Perio-Prosth Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentcanuck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Currently a second year dental student interested in applying to combined Perio-Prosth programs.
I understand there is one at Penn, uthscsa, and Loma Linda. I've also heard that Maryland has one?
Are there any other programs out there or are these the only ones...?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard UPenn one actually is perio program which add prosth content. You can take American board of Perio but not Prosth.

There is one guy finish Prosth 3 years in BU and then do perio for 2 more years at same place.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard UPenn one actually is perio program which add prosth content. You can take American board of Perio but not Prosth.

There is one guy finish Prosth 3 years in BU and then do perio for 2 more years at same place.
Thanks for your reply, so he turned two separate programs into one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply, so he turned two separate programs into one?

Yes, he applied to perio at the end of second year prosth.

Since most of the interdisciplinary classes are the same for both program, so he got many exempt classes when he do perio.

Reactions: 1 user
I would check to see that Maryland perio-prosth is still an active program, as they haven't taken any residents for this upcoming next year.

With the surge of prosth programs placing implants, you might be better suited to look at prosth programs that are heavy into surgery as well. Not that it would completely equate, but something to consider.

I would check to see that Maryland perio-prosth is still an active program, as they haven't taken any residents for this upcoming next year.
Thank you for the information!

With the surge of prosth programs placing implants, you might be better suited to look at prosth programs that are heavy into surgery as well. Not that it would completely equate, but something to consider.

I would definitely not go that route. The so called "surgical prosthodontics" programs are just prosth + additional month of implant training >> which is a ridiculously short time to call yourself anything beyond a "implant tourist" (not even a novice, much less "competent").

If you are ambitious enough to do a true combined perio/prosth program (the REAL super dentist) then go for it! Let us know where you will practice when you graduate so I can come to you for my own dental care!

Reactions: 1 users
We have a formal perio-pros program in San Antonio. 5 years, board eligible for both. It's a grueling ride but you come out well-trained. If you truly are interested in becoming a periodontist and a prosthodontist, don't mind scaling, root planing, processing dentures, and stacking porcelain, and have a brilliant idea to be able to practice both specialties after graduating, I'd recommend checking us out.

Hello friends ,
Does anyone know if upenn perio/prostho closed the interview process ? I applied and have not heard from them ! I assume they did not found my application strong enough ! Do they notify id they were not interested in someone !
Thanks !