PennVet c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for all this info! Im feeling better every day that I look up more info. Sounds like the perfect sized city for me! We live in Tacoma, WA which we prefer to Seattle because it's still a big city with plenty to do but not as big and scary as Seattle lol. My wife and I are going to do what we can to avoid living with roomates so we are looking closer to Cobb's creek at the moment, what do you think of that area?

We would love to visit but It would literally cost a couple thousand to make it happen just for a couple of days and I need to save up for the actual move. So I guess we are going in blind. But I know people have done that before so I guess I know it's doable.
While I'd say philly isnt as scary as seattle, west philly is no joke. I live near fitler square (so just north of where EB lived!) east of campus, and if I'm being honest its safer over here, especially at night. The general advice I've heard when looking west of the vet school is to be as close as possible, and if you are going further west, to look south, towards clark park. your other option to consider is living out on the main line (Bryn Mawr, Wayne, etc) and taking the train in, which plenty of people do. I havent heard of any class mates living near cobbs creek but just something to consider is while the neighborhood itself might be fine, theres probably some not so great ones between you and the school, so you'll need to be careful commuting at off times for studying or late/early hospital shifts. I'd recommend asking about it in your class facebook group if its been made to get more specifics on each neighborhood, or maybe trying to join some penn grad student housing groups for some info.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any experience with the large animal/ production animal program at Penn? I'm debating between Penn (my IS) and UW-Madison right now, and I was wondering if having the split campus situation at Penn makes a noticeable difference. Thank you <3

When do people start signing leases? I started looking at apartments in the area. I wouldn't want to move until August but many leases start in July

Members don't see this ad :)
When do people start signing leases? I started looking at apartments in the area. I wouldn't want to move until August but many leases start in July
I just signed a lease at 3720 Chestnut. They are 1 bedroom, studios, and 2 bedroom luxury apartments. They are really nice and only 2 blocks away from the school. You are basically on Penn's campus. check it out.....www.thechestnutucity.com. I leased a 1 bedroom. There is a rooftop pool that overlooks the city. I am "moving in" on 7/15.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan to probably move in June just to be settled and really get to know the area before school starts. So hoping to sign a lease in May. How about you?

I plan to probably move in June just to be settled and really get to know the area before school starts. So hoping to sign a lease in May. How about you?
I was hoping to move in august to save money but I found an apartment I like which the lease starts in July. So I'm considering maybe starting a lease earlier but not move until August. (I want to work until the end of July to save more money)

I was hoping to move in august to save money but I found an apartment I like which the lease starts in July. So I'm considering maybe starting a lease earlier but not move until August. (I want to work until the end of July to save more money)
How did you find one with a lease so far out in advance?? Most places are only on the market for less than a month! Let me know if you have any recommendations on place you've found!

Does anyone live outside the city or outside West Philly but still within short driving distance? My husband and I would be moving together with our dog so kind of want a yard and parking… any location recommendations? We’ve checked out Roxbury/Manayunk already which are far with traffic and Northern Liberties can get tricky with traffic as well and has terrible parking options.

Does anyone live outside the city or outside West Philly but still within short driving distance? My husband and I would be moving together with our dog so kind of want a yard and parking… any location recommendations? We’ve checked out Roxbury/Manayunk already which are far with traffic and Northern Liberties can get tricky with traffic as well and has terrible parking options.
SOUTH JERSEY, I'm telling you! 20 minute drive into the city, can easily take either public transit or get a commuter parking pass, and you get TONS more space for way less money! I lived in Collingswood/Oaklyn and Haddonfield and Cherry Hill at different points, all easy commutes! They're all also very popular with folks who commute into the city for work, my best friend's dad did it for 30 years & my dad still does when he has appointments there!

SOUTH JERSEY, I'm telling you! 20 minute drive into the city, can easily take either public transit or get a commuter parking pass, and you get TONS more space for way less money! I lived in Collingswood/Oaklyn and Haddonfield and Cherry Hill at different points, all easy commutes! They're all also very popular with folks who commute into the city for work, my best friend's dad did it for 30 years & my dad still does when he has appointments there!
What about the commute to New Bolton? Also I thought parking was almost impossible for Penn?

What about the commute to New Bolton? Also I thought parking was almost impossible for Penn?
It’ll be possibly hard for New Bolton, but from what I’ve heard you aren’t there a ton for the first 3 years, and then for 4th year you have to find close housing for large animal rotations anyway (it’s 45 min outside the city). It also only adds around 15 min to get to NBC if you work around rush hour traffic (and it’s moreso a problem in the evening than morning, there’s a lot of volume in the mornings but traffic runs fast). STREET parking on a daily basis around your apartment sucks (and trying to get a spot near an apartment in the evening was usually the issue), but I never had a problem finding parking for classes on campus. I usually found either a street spot near 34th & Spruce or parked in one of the garages/lots I mentioned above. I didn’t investigate it very hard, but I’m 99% sure there’s a more economical parking pass available for full time students.

ETA: Yep, here are daily/commuter options: Penn Transportation & Parking. Both of the listed garages are super convenient to the vet school, 4 block walk at absolute most.

My concern with South Jersey is the physical distance is a lot further than anywhere you could live in the city and drive, so if there’s an accident or just extra traffic, your 20 min commute can easily turn into 40min or 1hr. Esp with parking in the city etc. How often is the commute actually 20 mins? Is the traffic better than it would be if you lived in NoLib or Grad Hospital?

My concern with South Jersey is the physical distance is a lot further than anywhere you could live in the city and drive, so if there’s an accident or just extra traffic, your 20 min commute can easily turn into 40min or 1hr. Esp with parking in the city etc. How often is the commute actually 20 mins? Is the traffic better than it would be if you lived in NoLib or Grad Hospital?
Plus the current first years under the new curriculum have been going to New Bolton more than they did under the previous curriculum if you want to factor that in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are all very fair points, especially about the new curriculum. Just trying to offer other options for people who want to prioritize space & a backyard for less money - you absolutely are not going to get that in the city. But people have different priorities. I loved living in the city & found it very easy while I was living in Grad Hospital and while dogsitting in West Philly, but another of my concerns was having a not-awful commute back to NJ for work. I used to do the drive to NBC with some frequency for lectures & to drop off samples, and I only had problems during rush hour. But yes, if there’s an accident on the route you picked (there are multiple/alternate ways to get in & out of the city from Jersey) you may be stuck with a longer commute. I used to make sure I checked Google Maps for the best route before I left the house every day & I tried to work around rush hour as much as possible.

Do most ppl who live in the city (specifically outside of University City) drive or take public transit? I’d like to avoid public transit as much as possible since I’ve heard it’s not great esp late hours, and it’s quite slow.

Do most ppl who live in the city (specifically outside of University City) drive or take public transit? I’d like to avoid public transit as much as possible since I’ve heard it’s not great esp late hours, and it’s quite slow.
I don’t necessarily know what PennVet students do typically, but from my experience this will depend on where in the city you live & what your parking situation is. If you have a guaranteed parking spot at home & live farther than walking distance, 100% drive. I never had any kind of decent parking situation, so I used my car as little as possible. I had no issues with buses being slow, but trains/subway can definitely be a bit slower late night/early morning, and the subway stations can be dicey up by Penn late at night. Walking within the confines of the Penn Police route is pretty safe (my good friend actually did a criminology thesis on the differences inside & outside their routes), but outside it can occasionally be not great.

Silly question but can we wait to put down our deposit until we see financial aid? Or should we do it before. I'm not sure if waiting until first week of April is pushing it when not having fully "committed" yet

Silly question but can we wait to put down our deposit until we see financial aid? Or should we do it before. I'm not sure if waiting until first week of April is pushing it when not having fully "committed" yet

I would contact Robert and ask him what the best course of action would be! He’s super nice and answers usually same day/next day

A reminder for my alternate friends you can contact Rob now and get your position on the list (#12 IS, not hopeful but glad I know🤷🏻‍♀️)

2nd year applying, rejected OOS OSU. fairly close to the top of the PA resident waitlist for UPenn so I'm hopeful. Does anyone have any experience with getting off of UPenn's resident waitlist? or is anyone in here planning to reject their resident seat??

2nd year applying, rejected OOS OSU. fairly close to the top of the PA resident waitlist for UPenn so I'm hopeful. Does anyone have any experience with getting off of UPenn's resident waitlist? or is anyone in here planning to reject their resident seat??
I'm planning to reject my IS seat! Just waiting for financial aid info from another school! Best of luck to you <3

Did anyone not receive their financial aid package yet? I'm still waiting on mine

Hi! I just wanted to let anyone know that I am planning to decline my IS seat. Best of luck to everyone. ❤️

Hey everyone, I’m on the waitlist OOS and I’m wondering if anybody accepted OOS will be rejecting their seat?

hi all! officially accepted my oos seat here! please pm me if y’all wanna get to know each other🤗

• Love
Also accepted my seat!!! Can't wait you guys!!!

• Love
Has anybody been pulled off the waitlist? Also congratulations to everyone who was accepted and decided on their school!

Last edited:
Has anybody been pulled off the waitlist? I was originally 7th on the out of state list and would really appreciate if anybody has an idea of the likelihood of being pulled from the waitlist at that position. I was hoping to hear back by the decision deadline. Also congratulations to everyone who was accepted and decided on their school!
My guess is it might take them a bit longer than other schools since I think they required mail in confirmation and deposit and you had to contact them by email if you were declining their seats. Other schools have an online thing where someone declines their seat and it just triggers the next person on the waitlist. I’m guessing bc penn doesn’t do it this way it could take a few days. I could be wrong tho!

For those of you that chose Penn Vet, why did you choose it? What makes it different than other schools?

Just an FYI for anyone planning housing for the fall - there was a major highway collapse that connects North Philly with the Center City and Penn areas, and realistically it’s probably not getting fixed until a year from now. If you were planning to live in North Philly I would plan for alternate routes or think about a different location!