1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

People choosing SUNYs over Albert Einstein?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fumoffu, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Fumoffu

Fumoffu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Interviewers and students at both SUNY Stony Brook and SUNY Downstate claimed that people choose their school over Albert Einstein.

Is that actually true? I mean aside from cost, is there any reason why anyone would be doing this?

Seems like AE's residency matches and research opportunities are much better.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. willthatsall

willthatsall Unretired
    7+ Year Member

Could it be the cost of a state school compared to Albert Einstein? Just a guess.

4. krull

krull Membership Revoked
    Removed

you would choose suny over a school named after the man who discovered relativity? :thumbdown:

5. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    the suny match lists are pretty good. Stonybrook & Downstate are pretty desirable schools. I believe Stony had a few derm matches this year and Downstate matches consistently well.

Also, some peeps might not want to be in the Bronx.
    bonnie

6. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

AECOM isn't the type of school that is going to make your residency..... a la top 10 schools. Any edge they have over SUNY's in terms of the match is due only to self selection. I'd rather be at a SUNY and save 60k or so than be in the bronnx, but to each their own.....

7. Heal&Teach

Heal&Teach cogito ergo sum
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey folks,

As a native of the Bronx, I feel a need to defend it ;). There's nothing wrong with the Bronx, esp. the area that surrounds Albert Einstein (went to high school right down the block). I think that Einstein is a great school, and the students are very happy. But yes, when it comes down to finances, the money is definitely better at the state schools. I vote for the State University of New York :)

H&T