Perio residency reviews?

Started by Buser4341
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Buser4341

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be applying to perio programs this upcoming cycle and have started reviewing different programs.

What is everyone's opinion about programs I should consider or even those I should stay away from? Location does not matter. I'm interested in more clinical experiences over research, multi-disciplinary treatment planning (prosth, ortho, etc), and strong faculty support.

I found this old thread, but it may be outdated by now (2013): Perio Programs and applying
 
Last edited:
Look into stipend based programs.
Thank you.

I reviewed a few of the programs that offer a stipend, but here are my thoughts:
1. Mayo clinic: has only one faculty, not very strong in implantology, seems like they spend more time conducting research/hospital rotations vs clinical perio.
2. VA clinics (Manhattan, West LA, Indianapolis): it seems these programs pay a large stipend, but the residents do not receive much faculty guidance in clinic. Also, since these patients are medical complex, it seems they spend a lot of time with medical consults/clearances rather than the typical healthy that is ready for implants, esthetic crown lengthening, osseous surgery, etc.
3. UCLA: no idea the quality of education there. Seems like they recently changed program directors.

If anyone has any input or could provide me with moire guidance, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!