People have given up on the quarantine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Blame Trump?

They could have let him do it on his own but said he can't do that.

This is all on the governor's now. Trump did his part.

It's kind of cute watching Trump supporters try to mental gymnastics this away.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Blame Trump?

They could have let him do it on his own but said he can't do that.

This is all on the governor's now. Trump did his part.

Can you imagine if Obama had said that?

Do you see other Presidents and Prime Ministers say, “I am done..up to the governors now”?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is over reporting of deaths and the patients that test positive are tested a second time because of the high margin of error from the available test kits... We are way below any projection. Meanwhile, hospitals around the country are functioning at <50% capacity and 20+ million have filed for unemployment. Businesses are filing for bankruptcy, the country is spending trillions of dollars we do not have to sustain this COVID overreaction.

But sure... lets blame the white, racist, Trump supporting, gun-toting, xenophobic, heterosexual, Fox watching, air breathing, meat eating, non-organic consuming, non-gender fluid, CO2 producing, Republicans for protesting government overreach. You know, something every generation of American has done since the inception of this country.

• Dislike
There is over reporting of deaths and the patients that test positive are tested a second time because of the high margin of error from the available test kits... We are way below any projection. Meanwhile, hospitals around the country are functioning at
But sure... lets blame the white, racist, Trump supporting, gun-toting, xenophobic, heterosexual, Fox watching, air breathing, meat eating, non-organic consuming, non-gender fluid, CO2 producing, Republicans for protesting government overreach. You know, something every generation of American has done since the inception of this country.

Don’t play the victim card.

There is over reporting of deaths and the patients that test positive are tested a second time because of the high margin of error from the available test kits...

Is this personal experience or do you have actual statistics on this?

The high margin of error is from false negatives, not false positives. The majority of the covid tests have a higher specificity of greater than 95%, meaning it's highly unlikely to be false positive...

People who are negative but symptomatic are tested again because there nasal swab has approximately 25% chance for a false negative. If they're positive and they're tested again, it's usually to test if they still have the virus.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol, says the Democrat.

When are we going to stop pretending this about COVID and start talking about how American citizens are getting screwed from back and forth political games.

Man up, fool.

I’ve just decided that I don’t know what the hell to believe anymore.

I am just a lowly citizen of this world. I am expected to work, consume, eat McDonald’s, and shut up. That’s all

Stop assaulting me with your toxic masculinity

Haha! “Toxic masculinity”. I love that!

Do you mind if I steal that phrase from you? I can’t wait for the next person to flex up on me - I’m going to drop that on them like a bomb.

• Haha
Sounds like we are good to go for Ocean City. Bring Old Timer, he seems stressed out and can benefit from our herd immunity.
Not stressed at all except for the fact thousands of people died unnecessarily and the economy tanked for the same reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard a couple of old ladies yell about keeping away from them.
Doesn’t help to live in a retirement community

Not stressed at all except for the fact thousands of people died unnecessarily and the economy tanked for the same reason.

Did we cause the German economy to tank too?

• Hmm
Did we cause the German economy to tank too?
If you want to be a troll. Go ahead. Nobody knows what would have happened if we had been less lax like Sweden, who buy the way has 30% more fatalities per capita than the US. So you do the math. It is clear to anyone with 1/2 a brain who has spent any reading outside of the news media this virus is spread by length of human contact and would never be stopped unless we used some type of physical distancing. All you would have is more sick people, an overwhelmed healthcare system and the economy would still tank. Look at Sweden's economy. Just as bad as the rest of Western Europe.

It's folly to think our economy would be fine if we did nothing. The hobgoblin of small minds.

If you want to be a troll. Go ahead. Nobody knows what would have happened if we had been less lax like Sweden, who buy the way has 30% more fatalities per capita than the US. So you do the math. It is clear to anyone with 1/2 a brain who has spent any reading outside of the news media this virus is spread by length of human contact and would never be stopped unless we used some type of physical distancing. All you would have is more sick people, an overwhelmed healthcare system and the economy would still tank. Look at Sweden's economy. Just as bad as the rest of Western Europe.

It's folly to think our economy would be fine if we did nothing. The hobgoblin of small minds.

All I said was did we cause the German economy to fall too? You brought up the economy not me.

The country would still be closed even if we had 100 deaths.

• Haha

We're going to find out soon enough. The only "hope" is that we have enough spare capacity as people get back to normal. I am skeptical, because although we have built some flex beds out there, we are running low on paralytics, replaceable ventilator supplies, and most of the raw supply chain. Shifting to South America, India, and Israel is not easy and requires a change in our acquisition strategy.

Our new normal may very well be the pre-antibiotic era in terms of worker illness and absence. There is no clear way to get back to previous productivity levels, we will have to make do with a different level of productivity. Although, we might have jobs for dumb labor as we do want to shift production of certain things to the US now.

All I said was did we cause the German economy to fall too? You brought up the economy not me.

The country would still be closed even if we had 100 deaths.

I would argue the opposite, with what we know now, we will keep this country open with 100,000 (or far more) deaths a year now that we are resolved to take the losses and we need to be productive at some level. If you consider $3M a year to be the productive lifespan of the average American worker (actuaries value the life much less than that), how many productive "lives" did we kill with the shutdown? There will be extensive pressure to reopen as we are really realizing the cost of our shutdown. There is a cold calculation that needs to be made on the two. You go to work every day risking your life, whether it is from driving to work, potentially meeting the patient that gives you the communicable disease (flu, pneumonia, or the rare ones like plague), or getting a heart attack from the stress. This will eventually be normalized and just is a burden everyone is going to have to bear.

I would argue the opposite, with what we know now, we will keep this country open with 100,000 (or far more) deaths a year now that we are resolved to take the losses and we need to be productive at some level. If you consider $3M a year to be the productive lifespan of the average American worker (actuaries value the life much less than that), how many productive "lives" did we kill with the shutdown? There will be extensive pressure to reopen as we are really realizing the cost of our shutdown. There is a cold calculation that needs to be made on the two. You go to work every day risking your life, whether it is from driving to work, potentially meeting the patient that gives you the communicable disease (flu, pneumonia, or the rare ones like plague), or getting a heart attack from the stress. This will eventually be normalized and just is a burden everyone is going to have to bear.

Oh I agree we will hopefully not shut down again if/when this comes back.

Keeping us shut down is definitely destroying the economy.

• Dislike
Oh I agree we will hopefully not shut down again if/when this comes back.

Keeping us shut down is definitely destroying the economy.

To be clear, I do not think either of us are advocating for an ubermensch position, we still have the health sympathy that people should live to a good old age and die from natural causes, but there has to be a balance between the level of production versus the level of support. The shutdown is not sustainable, but it was necessary for information gathering as well as possible circuit break.

I do not think though that if the government opened everything that it would change what responsible (and legally liable) promoters would be able to attract. Even stupid people eventually get the idea that cruising with Carnival is not safe when they don't clean well that they should not be on the ship (the improvement in cleanliness was due to repeated GI infection outbreaks). As the country reopens, I do expect people to have new patterns of living for a while. If not, then we have internalized the risk.

Part of the new normal are things like we have to have a better way to run a slaughterhouse, because too many people get sick too quickly like a cruise ship. Whether that means changes to HAACP, building type, etc. is something that the industry needs to explore. It happened to us with USP 797 and now 800, so change is possible if you have enough dead bodies to justify it. We certainly have more than enough in this case to do so, but the first wave is panic, the second wave will be the behavioral changes as we live a social experiment to determine what can and what we cannot do now that coronavirus is a part of our lives.

Then again, Edward Ashton's Three Days In April about what life is like in an uncontrollable epidemic, and the short story Cyril Kornbluth's The Marching *****s plays out with cruise ships rather than rockets is a thought passing through my head.

To be clear, I do not think either of us are advocating for an ubermensch position, we still have the health sympathy that people should live to a good old age and die from natural causes, but there has to be a balance between the level of production versus the level of support. The shutdown is not sustainable, but it was necessary for information gathering as well as possible circuit break.

I do not think though that if the government opened everything that it would change what responsible (and legally liable) promoters would be able to attract. Even stupid people eventually get the idea that cruising with Carnival is not safe when they don't clean well that they should not be on the ship (the improvement in cleanliness was due to repeated GI infection outbreaks). As the country reopens, I do expect people to have new patterns of living for a while. If not, then we have internalized the risk.

Part of the new normal are things like we have to have a better way to run a slaughterhouse, because too many people get sick too quickly like a cruise ship. Whether that means changes to HAACP, building type, etc. is something that the industry needs to explore. It happened to us with USP 797 and now 800, so change is possible if you have enough dead bodies to justify it. We certainly have more than enough in this case to do so, but the first wave is panic, the second wave will be the behavioral changes as we live a social experiment to determine what can and what we cannot do now that coronavirus is a part of our lives.

Then again, Edward Ashton's Three Days In April about what life is like in an uncontrollable epidemic, and the short story Cyril Kornbluth's The Marching *****s plays out with cruise ships rather than rockets is a thought passing through my head.

This is where the true test begins.
Was the shut down pointless or not? We have more active cases then ever so this should get much worse
But will it?

Yes. We have seen what COVID is doing in other countries, and the death rate when countries did not shut down (Brazil, Sweden), or when they shut down late (UK, Belguim.) There is no reason to think things will magically be different here in the US. Our shutdown was not pointless, and ending it now, we will see a surge in cases and deaths. :(

There are way more cases than reported. They tested a local nursing home of around 100 residents. 62% of them tested positive, all were asymptomatic.

But were they followed for 2 -3 weeks after testing to see if/when they developed symptoms? It's known COVID can have a 14 day incubation period, some cases have reported 24 or even 40+ days (unlikely but....who knows?) A positive test tells us that someone is contagious, it doesn't tell us if or when they will develop symptoms.

They're all following your boy Trump's lead. He's completely blown this entire mess. Trying to blame China for the weak US response isn't landing anywhere outside of conservative circles. People are dying. His economy has tanked. He is down 6-8 points to Biden. Polls in swing states not looking good. The US outbreak is quickly becoming the worst in the world. This is the only move he has left. Rip the bandaid off. Get it over with as fast as possible so that the economy can come hopefully back before the election. Hope that fewer than 150,000 people die. Send out the best propagandists you can find to muddy the waters. Invent some nonsense about China creating the virus in a lab.
All that's going to happen is that the virus will target his base (old, obese) and kill a significant amount of them off.

In spite of Trump's mishandling of this virus (and plenty of Republicans and Democrats in congress also mishandling it)....Trump being down in the polls is a blip. Nobody is going to vote for Biden, who quite obviously has serious Alzheimer's/dementia. And this will be clear once the debates start. Biden is an insult to all Democrat votes, they had an entire panel of good candidates, anyone of which could have put up at least a reasonable fight against Trump, and the Democrat elite went with the senile candidate who literally has no chance against Trump. For me, I will 100% be voting 3rd party (and before you tell me that means I'm really voting for Trump, (or for Biden :laugh: ), no, it means I live in IL which is 100% a Democrat state and the Democrat candidate will 100% always win the state even if he has advanced dementia. Trust me, even dead people vote Democrat in IL, so it really doesn't matter how I vote. I can vote 3rd party and help the 3rd party get ballot access without "throwing" the election.)

There is over reporting of deaths and the patients that test positive are tested a second time because of the high margin of error from the available test kits... We are way below any projection. Meanwhile, hospitals around the country are functioning at <50% capacity and 20+ million have filed for unemployment. Businesses are filing for bankruptcy, the country is spending trillions of dollars we do not have to sustain this COVID overreaction.

Everything I've seen says deaths are *underreported.* You might be right that we can't sustain a lock-down, but that doesn't by any means the lockdown was an "overreaction." It just means society can sustain the best course of action.

Lol, says the Democrat.
When are we going to stop pretending this about COVID and start talking about how American citizens are getting screwed from back and forth political games.

But it is about COVID, not politics. My SO is a strong Trump supporter (other's on this thread, please don't judge me....), yet my SO in spite of love for Trump, recognizes that COVID is a serious problem and not something made up by anti-Trumpers. Many Trump supporters feel the same way. But maybe this is the difference between the independent voters who voted for Trump as the best (or least worst) of the major candidates, as opposed the the deranged Trump supporters who think he is God and can do no wrong.

The *ONLY* reason we are below projected cases/deaths, is because most states have done lock-downs....for the sole purpose of keeping down projected cases/deaths. But because the lockdowns worked, people like you:eek::eek::eek: are thinking they were unneeded?

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
What I'm waiting to see is the death rate of healthy people when the actual number is... Estimated?

If someone has already seen the current death rate for a healthy person, please share.

The average age of a virus victim is 82. Twenty percent and up of deaths are nursing home deaths

The average age of a virus victim is 82. Twenty percent and up of deaths are nursing home deaths

The average age is 82? Citation please. Would that be mean, median, or mode? But even if that figure is accurate, do people over 80 not count?

Setting aside the obvious issue of ageism here, you do understand that means that 80% of the deaths are not in nursing homes, right? Like even if you excluded those deaths there would still be a LOT of deaths?

This isn't what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for herd immunity. If the death rate is well under 0.1 for a healthy person, they should be set free.

I now know quite a few people with positive tests and luckily haven't had any serious cases.

I'm looking for herd immunity. If the death rate is well under 0.1 for a healthy person, they should be set free.

The Holy Grail. You do realize there are seven Corona virues and we have herd immunity from none of them.
I now know quite a few people with positive tests and luckily haven't had any serious cases.

They may not be sick, but they are spreading to others..........

The Holy Grail. You do realize there are seven Corona virues and we have herd immunity from none of them.

They may not be sick, but they are spreading to others..........

If death rate is low, a person should be allowed to take that risk. Just like they are allowed to smoke cigarettes.

Secondhand smoke kills over 40k people per year and approximately 2.5 million people since 1964

Last edited:
Study of 5700 patients in the Northwell Hospital System in NYC Median Age 63.

Study in China, median age 56

Study at NYU median age was 52

GE​
Number of DeathsShare of deathsWith underlying conditionsWithout underlying conditionsUnknown if with underlying cond. Share of deaths
of unknown + w/o cond.
0 - 17 years old
3​
0.04%
3​
0​
0​
0%​
18 - 44 years old
309​
4.5%
244​
25​
40​
1.0%​
45 - 64 years old
1,581​
23.1%
1,343​
59​
179​
3.5%​
65 - 74 years old
1,683​
24.6%
1,272​
26​
385​
6.0%​
75+ years old
3,263​
47.7%
2,289​
27​
947​
14.2%​
TOTAL
100%​
5,151​
137​
1,551​
24.68%​
Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

It is clear increasing age is accompanied by increasing risk.

I know that's not exactly what you asked for but there are a lot of people with underlying health conditions.

Quote from elsewhere

About four in ten adults (37.6%) ages 18 and older in the U.S. (92.6 million people) have a higher risk of developing serious illness if they become infected with coronavirus, due to their older age (65 and older) or health condition.

So even if it is 0.1% for healthy adults. It is hard to visualize 62.4% going about their business with no concerns.

Last edited:
Close the country or not, people will be afraid to return to normal life regardless

I know that's not exactly what you asked for but there are a lot of people with underlying health conditions.

Quote from elsewhere

About four in ten adults (37.6%) ages 18 and older in the U.S. (92.6 million people) have a higher risk of developing serious illness if they become infected with coronavirus, due to their older age (65 and older) or health condition.

So even if it is 0.1% for healthy adults. It is hard to visualize 62.4% going about their business with no concerns.

even if you are in the 60%, you probably have a close someone who is in the 40%

this country is literally the fattest, one of the unhealthiest and very anti-science (read, the dumbest). Is it any wonder it’s hitting us the hardest

We also have an employer-based healthcare system that provides terrible access even in normal times, and a majority of population that live beyond their means and doesn’t save. Combine all of this together, and you have a perfect storm

Last edited:
The NYU study showed the main indicators of Hospitalization were:

Age over 75
Obesity
CHF
Diabetes
Hypertension

The kicker was this had no correlation with a bad outcome. Once in the hospital the indicators for bad outcome were:

Strongest critical illness risks were admission oxygen saturation <88% (OR 6.99, 95% CI
4.5-11.0), d-dimer>2500 (OR 6.9, 95% CI, 3.2-15.2), ferritin >2500 (OR 6.9, 95% CI, 3.2-15.2),
and C-reactive protein (CRP) >200 (OR 5.78, 95% CI, 2.6-13.8). In the decision tree for
admission, the most important features were age >65 and obesity; for critical illness, the most
important was SpO2<88, followed by procalcitonin >0.5, troponin <0.1 (protective), age >64 and
CRP>200.
Conclusions: Age and comorbidities are powerful predictors of hospitalization; however,
admission oxygen impairment and markers of inflammation are most strongly associated with
critical illness.

Has nothing to do with ageism.The Spanish flu hurt the young.I actually thought the percentage of deaths in nursing homes was 20 percent.That is Texas.Pennsylvania and California it is closer to 40 percent.I dont know the exact figures because some states do not disclose that data.New York 30 percent actually forced homes to accept positive patients released from a hospital.

They are a bit more prepared than 1 month ago at least for wave 2.

There is no way we are coming back to normal. Even if people are going back to "normal", there are 25%+ who adopt the new normal and stay with it; it only takes a month to develop a new habit. Online meeting (business travel is going way down), telemedicine, home study, Netflix, Amazon, online retailing, mail orders, no more shopping malls, etc are gaining big time. The businesses landscape has changed forever.

Reactions: 5 users
They are a bit more prepared than 1 month ago at least for wave 2.

There is no way we are coming back to normal. Even if people are going back to "normal", there are 25%+ who adopt the new normal and stay with it; it only takes a month to develop a new habit. Online meeting (business travel is going way down), telemedicine, home study, Netflix, Amazon, online retailing, mail orders, no more shopping malls, etc are gaining big time. The businesses landscape has changed forever.

I agree with this. I see this whole thing as a transformation of our lives. Remember how the world was before 9/11? Remember when we could walk to a terminal and greet people coming off of a plane?

It’s a change like that - however I think it’s going to be 10x larger. It’s unfortunate really. I gotta say - I don’t like it one bit. And I honestly am starting to worry about the future. Something seems way off...

I don’t care how introverted people are - over the long run we are not meant to live like this.

Last edited:
  • Love
But it is about COVID, not politics. My SO is a strong Trump supporter (other's on this thread, please don't judge me....), yet my SO in spite of love for Trump, recognizes that COVID is a serious problem and not something made up by anti-Trumpers. Many Trump supporters feel the same way. But maybe this is the difference between the independent voters who voted for Trump as the best (or least worst) of the major candidates, as opposed the the deranged Trump supporters who think he is God and can do no wrong.

The *ONLY* reason we are below projected cases/deaths, is because most states have done lock-downs....for the sole purpose of keeping down projected cases/deaths. But because the lockdowns worked, people like you:eek::eek::eek: are thinking they were unneeded?

Lol, it blows my mind how warped the liberal mindset can be of conservatives. Let me elaborate my previous point in a way you will understand...

***Turns MAGA hat around on head... blows out candle resting next to Trump statue... grabs semi-automatic-bump stock AR off shelf with one hand, grabs confederate flag with the other on way out of trailer... jumps in diesel fueled lifted truck, does a couple of donuts in yard before heading off to the local internet cafe to use the small TV connected to the interweb***
  1. I never said the quarantine was unneeded. The quarantine has done its job and will continue on in targeted populations.
  2. Trump is nothing more than a public servant acting on the interests of the people who voted him into office. No one cares what he "wants".
  3. The country is at a record 25% unemployment rate. People need to support themselves and their families.
  4. We know more about the virus than before the quarantine: <6% death rate, where 58+% of deaths are in patients >75, and a quarter of deaths are estimated from LTC/nursing facilities
  5. Hospital census is so low across the country that medical personnel are being furloughed. The entire purpose of the quarantine was to prevent an overload our hospitals.
People are arriving at the "breaking point" between acceptable risk (risk of acquiring covid) and desired benefit (employment/purpose). Surely you can understand their reasoning? Surely you are capable of developing your own thoughts outside of what is shoved down your throat from the definitely absolutely undoubtedly unbiased MSM.

If you think it is just "Trump supporters" looking to remove the quarantine, you are blinded by your own ignorance.

• Haha
Lol, it blows my mind how warped the liberal mindset can be of conservatives. Let me elaborate my previous point in a way you will understand...

***Turns MAGA hat around on head... blows out candle resting next to Trump statue... grabs semi-automatic-bump stock AR off shelf with one hand, grabs confederate flag with the other on way out of trailer... jumps in diesel fueled lifted truck, does a couple of donuts in yard before heading off to the local internet cafe to use the small TV connected to the interweb***
  1. I never said the quarantine was unneeded. The quarantine has done its job and will continue on in targeted populations.
  2. Trump is nothing more than a public servant acting on the interests of the people who voted him into office. No one cares what he "wants".
  3. The country is at a record 25% unemployment rate. People need to support themselves and their families.
  4. We know more about the virus than before the quarantine: <6% death rate, where 58+% of deaths are in patients >75, and a quarter of deaths are estimated from LTC/nursing facilities
  5. Hospital census is so low across the country that medical personnel are being furloughed. The entire purpose of the quarantine was to prevent an overload our hospitals.
People are arriving at the "breaking point" between acceptable risk (risk of acquiring covid) and desired benefit (employment/purpose). Surely you can understand their reasoning? Surely you are capable of developing your own thoughts outside of what is shoved down your throat from the definitely absolutely undoubtedly unbiased MSM.

If you think it is just "Trump supporters" looking to remove the quarantine, you are blinded by your own ignorance.

Can I get the website where you got your Trump statue?

Need one for the den

• Haha
Can I get the website where you got your Trump statue?

Need one for the den
Had to take out a small loan of $1M

G6RCVCXKKBAC3OWHUNQH36A3CI.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Dude..... You forgot to start your Lysol drip before jumping in your diesel fueled lifted truck..... Wth man - if your gonna do it, do it right.....

• Hmm
Trump's valet (the dude who goes on the McDonalds runs) tested positive for Covid19. Hopefully the orange man caught it as well.

Dude no - I don’t care if you like the guy or not... not cool

• Love
Sparda insulted their god. Snowflake MAGA people upset. They even downthumbed his post. That means they are really, really upset.

• Love
I dont like Trump but I dont wish him, you, or anybody else harm and bad health. If you do not know the difference then I pity you.

• Love
I dont like Trump but I dont wish him, you, or anybody else harm and bad health. If you do not know the difference then I pity you.

But I thought that killing some people in the aggregate is worth it if it saves the economy. What if Sparda thinks that Trump dying would save the economy long term? Isn't Sparda just wanting to save lives through avoiding unemployment?

Also, I thought that we decided that COVID isn't really that bad. So people are getting upset about Trump getting the flu?

• Love
Smoking should be banned according to Democrats, kills too many people.

I didn’t realize that smoking was a partisan issue but yeah I agree, it should be banned. Or maybe all drugs should be legal.

Or maybe something in between, what do I know?

Smoking should be banned according to Democrats, kills too many people.

You are aware that this is a laughably weak argument, though, right?

Smoking isn't a communicable disease.

Unless you count second hand smoke. Which is illegal already in public places just about everywhere.

And even if you don't, it's still not the same because it's not like second hand smoke victims get asymptomatic lung disease that they can then pass on to a tertiary individual.