People have given up on the quarantine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like the first fair weather weekend ended the quarantine.

Here in suburban Phillyland, my neighbors had a huge party, no masks. People walking around, no masks. Dudes having cars and coffee meetups, no masks.

It's like someone flipped a switch and nobody cares anymore. Oh well. I'll stay inside and let the dip**** herd create its own immunity.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
All good, I wanna see wave #2 incoming

Reactions: 3 users
Yup, it's nice out so people think it's yesterday's news. MA will finally start a stay at home order while NH will be reopening stores soon. Live free or die right?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like the first fair weather weekend ended the quarantine.

Here in suburban Phillyland, my neighbors had a huge party, no masks. People walking around, no masks. Dudes having cars and coffee meetups, no masks.

It's like someone flipped a switch and nobody cares anymore. Oh well. I'll stay inside and let the dip**** herd create its own immunity.
Is it me or the media just dialed down the COVID-related news in the past few days?

Reactions: 1 user
"Dr." Trump says that sunlight and hot weather are effective for eradicating COVID-19. Didn't you see his impressive science fair poster? #The perfect poster. Tanning beds and UV light for all...the next step in the evolution of the human species involves altering one's skin to a "healthy" orange color as a means of survival

Sarcasm

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This is where the true test begins.

Was the shut down pointless or not? We have more active cases then ever so this should get much worse

But will it?

Was the shut down pointless or not? We have more active cases then ever so this should get much worse

But will it?

Well, it's hard to say it was "pointless" since the point was to flatten the curve. I agree with the sentiment above that half-measures get half-baked results. However it would be hard to convince me that the measures taken didn't flatten the curve at least somewhat. We will see by how much shortly I suppose.

Reactions: 6 users

But will it?
If people naturally distance, maybe not. Wait till autumn and definitely winter though. FWIW, anyone with severe respiratory disease (like me) or over 80 probably benefitted, and I still will be a shut in, not that it is a big difference from my old lifestyle.

And if it gets much worse, we will need enough deaths to naturally scare the average person to be careful. By opening up and letting the right kind of people be reckless, it will sort itself out like my own neighborhood.

What I mean is, we locked down with very few cases (not what I'm getting at if you disagree)

We have nearly a million active cases. Shouldn't it spread much more quickly now?

Or was the point just to scare the crap out of the high risk people and let them stay home but have us low risk go back to normal?

What I mean is, we locked down with very few cases (not what I'm getting at if you disagree)

We have nearly a million active cases. Shouldn't it spread much more quickly now?

I think I hear what you are saying and I certainly agree that reopening while still in the growth phase is madness.

But we will never know how many cases we had when we went into "lockdown" because we didn't have the capacity to test.

Reactions: 2 users
What it all comes down to is how many actual cases we have.

It wouldn't surprise me if we were well over 30 million asymptomatic cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a lack of share sacrifice in this country.

Reactions: 7 users

Or was the point just to scare the crap out of the high risk people and let them stay home but have us low risk go back to normal?
I think I hear what you are saying and I certainly agree that reopening while still in the growth phase is madness.

But we will never know how many cases we had when we went into "lockdown" because we didn't have the capacity to test.

I've been afraid of this from the start. People think that flattening the curve is victory over the virus, when it is really just a mitigation strategy for hospital load.

Good news - our daily rate of infections has ceased to grow.
Bad news - we are now holding steady at our peak daily infection rate.

Opening up before our infection rate actually declined is just putting us in a bad spot, not that I am surprised in the least.

Reactions: 5 users
People didn’t act all crazy until Trump’s liberation tweets.

I wouldn't be surprised if wave #2 is here earlier than this fall, unless there are 30 million of asymptomatic cases, then all bets are off.

I've been afraid of this from the start. People think that flattening the curve is victory over the virus, when it is really just a mitigation strategy for hospital load.

What do you think victory is? Flattening the curve is the goal until we have a treatment or vaccine.

No surprises, as an average person is too uneducated to understand the hows and the whys of a quarantine.

• Hmm
To me, flattening is such a broad term. The cases are not going up exponentially but we are still at 25-30k a day for weeks now. If we dismiss Chinese numbers and just focus on South Korea and even Italy, there is a clear peak and then a downward trend. What I see are hotspots popping up all over the place as NYC started trending down.

Current death rate is 1759 per day. Per White House, the projected death rate is 3000 per day in June. You do the math.

• Sad
  • Wow
There are way more cases than reported. They tested a local nursing home of around 100 residents. 62% of them tested positive, all were asymptomatic.

• Wow
  • Sad
Def. a fascinating research project for the future...I bet a Pharm-D who was really good at math/statistics/psychology etc. could make coin doing the upcoming flurry of analysis....

There are way more cases than reported. They tested a local nursing home of around 100 residents. 62% of them tested positive, all were asymptomatic.
Analyze that supply of tests...

What do you think victory is? Flattening the curve is the goal until we have a treatment or vaccine.
Absolutely, so flattening the curve is step one toward victory. That's why I think it is dangerous for people to say we can open now that we've flattened the curve. I'd like to at least see decline in the curve before things open. That's the plan in WA at least.

I went to Bear Mountain State Park expecting to get some nice isolation and thinking that no one else would have thought to go hiking, etc.

Wrong...when I got there, the parking lot was filled to capacity, people were parking on the side of the mountain, people lying down all over the fields, walking around without masks. I was tempted to put on my gas mask and start shooting my rifle into the air to scare them off.

Is it me or the media just dialed down the COVID-related news in the past few days?
I don't watch the news but i think they, government and media, milked everything they could out of this silliness. They know that people know it's silly and don't care anymore. Also, they f#@ked everyone up enough that people got real s#!t to deal with at this point like finding a new job and feeding their family. Or hooking up and getting laid haha apparently, this is an issue for some.

I went to Bear Mountain State Park expecting to get some nice isolation and thinking that no one else would have thought to go hiking, etc.

Wrong...when I got there, the parking lot was filled to capacity, people were parking on the side of the mountain, people lying down all over the fields, walking around without masks. I was tempted to put on my gas mask and start shooting my rifle into the air to scare them off.

They prob think a mask is not necessary cause they're outside.

Russia is starting to take off now.

IMO, it's airborne and can get in through the eyes. I might look crazy, but I've been wearing a full-face respirator and a bandanna everywhere I go.
I would get a Darth Vader helmet. Not because of COVID19 but just because... lol

How do we square up that the Triumph meat processing plant tested all of its workers and 17 percent (#370) were positive and ALL of them were asymptomatic? Find 370 random people on the street and you will surely find some with “symptoms” of corona even if they aren’t positive. Strange case.

How do we square up that the Triumph meat processing plant tested all of its workers and 17 percent (#370) were positive and ALL of them were asymptomatic? Find 370 random people on the street and you will surely find some with “symptoms” of corona even if they aren’t positive. Strange case.
This virus isn't nearly as deadly as we were lead to believe.

What kind of death rate did you expect? I was expecting about 2-3% based on early data. From the reported numbers it looks like it is almost 7% worldwide. Of course there is that thing of asymptomatic cases. You are speculating there are 10-20x of asymptomatic cases based serum test? Maybe you are right. I was in China late January. I should do a test.

• Sad
What kind of death rate did you expect? I was expecting about 2-3% based on early data. From the reported numbers it looks like it is almost 7% worldwide. Of course there is that thing of asymptomatic cases. You are speculating there are 10-20x of asymptomatic cases based serum test? Maybe you are right. I was in China late January. I should do a test.

It's too early to rely on the first few results but I've seen as low as 2.5% the population in California to as high as 20% in parts of New York. This gives a range of 0.8 to 0.1 death rate.

I had that COVID toes thing like 6 weeks ago. They were red, itchy, bilateral, skin was basically peeling off. I truly do wonder if I had it.

• Wow
Sounds like we are good to go for Ocean City. Bring Old Timer, he seems stressed out and can benefit from our herd immunity.

It's too early to rely on the first few results but I've seen as low as 2.5% the population in California to as high as 20% in parts of New York. This gives a range of 0.8 to 0.1 death rate.

Didn’t you say no more than 30,000 deaths?

New study projects 200k new cases per day by June due to reopening too soon.

These governors are going to kill us all.

They're all following your boy Trump's lead. He's completely blown this entire mess. Trying to blame China for the weak US response isn't landing anywhere outside of conservative circles. People are dying. His economy has tanked. He is down 6-8 points to Biden. Polls in swing states not looking good. The US outbreak is quickly becoming the worst in the world. This is the only move he has left. Rip the bandaid off. Get it over with as fast as possible so that the economy can come hopefully back before the election. Hope that fewer than 150,000 people die. Send out the best propagandists you can find to muddy the waters. Invent some nonsense about China creating the virus in a lab.

All that's going to happen is that the virus will target his base (old, obese) and kill a significant amount of them off.

Obese people are Trump’s base?

If he had acted early and aggressively, this would have been his legacy. Instead, he dragged his feet. He thought it was a hoax and did nothing for months.

If he had acted early and aggressively, this would have been his legacy. Instead, he dragged his feet. He thought it was a hoax and did nothing for months.
Yes, Trump is a poster child for the body positivity movement...I mean, look at those curves and that THICC-NESS
1588685484571.png

1588685517780.png

1588685546906.png

• Haha
Blame Trump?

They could have let him do it on his own but said he can't do that.

This is all on the governor's now. Trump did his part.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Yes. Compare the obesity rates in the states he won and the states he didn't.