Performing diagnostic TEE while providing anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anumama

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry if this is a repost, I wasn't successful in finding an answer on SDN and google search. I was scheduled in EP today for AFib ablations, was requested by EP doc to drop TEE probe to r/o LAA clot. However, I'm taking care of this patient solo, so is it kosher medicolegally to perform a diagnostic TEE while providing anesthesia? I realize that in the cardiac rooms we do this on a daily basis, but I was under the impression that was different because of the continuous monitoring component.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Sorry if this is a repost, I wasn't successful in finding an answer on SDN and google search. I was scheduled in EP today for AFib ablations, was requested by EP doc to drop TEE probe to r/o LAA clot. However, I'm taking care of this patient solo, so is it kosher medicolegally to perform a diagnostic TEE while providing anesthesia? I realize that in the cardiac rooms we do this on a daily basis, but I was under the impression that was different because of the continuous monitoring component.

I believe you can bill as it’s part of your anesthetic to r/o LAA clot/monitoring for tamponade if it’s and EP procedure. Obviously need a report.

I don’t think you can bill for anesthesia AND TEE if the procedure is TEE.

At least that’s the way I understand it.

Reactions: 4 users
I believe you can bill as it’s part of your anesthetic to r/o LAA clot/monitoring for tamponade if it’s and EP procedure. Obviously need a report.

I don’t think you can bill for anesthesia AND TEE if the procedure is TEE.

At least that’s the way I understand it.

Basically dropping the probe is and "add on", ie, as if you placed an A-line, CVP, etc. If you do the exam and report that's another unit (or two). It's justified because placing a probe and r/o clot is vital to whether or not to continue with the procedure.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You SHOULD be able to bill for this for the same reason you can bill a TEE for cardiac surgery

Reactions: 1 users
Basically dropping the probe is and "add on", ie, as if you placed an A-line, CVP, etc. If you do the exam and report that's another unit (or two). It's justified because placing a probe and r/o clot is vital to whether or not to continue with the procedure.

Similar billing as rescue TEE. Make sure a full report with saved images for full reimbursement.

Reactions: 2 users
Makes sense, thank you guys for your responses.