Pep talk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnacyd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still on the wait list at the school I really want to go to. Egad, I need to hear some nice little stories of people being accepted off the wait list in late june/july. Also, I am feeling a little guilty about not being too excited over going to the school I have been accepted at. I know that I should be super excited. But I am not there yet. Anyone out there getting cold feet?
_Vanessa

Members don't see this ad.

Two folks in my class were accepted within a week of the start of classes. Several more in the month before. It *can* happen!

It just happened to me! I had resigned myself to another year of stress and had my AMCAS all ready to be turned in the next day when the dean called me! It was uncanny! Hang in there! I know what it feels like to be in your shoes and it is terrible. I hope that things work out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orientation started on a Monday for my class last year. One of the guys in the class got a call on Saturday asking if he would like a spot in the class (he had not received ANY acceptances). As many people have already stated it definitely pays to be assertive and let the school you are interested in know that it is your first choice. Good luck!

Hey LL,

Where did you get in finally? Creighton or Loyola? Congrats either way.

When I interviewed with EVMS, I stayed with a student who got the call 2 weeks INTO classes-- they said, hey, wanna go to medical school? Oh, and by the way, you've got a biochem midterm in 2 days! Careful what you wish for...

Thank you for the encouragement. Forgive me for being a whiny baby. What do you mean by being assertive? I wrote an intent letter, plus had a couple more rec. letters sent. Should I be writing letters every week? Should I call on a regular basis?
Vanessa

To vncyad,

I see you are in L.A. Are these schools by any chance UC's? If so, I might have info that can help--when I went through this I found out a lot about how the different UC's handle their waitlists.

As far as being "assertive" goes, check out the link below about various people's success at getting OFF a waiting list and INTO the school of their choice. It's from a thread someone started about the Penn wait list a while back.
http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum2/HTML/000406.html

A MAN WITHOUT,

I got accepted to Creighton! What is your status? I hope that things are good!

Bear, I am waiting on USC. However I am curious as to how the UC's deal with wait list.

vnacyd, my experience was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if it's still right: UCSF has a "high" and a "low" ranked waitlist, and they have never gotten down to the low one. They will tell you which you are on, so that can be worth knowing. Also, they take people off the high list up through the end of the first week of classes, and it seems like a lot happens as late as July. I know someone who didn't get in anywhere else but got a call on the Friday morning at the end of the first week, inviting him to join the class at anatomy lab that afternoon! (How can you get that far at UCSF and be rejected everywhere else? Sounds odd, I know--I think some personal connections were involved...)

There is a lot of action on the UCSD waitlist--several people I know got a call in August! They only give you 24 hours to decide, which I think is kind of mean.

UCD used rolling admissions and was really disorganized the year I applied. I don't know anyone who got off their waitlist that year. They won't tell you where you are ranked. Someone who works there told me their class was pretty much set by March, with very few changes after that. She wasn't sure they even bother to rank the waitlist.

UCLA is a mystery. They don't tell you anything, and I don't know anyone who got in off *their* waitlist, either. But I don't know much about them--I didn't apply there and I don't know many who did. So I don't have much to contribute about them.

I know nothing at all about UCI, except that their students seem happier than those at some of the other UC's!

I hope this helps! Waiting is terrible!