Pepperdine, PGSP-Stanford Consortium Psy.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crdslper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody-

Does anybody have any information or experiences concerning these programs that they would be willing to share? It has been relatively hard to find information on these programs beyond what they themselves put out. PGSP-Stanford seems like an interesting program. (http://www.pgsp.edu/consortium/ ) The focus on empirically supported treatments combined with opportunities in sleep disorders makes it very appealing to me. However, being a new program, I have yet to hear anything about their reputation. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Psisci!

That is good to hear. Was that in reference to both Pepperdine and the PGSP program? So the job market should be penetrable in CA with a degree from these schools?

Have a great day.

Members don't see this ad :)
The job market is open to anyone with a license really, but the PGSP program is one of the best available as far as reputation goes.

:)

Does that mean you have had offers from those schools? If so, when did you hear from them?

No, I have not heard from them. I was just trying to get an idea of what their reputations are. Very few people seem familiar with the programs over here in the Northeast. Any idea when they might be making decisions? Good luck!

crdslper said:
No, I have not heard from them. I was just trying to get an idea of what their reputations are. Very few people seem familiar with the programs over here in the Northeast. Any idea when they might be making decisions? Good luck!

Yeah I am from the northeast as well so I know what you mean. As for when they are making their decisions, I hope soon. This is the only school I am waiting to hear a response from after interviewing....Good luck with your choices!

As a new program, the PGSP-Stanford Psy.D. Consortium has yet to gain APA accreditation. However, considering its connection to Stanford there is little question that it will. According to many people who I have spoken to in the field, many feel that within a few years it will be considered the best Psy.D. program in the entire country. The downside is the fact that it is one of the most expensive, however considering the contacts you will establish and the tremendous training, it probably sets you up down the road better than virtually any psy.d. or ph.d. program in the country (at least in the clinical realm)

Thanks for the reply Jpaquette!

I am actually finalizing my decision between these two programs in the next 48 hours. So, every extra piece of information helps! For what it is worth, I have heard similar things about PGSP-Stanford.

One program has many more opportunities in my areas of interest, and what would appear to be a great reputation considering it has only been around for a few years. The other seems like a good school, is shorter, cheaper, and in a place I would much rather live (LA!). This is a tough one for me...

As a side note, this forum has been exceptionally useful throughout the process. Thanks all!

I will be starting up at the PGSP-Stanford program this fall, so maybe I'm a bit biased. I interviewed at a number of places and was by far most impressed by this one. The costs are certainly a downside, as I will be going into massive debt as a result of my studies, however I feel that this program sets you up after you finish better than most Psy.D. and Ph.D. programs. Also, in terms of living situation, L.A. is certainly tempting. Palo Alto is much different than LA as you know, but it's still a nice place and pretty closeby (40 minutes) to San Francisco and Oakland. Let me know what you decide.

Hi Jpaquett-

I just officially accepted at PGSP-Stanford. In the end I couldn't pass up having access to research and clinical opportunities in behavioral medicine/sleep disorders. The program philosophy and training (biopsychosocial model, ESTs) really look ideal for a career in this area. I don't think the fact that I have to leave Boston for Palo Alto has completely sunk in yet...but I'm confident that I will be happy with my decision. When are you planning on heading out there? Are you pursuing a specific specialty at the program?