everyone who was waitlisted was placed on tier 2. This dosen't make me feel very hopeful about my chances.

For the record - we have information on the MD/PhD forum that at least one person is on tier 2 waitlist...so it does in fact exist...but there are different waitlists for the 2 programs so no evidence that anyone is on the MD-only one...

For the record - we have information on the MD/PhD forum that at least one person is on tier 2 waitlist...so it does in fact exist...but there are different waitlists for the 2 programs so no evidence that anyone is on the MD-only one...

Maybe...

I've spent all day reading past Penn threads and trying to find into on waitlist movement. It's hard for me to be that optimistic given how good of a school Penn is :(

Hehe, my fiance just wrote me an email reply to my WL news, threatened to go "have a talk with them". That's the nice thing about Bf/gfs, parents might ask you why you didn't get into a school (and somehow expect you to know), whereas your significant just offers physical vengeance. Haha. It's nice to have someone who's behind you 100%.

I just found out of two other applicants with Tier1+revisit. We are all MSTP applicants...so I'm thinking the waitlist/revisit combo is for the md/phd only?

I just found out of two other applicants with Tier1+revisit. We are all MSTP applicants...so I'm thinking the waitlist/revisit combo is for the md/phd only?

Hmm..maybe?
Are you still being considered for the MSTP? Or do you think they'll just offer you an MD acceptance?

Hmm..maybe?
Are you still being considered for the MSTP? Or do you think they'll just offer you an MD acceptance?

they don't do that for Penn - you are only considered for the program that you applied to

Anyone who has read last year's thread care to summarize the process and chances? Thanks!

Apparently a lot of people who got Tier 1 and an invite to second look had a really good shot at getting in, although apparently this year, we only know of MSTP students getting invited to second look...so I don't know what that means.

Apparently people who were "top of tier 1" also had a slightly better chance of getting in (so it seems that they do in fact rank within the tier). Although ppl at the top of tier 1 mssg didn't necessary get called before the regular tier 1 people, so who knows what's going on there...

Oh, and apparently the estimate for ppl off WL was about 40 last year

why do they even have a tier two if barely anyone's on it?

It's definitely misleading for them to have a tier 1 when the majority are in tier 1, not 2. I thought it was a good sign...but apparently it's just code for "general waitlist with almost everyone on it." Sigh...

This is sooo pooey. In some ways it's worse than a rejection. I hate being strung along wondering for months and months where it is I will be going next year.

I had a friend that was in his 2nd week at Pitt when Hopkins called with an invitation. He left Pitt and went to Hopkins. I really hope I don't have to wait until my 2nd week somewhere else to get in here : (

It's definitely misleading for them to have a tier 1 when the majority are in tier 1, not 2. I thought it was a good sign...but apparently it's just code for "general waitlist with almost everyone on it." Sigh...

This is sooo pooey. In some ways it's worse than a rejection. I hate being strung along wondering for months and months where it is I will be going next year.

I had a friend that was in his 2nd week at Pitt when Hopkins called with an invitation. He left Pitt and went to Hopkins. I really hope I don't have to wait until my 2nd week somewhere else to get in here : (

I thought you weren't allowed to offer it to someone who had already started classes somewhere else?

Good point.

yeah, I mean it's entirely possible that the 30 or so of us on SDN just all happen to have the high enough evaluations to get us all on tier 1 WL's. I mean, just reading the profiles on the Penn Hopeful thread was a little ridiculous.

I thought you weren't allowed to offer it to someone who had already started classes somewhere else?

Apparently they did it and left Pitt high and dry as far as finding a student to fill his place. So I'm guessing Pitt either accepted having 1 less student or snatched someone else from another school. I suppose if the school making the offer is willing to accept someone 2 weeks in, then there's nothing the other school can really do about it. I guess all is fair in love and war...and med admissions.

Seems backhanded though, huh?

Apparently they did it and left Pitt high and dry as far as finding a student to fill his place. So I'm guessing Pitt either accepted having 1 less student or snatched someone else from another school. I suppose if the school making the offer is willing to accept someone 2 weeks in, then there's nothing the other school can really do about it. I guess all is fair in love and war...and med admissions.

Seems backhanded though, huh?

Yeah...umm...should I mention in my LOIntent I'm not willing to do that if they offer it to me 2 weeks after classes at Pitt? I mean, I realize it's a letter of INTENT, but hopefully the assumption is that I"ll matriculate assuming I haven't already started somewhere else..

yeah, i thought i had read that somewhere too. i have been wondering about how this works for a while too. can anybody clarify or point me/us in the right direction?

Yeah...umm...should I mention in my LOIntent I'm not willing to do that if they offer it to me 2 weeks after classes at Pitt? I mean, I realize it's a letter of INTENT, but hopefully the assumption is that I"ll matriculate assuming I haven't already started somewhere else..

Oh, I definitely wouldn't mention that. If I were you, I would make it a LOI and that's it. Even if you write a LOI and they were to offer you a position when you're already somewhere else, you would not be obligated or expected to pick up and go to Penn. My friend only went to Hopkins because that was where he REALLY wanted to be.

But I don't think L'sOI obligate you once your somewhere else.

Oh man, I hope Pitt isn't gonna be full of pissed off Penn and Hopkins rejects.