Perceptions on Underserved Populations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted407021

Hey y'all,

I currently work in a free clinic which serves people without insurance and who are impoverished. I know that the poor are a sector of the underserved, along with the elderly and those who simply don't have enough access to a PCP. I've found that I appreciate what I can do to help these people, but I don't think I would want to work with them as a career, although definitely on a regular volunteer basis (all our doctors are volunteers in various specialties).

To those with some experience in this field (volunteers, medical students, docs): What are your perceptions of serving the underserved? How important do you think it is? What do you find attractive or unattractive about making a career out of it? To what extent do you see yourselves practicing in these areas?

I appreciate the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I got into a pretty intense conversation with an interviewer about this topic (the majority of my community service and ECs are geared towards working with
underserved/disadvantaged communities) since he was curious how I would "convince others physicians to integrate this into their practice as a key focus." If it's not something that is already important to you, I don't think you can "force" (convince) others to share the same viewpoint because it's a difficult/complex problem to tackle and is tied to a lot of political and social issues, which not everyone is interested in. Even if you don't end up a physician in this specific "field," you could still be involved on the side by putting time into local free clinics whenever you are available.

For me personally and because of my experiences, and the kinds of needs I see within my own community want to make a career out of it. Becoming a physician is one piece of the larger puzzle to providing access to resources/important programs, health care, and the education many of these folks need to help address the health disparities we currently face. Being in this position will also allow me to apply all the social justice/political exposure, mentorship among youth, and teaching experience I have too :D (4 birds, one stone?)

However, there are also SO many different underserved groups (demographics like rural/urban, ethnic groups, social-economic, elderly), so you can't possibly devote a career to helping everyone effectively. In my case, I don't have much exposure or connection to the rural underserved or elderly populations, but am more heavily invested in the latino, southeast asian, and socioeconomically disadvantaged communities.

It's nice to see that there are others who also think about this topic! I've taken a few public health related classes, and it's pretty surprising how generally misinformed/unaware some pre-meds are about some of this or will "pretend they care" by paying the minimum lip service necessary to convince interviewers that they are passionate about primary care because they think it will help them gain an acceptance. :scared:

By virtue of the population that surrounds our university medical center, most of the patients we see are from underserved areas (the worst parts of Chicago). More times than not patients are Medicaid/public aid patients.

On the plus side, these people really, really need healthcare. I imagine that working with this population on a daily basis would leave you with a pretty healthy feeling of satisfaction. Quality healthcare is such a valuable resource, and when you make it available to people who have almost nothing you can literally transform lives. The poor 6 year-old kid who's terrible asthma was poorly controlled can now go to class and only miss 1-2 days each year rather than 20-30, all because you got him set up with a good medication regimen. It's the emotional stuff that gets made fun of in the personal statement threads, but in my experience that really isn't far off from what it's like.

However, there are also many frustrations, and it's dealing with things like this that have turned me off to dedicating my career to the underserved. No-show rates are extremely high in clinic. A good day would be 75% of patients that made appointments showing up. The result of this is that many patients never come for regular check-ups, and in the peds population specifically they get behind on vaccinations, don't have meds, etc. so when they show up for their school physical, they look like garbage. And it really comes down to the fact that those people either don't take responsibility for caring for themselves and/or their kids, or it is simply too taxing to do so. You also have to deal with bureaucracy to a much larger degree - physicians are limited in the drugs they can prescribe because of restrictions on what will be covered by public aid. It can be difficult or impossible to get timely referrals. Patients who have been waiting 6 months for that colonoscopy then decide not to show up - rinse and repeat, and 5 years has gone by and they STILL have not gotten an intervention that is clearly demonstrated to reduce morbidity and mortality. You argue with medical directors at the state office trying to convince them why a patient needs a particular test outside of the usual algorithm. And no, this is not something that is done by the office nurse or some other department - this is YOUR TIME.

It sounds callous, but at the end of the day I don't think I could work in that kind of environment without getting extremely frustrated, cynical, and angry - not necessarily at my patients, but at "the system" which you clearly see is NOT looking out for your patients' best interests. And yet, you cannot do anything about it - even if you're going to see a patient for free, so what? What if they need labs, medications, procedures, or other interventions done? The likelihood that those outside entities will also do their portion of care for free is almost zero. With some patients it is very much an exercise of banging your head against the wall, hoping that one day the wall will finally crumble down. However, in many cases it doesn't seem like it ever does.

Don't get me wrong, this is a job that needs to be done, and it is so, so important to the people that receive that care. But I think a certain personality is required to work in that kind of environment to avoid going completely psychotic after a few years. Politicians and others claim that people on Medicaid and other public aid get "all the care they need" and this other nonsense, but when you see how it actually works it becomes patently obvious that that really is not at all what's happening. The system needs to change, but unfortunately I myself do not have it in me to be that change. If that sounds appealing to you, though, then you would likely enjoy working in that kind of environment and with that population.

Members don't see this ad :)
@NickNaylor. At our clinic we provide diagnosis, treatment, labs and medication all for free, yet many patients are non-compliant (no shows on appointments, not bringing in paperwork only they can access, not drinking water before labs and wasting our time b/c we can't draw blood on them so we bump them up to the next appt.) Certainly these problems exist in other patient populations. Are the problems homogeneous or is it worse in the poor?

Like I said, I would definitely want to work with a free clinic (probably the one I volunteer at already b/c i want to stay instate) on a weekly or monthly basis. We are in need of a neurologist right now to assess some of our epilepsy patients, so there is definitely room for physicians other than PCPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
@NickNaylor. At our clinic we provide diagnosis, treatment, labs and medication all for free, yet many patients are non-compliant (no shows on appointments, not bringing in paperwork only they can access, not drinking water before labs and wasting our time b/c we can't draw blood on them so we bump them up to the next appt.) Certainly these problems exist in other patient populations. Are the problems homogeneous or is it worse in the poor?

Like I said, I would definitely want to work with a free clinic (probably the one I volunteer at already b/c i want to stay instate) on a weekly or monthly basis. We are in need of a neurologist right now to assess some of our epilepsy patients, so there is definitely room for physicians other than PCPs.

I would say much more prevalent in the poor. I think two big things are at play: 1) the poor as a general rule have lower health literacy rates, thus they may not appreciate the importance or significance of taking medications regularly, following-up test results, and ensuring that recommended procedures actually get done; and 2) the poor have fewer resources (time, money, etc.) to dedicate to things like healthcare in the absence of an immediate need. Both of these are known barriers to access, and combined with the how little access there already is, it's not hard to see how you get to the current situation.

I would say much more prevalent in the poor. I think two big things are at play: 1) the poor as a general rule have lower health literacy rates, thus they may not appreciate the importance or significance of taking medications regularly, following-up test results, and ensuring that recommended procedures actually get done; and 2) the poor have fewer resources (time, money, etc.) to dedicate to things like healthcare in the absence of an immediate need. Both of these are known barriers to access, and combined with the how little access there already is, it's not hard to see how you get to the current situation.
Obviously that is a source of frustration in trying to provide care to this kind of population. As of right now I am not particularly interested in primary care but the school I am interested in attending pushes service to underserved populations very strongly. I would love to serve in a volunteer capacity but the thought of dealing with these kinds of people on a daily basis, as a career is not particularly enticing. I like the concept of "cura personalis" because a physician has the skills and abilities to care for more than just purely physical ailments. Would expressing interest in serving these kinds of people for free on a regular basis, without making it a focus of practice, be adequate in adhering to the mission of "providing service to underserved and rural parts of the state."?

Obviously that is a source of frustration in trying to provide care to this kind of population. As of right now I am not particularly interested in primary care but the school I am interested in attending pushes service to underserved populations very strongly. I would love to serve in a volunteer capacity but the thought of dealing with these kinds of people on a daily basis, as a career is not particularly enticing. I like the concept of "cura personalis" because a physician has the skills and abilities to care for more than just purely physical ailments. Would expressing interest in serving these kinds of people for free on a regular basis, without making it a focus of practice, be adequate in adhering to the mission of "providing service to underserved and rural parts of the state."?

In my view simply wanting to work in that area - free or not - constitutes as wanting to serve those populations. I don't think institutions expect you to do your work for free. But if, say, you were open to working in a rural area, I'd consider that "providing service" to that population.