TastefullyBlue

Flows Slave
May 12, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey all,

I just ran across a thread where someone was asking about getting extra time on the mcat with their disability and it made me curious..

Say someone doesn't claim their disability will impair them on the MCAT so they don't get the asterisk, or the part about with accommodations, but they apply for med schools, and get accepted, and once accepted let the school know about their disability..

Do people with disabilities get advantages, or such accommodations in medical school? Do they get extra time to take tests? Get more time to study? Get already made notes, etc..?

Thanks

Last edited:

link2swim06

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Hey all,

I just ran across a thread where someone was asking about getting extra time on the mcat with their disability and it made me curious..

Say someone doesn't claim their disability will impair them on the MCAT so they don't get the asterisk, or the part about with accommodations, but they apply for med schools, and get accepted, and once accepted let the school know about their disability..

Do people with disabilities get advantages, or such accommodations in medical school? Do they get extra time to take tests? Get more time to study? Get already made notes, etc..?

Thanks
Extra time to take tests with documentation...Yes.

Some schools will let you spread the first 2 years over 3 years. BUT most will expect you to be able to stick to the same schedule as everyone else, especially before you fail a class. Dont expect more time to study.

Some schools pay people to take lecture notes for everyone. Most schools provide powerpoint/note packets at the very least...therefore this shouldn't really be a problem.

Again its all about documentation, you can't just claim a disability. You need a professional to confirm that your disability and what accommodations you need.