Percent to NBME Score Approx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airmonkey84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a previous post where people wrote how many they think they got wrong and what type of score they got on Step I.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of a previous post where people wrote how many they think they got wrong and what type of score they got on Step I.

Just to be able to do that would take someone who seriously crushed the test to begin with. Say you only had to guess on like 10% of the questions and figure you guess correctly on 33-50% of those so you end up with somewhere between 90-95% correct on the exam. Then maybe you could figure out your percentage correct, but that score would probably be close to or above 270 (or 280?) so it would be hard to make generalizations. But even for people who are scoring really well like 240 and higher, I think there are just too many guesses to be able to figure out exactly how many you are getting right and wrong. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure that 90-95%+ would break 270. Maybe mid-260s. There are alot of really smart people out there that I would think score higher than 90% on this test.

I'm basing that on NBME's which I was getting around 10 wrong on = 95% and scoring high 250s...not even breaking 260.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure that 90-95%+ would break 270. Maybe mid-260s. There are alot of really smart people out there that I would think score higher than 90% on this test.

I have no evidence to back this statement up, but that is incredibly hard to believe. Either way, it might not even matter, considering we have no real idea as to how this exam is scored. Some questions may be weighted for all we know.

I'm basing that on NBME's which I was getting around 10 wrong on = 95% and scoring high 250s...not even breaking 260.

Yeah I was saying that based on the feeling most people have that the actual exam is noticeably more difficult than the NBMEs but scaled so that most people seem to do about how they were doing on the NBMEs. But of course, nobody really knows.

Plenty of places have "answers" posted online with the questions from people who scored above 800 on the specific NBME. Go through them and you'll see that while some of them are wrong, you can get an idea of how many you are getting wrong. You can also look up the answers online just by googling questions and get an idea of how you are doing.

i figured roughly 12 wrong on nbme 4 based on "answers"...there were a few iffy ones...so lets say 12 +/- 2.

comes out to a 710/257.

scary thing is. i know i did not maintain that kind of pace on the real day. we'll see how it goes.

Sorry to bump a post that is this old, but I'm starting to wonder about the way that NBME form scores are calculated. Do they incorporate individuals who do the "self-study" option? That would really inflate the results. I've looked over my recent tests and several answer versions and noticed that on one test, I answered 88% of the total answers correctly (even by the least generous count) and still only hit mid-230's. The poster above thinks he scored a 95.3% and still only hit 257.

It only bothers me because my UWorld percentage and diagnostics have been higher. Makes me wonder how this works out. It really doesn't matter because the NBMEs have at least anecodotally shown to be good predicitors, but I'm still curious.