bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Over the last few months, I've noticed a climate of people just being really mean to others when posts are made that are seeking for help. It is fine to tell someone to google, but it is not fine to mock people in the process. You never know what words are going to impact someone in which way, even online. Just wanted to share my two cents, and try to get some helpfulness back into this forum.

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
Over the last few months, I've noticed a climate of people just being really mean to others when posts are made that are seeking for help. It is fine to tell someone to google, but it is not fine to mock people in the process. You never know what words are going to impact someone in which way, even online. Just wanted to share my two cents, and try to get some helpfulness back into this forum.
The internet is serious business.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
NBC Today had a tragic story that resulted from events similar to this manner except the kids took it too far

thedrunkenpharm

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pharmacist

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2009
Status
::chokes:: :laugh::laugh::laugh:
It had stories about two teenagers who committed suicide because of all the trolling and cyberbullying. How is that funny?

This is serious business, people. I know we're not teenagers (well, most of us aren't) but it's still a serious issue.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
It had stories about two teenagers who committed suicide because of all the trolling and cyberbullying. How is that funny?

This is serious business, people. I know we're not teenagers (well, most of us aren't) but it's still a serious issue.
Yeah, it says something about parenting today. The teenagers today are not as tough emotionally or mentally as teenagers 10-20-30 years ago. Bullying has been a part of growing up for a long time, and I don't see it going away. Hell, it even continues into adulthood. *see United States Government against other countries*

CK8652

PUDDING!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Status
It's funny, I was just thinking about this the other day when I read a post from a newbie that would have been torn a new one in the pharmacy section. It is actually one of the best and most insightful posts I've ever read on SDN and it's what happens when people are constructive with their comments rather than ******ed.

Just in case anyone was wondering what post it was (from Family Medicine)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=713405

Jun 6, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I completely agree. Many people come here for advice, not smart ass remarks. We are all supposed to be professionals, yet some of us act nothing like it. I wonder if y'all treat your patients like that when they ask questions about their medications.

thedrunkenpharm

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Look, if people shall not use the search function that is enabled on this forum, then they should only expect smart ass remarks when they've made the upteenth thread about a dead horse.

Professionalism on a forum? That's like a funny Asian comedian...it doesn't exist.

dreezy10

Athletic Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
D-Town
Status
Pharmacy Student
I agree with you, but we cant control everyone's actions. some people are just smart a**es and think they are gods gift to sarcasm and comedy. I try not put people down or make people feel uncomfortable, but not everyone is that way.......

some people are jerks, some people are weak and overly sensitive, but if you can weed through all the attitudes and smart comments, you can really get amazing information out of SDN!! really, more people should probly donate to the site, but thats a different issue.

Sep 3, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
CK8652 said:
It's funny, I was just thinking about this the other day when I read a post from a newbie that would have been torn a new one in the pharmacy section. It is actually one of the best and most insightful posts I've ever read on SDN and it's what happens when people are constructive with their comments rather than ******ed.

Just in case anyone was wondering what post it was (from Family Medicine)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=713405
There seems to be much less cynicism and backbiting on the medicine forums. People are also more willing to help and make constructive comments. This difference is a sad reflection on our profession.

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
There seems to be much less cynicism and backbiting on the medicine forums. People are also more willing to help and make constructive comments. This difference is a sad reflection on our profession.
Some of you need to get jobs at the UN instead of persuing pharmacy school! You can make a world of difference!

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
The medical forums must have changed because they used to be pretty snarky. It helps not being over run with the same stupid questions over and over as we are here.

Someone started a thread this morning asking if they should take a sign on bonus. Seriously? A simply search would have generated hours of reading on the subject.

Last edited:

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
You mean the medicine forums OTHER than Pre-Allo, right? :smuggrin:

powertoold

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
Yeah, it says something about parenting today. The teenagers today are not as tough emotionally or mentally as teenagers 10-20-30 years ago. Bullying has been a part of growing up for a long time, and I don't see it going away. Hell, it even continues into adulthood. *see United States Government against other countries*
I don't think we can blame it on parenting. These days, the bullying can easily continue when school is over, i.e. on the internet. In the old days, once school is over, bullying is over.

Jetninjin

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2008
Status
Gah, yeah ... this forum can be great for getting info, but certain topics just seem to turn the board into an echo chamber from hell. The sky is falling/market sucks/etc .. and then when a P1 takes the pathos to its logical conclusion yesterday, saying well maybe he should just quit pharm school if things are so bad, he gets mocked in every response. Sad =/