Periodic Table Provided?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espada

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in the process of studying for August PCAT, does anyone know if they provide you with a periodic table?

Also, since I know there are no calculators allowed, do they at least provide you with a basic calculator on the computer?

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot use a periodic table, or any calculators on the pcat. Also, you test in a test booklet and not on the computer.

Good luck in Aug

Thank you so much for your reply and response.

I also had another question. Since its not computerized, are you allowed to bring a watch? or is there a timer provided?

Sorry for questions. I feel overwhelmed with the exam itself.

IMO, it may depend on the proctor, but I used my watch to pace myself. Also, there was a face clock in the room and the proctor informed us when there was 5 mins left for each section.

Members don't see this ad :)
some lecture halls do have a huge periodic table on the wall especially if its for a science lecture, but tbh you dont really need them anyways.

for the june pcat, i was stunned that people brought their cell phones, backpacks, study guides, etc with them into the room. i only brought a watch and my #2 pencils. the prompter would readjust a large clock upfront to the nearest half hour and also inform us 5 minutes before time was up. i found it easier to just look at that then my watch.

Don't count on there being a clock in the room. In my exam, I looked for a clock but did not see one. Maybe it was in a corner I missed, but I still couldn't find it. It is better to bring your own watch. Just make sure it doesn't beep. In my room, they threatened to throw you out for that. Also it is helpful to set it to 12:00 at the start of each section. That way you can easily figure out how much time has passed and how much time you have left.

I would bring an analog watch just to be safe. I doubt they would kick you out if your watch beeped, but it's better to be sure and use the kind with hands.

As far as bringing stuff in, I brought a wallet (ID and money), about a dozen pencils, and a watch. Many others brought backpacks but they had to leave those in a special area that they couldn't access except at break time. That seemed like a lot of hassle for something you don't need and can't really get to.

The only crappy part is there were NO VENDING MACHINES in the building where I took the test! I had planned on a snack or a soda to help me get through...

Thanks everyone for their reply.

I feel a bit more relaxed now with the information.

Did you guys get like a dry erase board? or did you do all your sketch work inside the booklet?

some lecture halls do have a huge periodic table on the wall especially if its for a science lecture, but tbh you dont really need them anyways.

The PCAT is standardized across the nation. which means if one test center prohibits the use of the periodic table, all of them do. You cannot use a calculator or Periodic table on the exam. There are nor periodic table posters posted on the classrooms becuse all of the material is REMOVED from the room during exam time.

Thanks everyone for their reply.

I feel a bit more relaxed now with the information.

Did you guys get like a dry erase board? or did you do all your sketch work inside the booklet?

I think you get some loose paper to do your "sketch work," but there isn't a whole lot of that. You don't have time to write a rough draft for your essays and most of the calculations have some kind of gimmick that makes the math really easy.

The PCAT is standardized across the nation. which means if one test center prohibits the use of the periodic table, all of them do. You cannot use a calculator or Periodic table on the exam. There are nor periodic table posters posted on the classrooms becuse all of the material is REMOVED from the room during exam time.

Oh yea...better tell the PCAT about one of the lecture halls at UC-Berkeley. It had a gigantic Periodic Table in it where students took the test. I wasn't in this particular test room at the time, but I highly doubt it was covered up considering it covered half the lecture hall..

Oh yea...better tell the PCAT about one of the lecture halls at UC-Berkeley. It had a gigantic Periodic Table in it where students took the test. I wasn't in this particular test room at the time, but I highly doubt it was covered up considering it covered half the lecture hall..

IMO it's not a big deal. It's not like that periodic table gave anyone an advantage on the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO it's not a big deal. It's not like that periodic table gave anyone an advantage on the test.

yeah i don't think so either. While I was doing my chem section, I was way too busy to even think about a periodic table. Some people feel very strongly about equal conditions no matter what i guess.

So no questions will be asked where the periodic table is needed (like which is more electronegative or higher ionization?) Also. if the calculator is not allowed does that mean there won't be many formulas or equations that have to be solved?

So no questions will be asked where the periodic table is needed (like which is more electronegative or higher ionization?) Also. if the calculator is not allowed does that mean there won't be many formulas or equations that have to be solved?

Electronegativity questions/ion questions they will only ask the basic ones...ie F > Cl etc.

As for the no calculator part....there won't be super hard calculations but you still need to know formulas and equations. I dont understand how a calculator will help you using those equations unless you're so use to programming equations into your calculator...

When we say the periodic table isn't needed, it means they basically provide you with what you need to solve an equation. For example, a problem may read like this:

If 20 g of NaOH were dissolved in 500 mL of solution, what would be the molarity of the NaOH in this solution?

Then they will give you the information that you could obtain from the periodic table; such as, AW's: Na= 23, H= 1, O= 16

If I was you, I would learn to solve any equations in the kaplan or dr collins study guide. Any could appear on the test.

Of course some basic knowledge about the periodic table is needed. For example, which is more electronegative: Na or F? The obvious answer is F.

So I will need to memorize basic periodic trends and elements, and also memorize any equation/formula needed?

Yeah, pretty much. They will not supply anything except the numbers you need to solve the question. I'm pretty sure in some cases they do give the numbers you need (constants, obviously) but otherwise you're on your own.

Would that mean practice questions on Kaplan like which of these is more electronegative/higher ionization won't be asked?

At least on my exam, this section was very conceptual and didn't have a large amount of calculations. You should know your trends backwards and forwards. Know electronegativity, atomic radii, ionization energy, and electron affinity trends so well that you don't have to stop and think about it. There are easy points to be had that take little time if you can do this. You don't have to memorize the periodic table but you should know the trends for the more common elements or groups.