People choosing SUNYs over Albert Einstein?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fumoffu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewers and students at both SUNY Stony Brook and SUNY Downstate claimed that people choose their school over Albert Einstein.

Is that actually true? I mean aside from cost, is there any reason why anyone would be doing this?

Seems like AE's residency matches and research opportunities are much better.

Members don't see this ad.

Could it be the cost of a state school compared to Albert Einstein? Just a guess.

you would choose suny over a school named after the man who discovered relativity? :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
the suny match lists are pretty good. Stonybrook & Downstate are pretty desirable schools. I believe Stony had a few derm matches this year and Downstate matches consistently well.

Also, some peeps might not want to be in the Bronx.
bonnie

AECOM isn't the type of school that is going to make your residency..... a la top 10 schools. Any edge they have over SUNY's in terms of the match is due only to self selection. I'd rather be at a SUNY and save 60k or so than be in the bronnx, but to each their own.....

Hey folks,

As a native of the Bronx, I feel a need to defend it ;). There's nothing wrong with the Bronx, esp. the area that surrounds Albert Einstein (went to high school right down the block). I think that Einstein is a great school, and the students are very happy. But yes, when it comes down to finances, the money is definitely better at the state schools. I vote for the State University of New York :)

H&T