People asking for advice

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by PharmD500, Sep 2, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. PharmD500

PharmD500 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Dec 31, 2016
    Is it just me or is it annoying that all these people are complaining about things we've warned everyone about? Now they're asking for advice.

We've talked about the saturated market for pharmacists, we've talked about schools lowering their standards and admitting just anybody, we've talked about not going into pharmacy if people have shady backgrounds, you name it!

Lo and behold, people don't listen and then come back complaining that they can't find a job, or their shady background is keeping them from practicing as a pharmacist, or they're failing their classes or can't pass the NAPLEX (because they didn't have what it takes to begin with, and were just admitted because schools have lowered their standards).

I'm not talking about the people who started pharmacy school before all this saturation and bad pharmacy schools opening up everywhere. I'm talking about the people who thought they knew better than everyone and didn't listen. Now they're struggling and asking for advice. Why didn't they just listen before they got themselves in this mess?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. steveysmith54

steveysmith54 Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't go to the prepharmacy forum much, but what I found most fascinating are the I don't want to be a pharmacist, meaning dispense or work in a hospital, but I still want to go to pharmacy school what do you think thread lol...

4. Abby Atwood

Abby Atwood

Jan 4, 2017
    Since this website is an advice forum, many of the people posting questions on here are going through a challenging period in their career. I've actually been pretty successful since graduation; however, if you read through my past questions, I look like a bit of a sad sack. People aren't very likely to come back and post a new thread about their successes after things turn around.

y0ssarian87 and glhm93 like this.
  5. PharmD500

Dec 31, 2016
    Did you read what I wrote? It doesn't seem like you did. I get that this is an advice forum, but when people don't follow the advice given, then come back and expect us to help them, it's annoying.

6. Abby Atwood

Abby Atwood

Jan 4, 2017
    Sorry, no offense meant. I guess I misunderstood the post as being directed at all individuals asking for advice about those topics vs maybe one or two that had previously asked for advice. I haven't been on here that long, so I might be missing some SND culture and history.

7. rph3664

rph3664 7+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2010
    That's high school students for you.

Over the years, I've been involved in a scholarship competition, reading and scoring essays, and it's REEEEEEALLLY obvious when someone's been out of high school for more than a year or two. They just have life experience that high school students do not, regardless of how intelligent they are.

8. Amicable Angora

Amicable Angora Lagomorpha 2+ Year Member

Oct 5, 2012
    BUT PHARMACY IS MY DREAM

9. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Their dream is to get their PharmD and work that cushy clinical or industry weekday 9-5 position in the metro area of their choice.

Not so much working retail in BFE indefinitely.

MindGeek, Saiyo and PharmD500 like this.
  10. lord999

lord999 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    Pharmacist
    Faculty
    I don't know, I seem to recall that your original circumstance (I work for a politically toxic institution looking to burn you) was already discussed in general on the forum multiple times. It's always going to be around the same questions, and it doesn't hurt to think about them again. If you find the questions irritating, just ignore them and their writers. However, just because they are the same underlying questions doesn't mean that they don't deserve to be answered. There's several of us who basically post "Read this thread" in response to some of them if they are that unoriginal. What matters is that they do get answered and sometimes that answer is personalized to them in contemporary circumstances.

And sometimes those answers (and the people) change. Dgroulx no longer is active on this forum, but she'd have something to say about the IT phenomenon. Everyone in ambulatory is always going to complain about the Big 3 (Walgreens, CVS, and Wal-Mart) whether it is working under pressure internally or being driven out of business by them, and they come and go as they either learn to work with them or find something else to do. Everyone who is in hospital eventually starts complaining about the politics or the budget. And everyone complains about the level of stupid (from patients to physicians and everyone in between) and the political correctness takeover and bottom-line consciousness of the healthcare system the longer you work in the business. What's comforting is that some of us have been there and seen that. The only thing I wish I could do better is laugh it off (or at the poster) as well as Chalupa does.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  11. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Even more frightening is imagining the insane answer to that question that a pharmacy school professor might give.

BidingMyTime and PharmD500 like this.
  12. PharmD500

Dec 31, 2016
    Yeah I don't mind those types of questions. I don't know why people keep misunderstanding my original post. Oh well.

It's the not listening and/or not having common sense that annoys me.

I'm thinking more on the lines of PAtoPharm or others who didn't listen to initial advice not to go to pharmacy school, and came back wanting more advice on what to do. Others who got busted for selling illegal drugs, and think they won't have a problem going to pharmacy school, getting licensed, and finding a job in this market. Others who got multiple Ds and Fs in prepharm, are in pharmacy school, fail out and want to sue the school, or they get through school and can't pass the NAPLEX.

@lord999 Btw, if you told me not to work for a certain VA because it has a toxic environment, you better believe I would listen. If I didn't listen and got myself in a bad situation, wouldn't it be ridiculous for me to come back and ask for advice when I didn't listen to the advice initially given?

You guys remember the guy who was taking his errors from the box so his boss wouldn't see them, and he got caught? @owlegrad cracked me up because he was like, I distinctly remember people telling you not to do that and lo and behold, you got caught taking your errors. LMAO. I honestly laughed so hard at that one.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  13. PharmD500

Dec 31, 2016
    LMAO. Here it is! This one was funny though. Not annoying.

BidingMyTime and owlegrad like this.
  14. PharmD500

Dec 31, 2016
    Sb247 said it best in another forum:

"Half the sdn advice threads:

OP: I want to do a dumb thing
    Everyone: that sounds like a dumb thing, here are some less dumb things to do
    OP: you all are dumb for not understanding the brilliance of my dumb thing
    Everyone: we're trying to help you avoid the consequences of.....
    OP: *does dumb thing"

Hahahahahaaaaaaa. He's so funny, and spot on.

15. confettiflyer

confettiflyer Did you just say something? 10+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Best Coast
    Yeah huh. There's a good handful of people that I remember that were very active on here and disappeared, wonder how they turned out. Person that comes to mind is this random person from Hawaii that was really into cars that went to STLCOP that, by my estimate, should be a pharmacist now (was very active as a pre-pharm/P-1).

Not that this is a current thread, but in general, I always see lots of "help, retail isn't what i thought it would be, how do i leave" posts...part of me is like, well you rotated through there and (i hope) you interned there, how is this a surprise?

Rockinacoustic and Abby Atwood like this.
  16. confettiflyer

confettiflyer Did you just say something? 10+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Best Coast
    I will say this, though: sometimes, part of taking a calculated risk involves conscientiously ignoring the advice you are presented.

17. stoichiometrist

Aug 2, 2011
    The problem is that most of them have never stepped foot there until rotations.

steveysmith54 likes this.
  18. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 "Bubs Depot!" 10+ Year Member

So are we at the point where full time retail in a major metro area is a unicorn job? So I have a unicorn job?

19. stoichiometrist

Aug 2, 2011
    It is a unicorn job if you consider it a unicorn job. We won't disagree with you.

With the way the job market is headed, my guess is many more would kill for your job if they're unemployed or floating part time or per diem.

20. Amicable Angora

Oct 5, 2012
    Just because you get a job that isn't straight out abusing you and forcing you to stand for 10 hours in a row doesn't mean it's a unicorn job.

cranialcombustion and PharmD500 like this.
  21. Digsbe

Digsbe 5+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Pharmacist
    I JUST WANT TO HELP PEOPLE!

22. giga

giga 10+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Pharmacist
    USPHS
    The Social Construction of Pharmacist Unicorn Jobs sounds like a great new topic thread and/or potential pharmacy school course.

Abby Atwood likes this.
  23. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2009
    The fact that we are four months post graduation and have two or three new threads asking for job hunting advice on our first page is a little frightening. I hope I don't have to find a new job anytime soon, things look brutal out there.

Saiyo and PharmD500 like this.
  24. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    A unicorn job is a rare job.....so if the shoe fits...

25. Amicable Angora

Oct 5, 2012
    I find it as skeptical as everyone boasting that their partners are 10/10s

26. Lnsean

Lnsean 7+ Year Member

May 26, 2009
    people lie a lot..

27. Gombrich12

Gombrich12 2+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2013
    "32 hours a week is full time, right guys?"
    -New grads in 2017

MindGeek and PharmD500 like this.
  28. stoichiometrist

Aug 2, 2011
    What they say:

What they really mean:

BidingMyTime and y0ssarian87 like this.
  29. CYP-0

CYP-0 Navigator

Nov 12, 2016
    Debts' Ocean
    SDN addicts. Having to recycle old discussion points to generate new talking buzz. Perhaps time for an "SDN Treatment Program (STP)?" Of course, night shift-ers are exempt.:D

30. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 "Bubs Depot!" 10+ Year Member

I'm sorry...night shift in a 3000 store in a very nice suburb of Philamadelphia is very unicornish. At least like albino lobsterish.

BidingMyTime likes this.