percent accepted from interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What percentage of people given an interview get accepted? Is there a certain percent that is common amoung most medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorB said:
What percentage of people given an interview get accepted? Is there a certain percent that is common amoung most medical schools?

This is extremely variable -- just at schools I applied to it ranges from almost 10% to nearly 50%.

It varies (and not just between schools, but resident vs. non-resident for the same school)--you can calculate the rate for each school from the stats in MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
u.s. news gives very specific numbers by school, which can be accessed through their $15 online subscription.

foofish said:
It varies (and not just between schools, but resident vs. non-resident for the same school)--you can calculate the rate for each school from the stats in MSAR.
MSAR only gives number matriculated, not accepted.

The schools I interviewed at were anywhere from 30-60% acceptance post-interview (but these include post-waitlist acceptances as well).

nibrocli said:
u.s. news gives very specific numbers by school, which can be accessed through their $15 online subscription.

Does anyone know of a source that gives % of applicants (in addition to % accepted students) from the state that the school is located in? I ask because, a school might take 60% state residents, but 80% of their applicant pool could be from state residents. It could potentially change what out-of-state schools to consider...

zimmie256 said:
Does anyone know of a source that gives % of applicants (in addition to % accepted students) from the state that the school is located in? I ask because, a school might take 60% state residents, but 80% of their applicant pool could be from state residents. It could potentially change what out-of-state schools to consider...
The U.S. News book "Ultimate Guide to Medical School" does, though it's a few years old.

zimmie256 said:

yeah, u.s. news has all that info. i highly recommend making the purchase. i used it a ton during my interview season.

EDIT: i'm talking about the online version. it has the most updated data available, as recent as last year.