Perfect Computer & Software for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why wouldnt you just get the bamboo? It's the same price. Plus, the pen doesn't need batteries and you don't need 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity for annotating notes. Just my $.02...

Which are you talking about? The Genius tablet I got my husband for Christmas was $120 at the time, and 7" x 12". And, as Myuu pointed out, it's much better for drawing. The biggest Bamboo is the Fun. It's $200 and 8.5" x 5.5" for the active area for the pen.

For myself, maybe. I'm considering the Bamboo Pen, but again, a Genius would be cheaper, though the price difference is much less pronounced between the smaller Bamboos and the smaller G-Pen/EasyPen Genisu tablets. Still, I think a Genius is perfectly fine and he's been very happy with his.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend a Mac. Several reasons: if you have a problem, you just take it to an apple store and get it fixed there. If there is no apple store nearby, you send it O/N to the nearest Apple Service Center which has lightning fast turn around times. Also, wonderful build quality. I' have my macbook pro since July 2009 and haven't had anything break or go bad on this baby. Prior to that I had a white macbook from 2006-2009 and aside from my breaking the hinge (which wasn't too difficult to replace), that laptop took a lot of abuse and kept up like a champ.

Overall, Apple has the best warranty in the business. It also has incredible build quality. I don't think it's pretentious to buy an Apple product, that argument doesn't make sense. Over the past 5 years of owning a laptop, I've spent $2400 on two of them and have never gone more than two days without it when it was being serviced. My friend who started out with a Dell had countless problems and countless difficulties with customer support. He went weeks without a laptop waiting for a repair. Not to mention, the repaired unit usually failed a little while after receipt.

Spend the extra coin on a nice Macbook and you'll be happy you did.

This. I had a MacBook and now have a MacBook Pro with 2.2 GHz intel core i7 and 8GB memory and couldn't be happier with it. I can't see needing to get another computer for a very, very long time.

Which are you talking about? The Genius tablet I got my husband for Christmas was $120 at the time, and 7" x 12". And, as Myuu pointed out, it's much better for drawing. The biggest Bamboo is the Fun. It's $200 and 8.5" x 5.5" for the active area for the pen.

For myself, maybe. I'm considering the Bamboo Pen, but again, a Genius would be cheaper, though the price difference is much less pronounced between the smaller Bamboos and the smaller G-Pen/EasyPen Genisu tablets. Still, I think a Genius is perfectly fine and he's been very happy with his.

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL460-...WC3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308417592&sr=8-1

Members don't see this ad :)
MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC. Don't get a windows computer. Trust me, Macs are super fast because of their operating system and they last you for years

MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC. Don't get a windows computer. Trust me, Macs are super fast because of their operating system and they last you for years

Yeah bro this guy knows what hes talking about. I put mac OS and on my 10 year old Mac and it's faster than my new PC running windows.

I recommend a Mac. Several reasons: if you have a problem, you just take it to an apple store and get it fixed there. If there is no apple store nearby, you send it O/N to the nearest Apple Service Center which has lightning fast turn around times. Also, wonderful build quality. I' have my macbook pro since July 2009 and haven't had anything break or go bad on this baby. Prior to that I had a white macbook from 2006-2009 and aside from my breaking the hinge (which wasn't too difficult to replace), that laptop took a lot of abuse and kept up like a champ.

Overall, Apple has the best warranty in the business. It also has incredible build quality. I don't think it's pretentious to buy an Apple product, that argument doesn't make sense. Over the past 5 years of owning a laptop, I've spent $2400 on two of them and have never gone more than two days without it when it was being serviced. My friend who started out with a Dell had countless problems and countless difficulties with customer support. He went weeks without a laptop waiting for a repair. Not to mention, the repaired unit usually failed a little while after receipt.

Spend the extra coin on a nice Macbook and you'll be happy you did.

:laugh::laugh: stereotypical Mac fan. This is perfect

"I uhh had a problem with a previous Mac...but uhh ITS STILL AMAZING AND AT NO FAULT AT ALL!!"

"my friend though he had a problem and lololol windoz sucks!!!"

I'm sure if your friend dropped $2400 on two Windows computers over that time period he would have no problem as well ;)

Yeah, I wonder if this is an exaggeration at all :rolleyes:

Never trust anyone with a Naruto avatar to have taste.:smuggrin:

I do think a mac is a good choice, though. I put my machines through hell and only the mac has lasted this long. Too bad the damned graphics card on this thing is crap....:shifty:

Never trust anyone with a Naruto avatar to have taste.:smuggrin:

I do think a mac is a good choice, though. I put my machines through hell and only the mac has lasted this long. Too bad the damned graphics card on this thing is crap....:shifty:

Macs are built well (and of course it comes at a cost), but one thing that I've seen with Macs is that they tend to overheat. The aluminum body acts as a heatsink and they do not offer enough in the form of active cooling.

I recommend a Mac. Several reasons: if you have a problem, you just take it to an apple store and get it fixed there. If there is no apple store nearby, you send it O/N to the nearest Apple Service Center which has lightning fast turn around times.

Overall, Apple has the best warranty in the business.
I hear this about Apple quite a bit and have to call it out when I see it, because its a very common misconception that Apple has amazing warranty coverage.

Dell and IBM both offer Next Business Day on-site repair. Sony offers on-site repair (though they don't promise next business day it's usually within a day or two). Dell and IBM both offer accidental damage warranties that blow Apple's out of the water, though Dell's is the better of the two. If you have any sort of serious physical issue (ie: cracked screen, damaged plastics) and take it to a Genius Bar, all they do is send it to Apple for you, they do not do repairs on-site. Dell and IBM will also send you a FedEX/UPS courier box to ship your laptop overnight to the depot if you have that version of warranty coverage, so you don't get stuck paying $30-$50 in shipping to get your system fixed.

I've personally fixed a Dell laptop that was THROWN FROM A SPEEDING CAR during a police chase. Next day service, no warranty paperwork, showed up and replaced every piece of plastic and the screen (because, remarkably enough, the machine was still working with external KB/mouse and monitor). Try that with any other company and see how things turn out.

Seriously, Apple has pretty good warranty coverage, but they are FAR from the best or most convenient to use. Especially when you factor in their price point.

Also Apple's genius bar is a joke. I've had many friends who have had trouble with them.

Genius bar = Geek Squad....they both suck.

To each his own, of course. I recommend Mac because I've only had great experiences with it.

I personally wouldn't recommend the iPad, though. I have one and wish it supported Flash and was a bit easier to type/takes notes on. For the time being, I find it most useful for reading/annotating PDFs, reading books, watching shows and movies, and web surfing. It's a great gadget for those those activities, but I wish it could do more and I'm sure some other tablets on the market are better in that respect. I think in the end it all comes down to what you like more and are wanting to do on any of these devices. I've never been very tech savvy and so I enjoy the easiness of apple products.