Percentage interviewed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many interview invites do schools typically send out? Say if a school receives 1000 applications and invites 750 to fill out secondaries and they typically interview 280, does the school typically send out more than 280 interview invites? Because some applicants get accepted somewhere and decline some other interviews, it seems that schools would invite more than they actually interview (which is reported in the MSAR). Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

dradams said:
How many interview invites do schools typically send out? Say if a school receives 1000 applications and invites 750 to fill out secondaries and they typically interview 280, does the school typically send out more than 280 interview invites? Because some applicants get accepted somewhere and decline some other interviews, it seems that schools would invite more than they actually interview (which is reported in the MSAR). Is this true?

That seems likely. Also, since most schools are rolling, they must kind of figure things out as they go... So, another reason to take MSAR with a grain of stat.

Incidentally, the other issue I have with the MSAR application stats is that they don't say what percent of interviewees were accepted - they only say how many people matriculated. I've wondered what percent of interviewees get accepted. I'm sure it varies widely by school, but I've heard fractions as high as one third. But of course, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

leechy said:
That seems likely. Also, since most schools are rolling, they must kind of figure things out as they go... So, another reason to take MSAR with a grain of stat.

Incidentally, the other issue I have with the MSAR application stats is that they don't say what percent of interviewees were accepted - they only say how many people matriculated. I've wondered what percent of interviewees get accepted. I'm sure it varies widely by school, but I've heard fractions as high as one third. But of course, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

i mean, grain of salt. dummy me.