people who have been accepted with mediocre stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
somewhere2010 said:
the weather here in DC is beauuuuutiful...

oh, is this not what you meant? ehehe ummm, yay med school....?!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

gdbaby said:
To keep with the thread theme, I believe I epitomize mediocre stats: 27Q, 3.68. 2 interviews, no acceptances. So I am waiting to hear more from my mediocre brothers and sisters, regardless of ethnic background. What can I say? I need constant reassurance through this process.

Hey, at least you got interviews! :) Interviews at least mean the school has looked at your file. I sometimes wonder if they've lost mine.

Anyway, I am also completely average: 27Q and 3.55. If something happens with me I will definitely let you know.

I like the DO system so I'll still be a doctor. It would still be nice to at least get an interview from an MD program, though.

I think that we mediocre people are vastly underrepresented on SDN.

hoberto said:
I think that we mediocre people are vastly underrepresented on SDN.
Indeed, hoberto, indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
bubbleyum said:
i wonder what the "average" scores and gpas would be if all URM applicants were excluded...?

not meant to cause any URM discussion flame wars, just honestly wondering how realistic this "30 mcat, 3.6 gpa" median line is, because it seems like people with these type of numbers are having a hard time getting interviews, myself included. maybe it's actually something more like 32 mcat, 3.7 gpa or something? or maybe the percentage of accepted URM is low enough to not affect it much anyways.
You're an idiot............

Originally posted by gdbaby:
Wait a minute: Empire Carpet is not just a Chicago business? How does that old guy get around the country like that?!?!?

You forgot my favorite... the original Eagleman auto insurance commercials. The new ones stink, but the old one was on forever! :)
"What was that?"
"It must be Eagleman!"
"I've go something for Yooouuuuu!
"....Just look at those low rates!"

IDforMe said:
Originally posted by gdbaby:
Wait a minute: Empire Carpet is not just a Chicago business? How does that old guy get around the country like that?!?!?

You forgot my favorite... the original Eagleman auto insurance commercials. The new ones stink, but the old one was on forever! :)
"What was that?"
"It must be Eagleman!"
"I've go something for Yooouuuuu!
"....Just look at those low rates!"
HA! Yeah, forgot that one! :laugh:

I just got my first acceptance today, I have a 3.1 Science, 3.33 Cumulative, and a 32Q. The MCAT is high but the poor grades average me out to mediocre. I was accepted to Tulane, which is my alma mater. So it's possible people, much luck to everyone!!!

What about MENARDS! That guy's Tourrettes never kept him down.

I am happy to bump this thread back up:

MCAT #1: 24M
MCAT #2: 28Q
GPA: 3.69

Just heard from Iowa yesterday. Still hasn't sunk in.

unfrozencaveman said:
What about MENARDS! That guy's Tourrettes never kept him down.
HA! My s-dad LOVES Menards!

I'm amused by this thread...everyone seems to be assuming that this process is rational, or even perhaps scientific! I personally believe that above a certain minimum GPA/MCAT at any given school, all applicants are put in a big lottery hopper, and the committee chooses whatever students pop out when the button is pushed. There's simply so much about an applicant's file that is not objective (even GPA...I mean, we've all been in situations where one section of orgo has a great, easy prof, and another has the prof from hell who never gives As, etc., haven't we? So how can anyone say that an A in the first class isn't equal to a C in the second?). This whole process is just plain random.... In my opinion, it all boils down to a big "WTF?" response, regardless.... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of u (us) with lower than avg gpas, did ur interviewers ask about it? i was asked only 1 question about my grades, which was surprising. im hoping schools really DO put emphasis on everything else (mcat, ecs) after an interview to decide our fate.

28 MCAT 3.4 GPA, accepted at Loyola (although my ECs rock - but my numbers were poopie, and I am in this early! There is hope!)

Flopotomist said:
28 MCAT 3.4 GPA, accepted at Loyola (although my ECs rock - but my numbers were poopie, and I am in this early! There is hope!)

wooooow flopotomist, that is GREAT!!! hope you are out celebrating like crazy. and to think, when you were all discouraged posting in the "no interviews" thread with the rest of us. now we can call you doctor flop!

jtank said:
for those of u (us) with lower than avg gpas, did ur interviewers ask about it? i was asked only 1 question about my grades, which was surprising. im hoping schools really DO put emphasis on everything else (mcat, ecs) after an interview to decide our fate.
I have only had closed file interviews so far. But I brought up my low MCAT score in my interview, becaue I didn't want them to be shocked after our great interview to see that damn score--especially since I was out of state. My Kaplan Admissions consultant suggested I do this and I don't know if it was particularly helpful, but I did get in!

Flopotomist said:

Congrats Flopotomist!!

kkbmd2b said:
I'm amused by this thread...everyone seems to be assuming that this process is rational, or even perhaps scientific! I personally believe that above a certain minimum GPA/MCAT at any given school, all applicants are put in a big lottery hopper, and the committee chooses whatever students pop out when the button is pushed. There's simply so much about an applicant's file that is not objective (even GPA...I mean, we've all been in situations where one section of orgo has a great, easy prof, and another has the prof from hell who never gives As, etc., haven't we? So how can anyone say that an A in the first class isn't equal to a C in the second?). This whole process is just plain random.... In my opinion, it all boils down to a big "WTF?" response, regardless.... ;)

I've been told this by students that work in med admissions offices (at top schools). Ok not the whole lottery hopper bit.. but after a cut off score, its all about your Rec's, EC's AND interviews.. many a weirdo has been rejected with a 40+ mcat score..

Hope that gives people hope :)

3.45 BCPM and OA, 30P MCAT...got accepted to SLU and 2 more interviews coming up...but this is my 3rd time applying and have a masters under my belt

jtank said:

Hey jtank, I was asked about the discrepancy between by GPA and MCAT at Case Western. It wasn't the focal point of the conversation but rather a "I really have to ask..." when the interview was winding down. I just explained the circumstances that contributed to my lower grades and emphasized what I have done since that year and what I learned. I've also been suprised at the lack of questions about the GPA or MCAT. Most interviewers have focused on my research, work and clinical history, and my family (which I discuss in my essays).

You need encouragement to work hard. Encouragement by a pat on the back is giving hope. False hope in some cases.

gosh, i wish i could post on this thread. i have SUCH mediocre stats... when i get my first acceptance ( :rolleyes: ) ill definitely post all my numbers. :)

dreamcrusher said:
I wouldn't someone with a gpa below 3.5 being my doctor.

That's so funny I think I will put it in my sig.
Not.

Well I think my stats are pretty mediocre.
Low GPA (3.19) due to some bobbles in my first two years at school.
High MCAT (37) because I actually then went back and learned the stuff I screwed up on.
Seven rejections to date
Four on holds
One interview (Buffalo)
JUST GOT ACCEPTED. It's true. I am living the dream. It's possible. Keep your heads up!!!!