Percentile Vs Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if dental schools only care about your raw score, or if your percentiles matter?

I mean a 19 sounds decent, but it was only the 56th percentile for Perceptual on my 2007 DAT..thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was just wondering if dental schools only care about your raw score, or if your percentiles matter?

I mean a 19 sounds decent, but it was only the 56th percentile for Perceptual on my 2007 DAT..thoughts?

I think they only get your standard score.. but i could be mistaken...

Members don't see this ad :)

no one knows your raw score.. and frankly it means very little. This is why standardized tests have standardized scores. If the bio section was out of 40 questions, something like 30question correct / 40 total questions would be a raw score - and once again, we are never given this information, and neither are the dental schools. The number you get from 1 - 30 on each section is a standardized score.

haha raw score comment

The percentile score is for test taker benefit only. Since 19 was ~50%, then they will try to make that section harder on future tests to bring down the average. This is why you'll see on this forum posts where many DAT takers got rocked by a particular section, thinking it was much more difficult than the practice tests ... because it was. Same should be true for them to make the test easier if the average is consistently getting worse scores.

haha raw score comment

The percentile score is for test taker benefit only. Since 19 was ~50%, then they will try to make that section harder on future tests to bring down the average. This is why you'll see on this forum posts where many DAT takers got rocked by a particular section, thinking it was much more difficult than the practice tests ... because it was. Same should be true for them to make the test easier if the average is consistently getting worse scores.

Wow, so on the biology section of the November canadian DAT, 19 was the 90th percentile...

How is it so easy for people to get >20 ?!