• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Percentile Vs Score

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
USA
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey I was just wondering if dental schools only care about your raw score, or if your percentiles matter?

I mean a 19 sounds decent, but it was only the 56th percentile for Perceptual on my 2007 DAT..thoughts?

Contach

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2008
NYC
  1. Attending Physician
Hey I was just wondering if dental schools only care about your raw score, or if your percentiles matter?

I mean a 19 sounds decent, but it was only the 56th percentile for Perceptual on my 2007 DAT..thoughts?

I think they only get your standard score.. but i could be mistaken...

About the Ads

Contach

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2008
NYC
  1. Attending Physician

no one knows your raw score.. and frankly it means very little. This is why standardized tests have standardized scores. If the bio section was out of 40 questions, something like 30question correct / 40 total questions would be a raw score - and once again, we are never given this information, and neither are the dental schools. The number you get from 1 - 30 on each section is a standardized score.

Katalyst

10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
New Orleans
  1. Dental Student
haha raw score comment

The percentile score is for test taker benefit only. Since 19 was ~50%, then they will try to make that section harder on future tests to bring down the average. This is why you'll see on this forum posts where many DAT takers got rocked by a particular section, thinking it was much more difficult than the practice tests ... because it was. Same should be true for them to make the test easier if the average is consistently getting worse scores.

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
USA
  1. Pre-Dental
haha raw score comment

The percentile score is for test taker benefit only. Since 19 was ~50%, then they will try to make that section harder on future tests to bring down the average. This is why you'll see on this forum posts where many DAT takers got rocked by a particular section, thinking it was much more difficult than the practice tests ... because it was. Same should be true for them to make the test easier if the average is consistently getting worse scores.

Wow, so on the biology section of the November canadian DAT, 19 was the 90th percentile...

How is it so easy for people to get >20 ?!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.