Perceptual Ability Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgery171

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so I need some tips on the Keyholes section and the Top/Front/End Section. T/F/E is killing me on time and I have been getting 21 and 22 on the QVault tests but with time to the last second. I am missing up to 4 or 6 on each of these sections and don't want to buy Crack the PAT a week before my test so I was wondering if there were any tips that could help??

On Keyholes specifically...How many different views should you visualize from? Top/bottom/facing front/facing back/the right side view/the left side view? What progressions worked best for you?

On T/F/E: What is a faster way to work these problems? Are there any suggestions to quickly deduce an answer such as counting lines on the top view and translating the same number of lines to the front view. Having a hard time translating the end view and the top view as well as dotted lines on complicated/multiple line figures. I just really need help getting some broad and/or specific ideas and anything would help.

As far as the other sections except for Pattern Folding, normally not missing any but maybe one on punching holes which is also taking more time than I would like. Is making boxes and marking x/s on paper worth the time?

Pattern Folding:
Taking too long, any quick tips to save time?

Members don't see this ad.

TFE: I personally am a visual person, but the thing I have noticed and others might say the same is use the answer choices to your advantage. If you're having a hard time visualizing the object, then look for key differences in the answer choices. Usually two of the four will differ in one aspect while the other will differ in another. i.e Two will have an object closer to you while the other will have object in the back, then each pair will differ in some way. Best is to practice, practice, practice. Learn from your mistakes and improve

Keyholes: Same as TFE, but try to have mental image of the TFE end for the keyhole and compare it to the answer choices. Personally, I will look at the Front view and see if any answer matches while keeping in mind the possibility it could be reversed also. Then go throw each different view. If it comes down to two choices, pay close attention to proportions and slopes and that will usually give you the right answer. Again it takes time but with practice you will be able to go through this section faster.

Pattern Folding: You probs already know about the key face shapes and patterns to follow. To save time, find shortcuts to as to how a certain cubes, prism, cylinders, and stuff folds. They all follow a pattern, always. Once you get down the patterns, all you have to do is attach the "shades" respectively to get your answer, timing should improve with practice.

Hole punching: Yeah the grid is worth it, but to be honest the paper they give is a graph paper type laminated sheet, so I never drew the grid but mentally had the outline of the grid. The grid will allow you to save time and thus use it more on the sections you are struggling with.

btw...do you have DAT Bootcamp? If not and since you still have a week they have one free PAT practice test and also strategies on their website. I personally would recommend getting it (can't compare to Qvault PAT since I didn't but it). They have REALLY GOOD explanations as well! Good luck!

I just starting to look at it, and it seems very helpful. QVault is great but it doesn't give any type of explanation for Perceptual Ability. It might explain two for the whole test if pretty much everyone got it wrong. Just took another practice test on it and got a 22 so I feel a little better but just need to practice.
I missed a few angle ranking questions which was odd but thank you!

I just starting to look at it, and it seems very helpful. QVault is great but it doesn't give any type of explanation for Perceptual Ability. It might explain two for the whole test if pretty much everyone got it wrong. Just took another practice test on it and got a 22 so I feel a little better but just need to practice.
I missed a few angle ranking questions which was odd but thank you!

Are you using DAT BootCamp? They have great explanations for all the sections especially the ones you seem to be weak in. Their problems are more difficult than the real test from my experience but that's EXACTLY why it was worth the money.

As for TFE, you just got to be patient and make sure you get through them. It may take time but you can save time by finishing the "easier" sections like Cube Counting, Angle Ranking and Hole Punches fast.