Periodontics Programs Overview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is an open discussion of the relative strengths and weaknesses of perio programs to serve as a resource to current and future applicants. Please feel free to post anything you've learned about your own school's perio program or through residency interviews/externships.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you might have a better chance of someone responding if you didn't use the term "Periodontistry." Maybe try asking about Endodontistry or Prosthodontistry. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
why is there so much of animosity among different residents, esp agaisnt Perio.. just for your info, next to OMFS, Perio is the closest specialty to any medical specialties..please try to give resoect to other specialties and we are all serving the community as health care professional which needs a little bit of professionalism..

why is there so much of animosity among different residents, esp agaisnt Perio.. just for your info, next to OMFS, Perio is the closest specialty to any medical specialties..please try to give resoect to other specialties and we are all serving the community as health care professional which needs a little bit of professionalism..

Where did this come from?

This is a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally neat statement.

I would have to disagree and say that Oral Path and Radiology are up there with OMFS as far as "medical specialties" are concerned, much more so than Perio.

-Hup!

I would have to disagree and say that Oral Path and Radiology are up there with OMFS as far as "medical specialties" are concerned, much more so than Perio.

-Hup!

All great examples of dentists that love to play doctor.:thumbup: Probably should have just gone to medical school in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I'm sure you're aware, AS, there is a certain history on this board of belittling perio. I'm not supporting that post, but perio certainly gets crapped on here.

That is because periodontistry is a toilet.

Periodontistry is probably made fun of so much on here because everytime someone makes a thread like this a couple of perio guys come on here and decide to start making random arguments on why they should be worshipped more than OMFS guys.

That just riles up the OMFS guys/'gals' who have been up all night taking call for their co resident who has been on maternity leave for 6 months and they start making fun of the perio guys.

The perio guys get even angrier because the OMFS guys are funnier and better at making fun of the perio guys and then the thread goes off topic and is eventually locked.

Temple's Perio Program:
The residents seem happy, they cover the clinic floor for us clinical students 2-4 times a week and they do all sorts of stuff here. Perio placed two implants a couple of weeks ago into one of my patients. They do gum surgeries and extensive cleanings. I wouldn't compare it to anything I have seen OMFS residents do in the OR though, but I haven't shadowed perio much. Overall I think they get a lot of experiance and come out well versed in the art of periodontistry.

thank you for the useless information - is there some1 who really can say something about perio? ...worth it, how long... etc?

I've done it, I loved it before..I love it evenmore now that I really got to see what you can learn and do ... I would not change it with any other specialty! ( for me this is the best choice I could have made - now for every person - interests/dislikes are different)..

That is because periodontistry is a toilet.

For your information, any field in dentistry depends on perio, and I dont mean it in a sense that perio is the Sole center of dentistry. Take any field Pros ortho, whatever, you need to maintain periodontal health, and do perio surgery if that is required. There would be no aesthetics if it wasn't for perio; and those who personally wouldn't want to do it themselves theres always an option to refer. I personally would hate to be a pedodontist, but it doesnt make the field any worse, all i do is thank god that there are people who love it and would do it for me. So by saying that perio is a toilet, you just show that your dental knowledge is a toilet.

hi every body
i am international trained dentist looking for residency in periodontology, i am sponsored, so i don't care if no stippend at all.please any information or advice.(we say periodontics but I thought in USA you say''periodontistry'').

Last edited:
Please--fix the post to read Periodontics--the other sounds really dumb

You must be FU@$ing kidding me. Perio isn't even close to any medical specialty...let alone OMFS. I'm not going to go on a tirade on what I think of perio.......

:thumbup:

To give you an idea about the periodontal specialty and periodontal programs, here is the following: as mentioned on one of the threads, perio in private practice is evaluated, to a certain extent, by all other specialties and incorporates all other specialties. For example, one may refer to ortho to solve crowding that is responsible for pocketing, one will involve prostho for the obvious reasons and the same is true for general dentists. Endo is involved in perio-endo lesions. Pedo is involved in treating Aggressive Perio cases or in treating perio from a congenital condition. OMFS is involved when there is suspected pathology or when a 3rd is impinging on a 2nd molar causing periodontal pocketing and you're not comfortable in extracting the 3rd. One should note, there are many general dentists who don't care about perio in the same way they don't care about how they practice or referring to any other specialty - meaning they'll perform an Endo that they have no training in doing or their work simply stinks. (Remember most general dentists graduate at the bottom of their class) Also, periodontal disease, due it's proinflammatory chronic state, has been associated to many systemic conditions, and therefore, the arena of periodontal medicine has evolved more and more recently. It has reached the point that medical insurance wouldl rather pay $25,000 for periodontal procedures than pay $500,000 for treatment a heart condition or diabetes over many years- this is where periodontics is headed.

In terms of programs - there are programs that are very research oriented and there are programs that are very clinical, and there are programs that are balanced well. There are also programs who do nothing - attendance is only 4 days a week. There are programs that place lots of implants and there are programs who place a minimal amount of implants. Some schools use several implant systems and some use only 1 or 2. Some schools have other departments that place implants which makes perio lose out on implants. There are programs doing many soft tissue grafts and there are programs who do very little of that and mostly do pocket reduction surgery and crown lengthening. Some programs use lasers. Some programs don't allow sinus lifts due to school politics, and have them done by OMFS. Some schools won't allow extractions to be done unless they're placing an implant. Some schools allow extraction of 3rd and some don't. Some schools prepare you well to take the diplomate exam and some schools don't. Some schools treat their residents no differently than dental students and some schools treat residents with respect. Some schools have residents gradually start from less difficult procedures to more complex procedures, while others may have you do a sinus lift as your first procedure.

I hope you get the picture. Advice is: do your research. If you don't have a strong application, take what you get and then learn on your own.

Reactions: 1 user
To give you an idea about the periodontal specialty and periodontal programs, here is the following: as mentioned on one of the threads, perio in private practice is evaluated, to a certain extent, by all other specialties and incorporates all other specialties. For example, one may refer to ortho to solve crowding that is responsible for pocketing, one will involve prostho for the obvious reasons and the same is true for general dentists. Endo is involved in perio-endo lesions. Pedo is involved in treating Aggressive Perio cases or in treating perio from a congenital condition. OMFS is involved when there is suspected pathology or when a 3rd is impinging on a 2nd molar causing periodontal pocketing and you're not comfortable in extracting the 3rd.

One can say this about literally any specialty, that their specialty affect every other specialty. Perio holds no special place in this regard.

(Remember most general dentists graduate at the bottom of their class)

This is an INCREDIBLY inflammatory statement, is far from true (The valedictorian of my class, and the top 3 students in the class ahead of mine are all general dentists), and is exceptionally ridiculous coming from a perio standpoint, a specialty which, while it has it's place in dentistry, objectively requires minimal academic achievement to get in to.

Please though, keep it up with comments like this. I'll be glad to take the implant referrals from those "idiot" GP's off your hands

Also, periodontal disease, due it's proinflammatory chronic state, has been associated to many systemic conditions, and therefore, the arena of periodontal medicine has evolved more and more recently. It has reached the point that medical insurance wouldl rather pay $25,000 for periodontal procedures than pay $500,000 for treatment a heart condition or diabetes over many years- this is where periodontics is headed.

Any causal link between perio and systemic disease is far from proven. The Obstetrics and Periodontal RCT is showing no relation between PTB/LBW and therapy and that was the best correlational link perio disease had to anything. Still a ton of research to be done in this field.

It has reached the point that medical insurance wouldl rather pay $25,000 for periodontal procedures than pay $500,000 for treatment a heart condition or diabetes over many years- this is where periodontics is headed.

In your dreams.

One should note, there are many general dentists who don't care about perio in the same way they don't care about how they practice or referring to any other specialty - meaning they'll perform an Endo that they have no training in doing or their work simply stinks. (Remember most general dentists graduate at the bottom of their class)

I hope you get the picture. Advice is: do your research. If you don't have a strong application, take what you get and then learn on your own.

Seriously? Most of my friends from dental school are general dentists and they were no where near the bottom of the class... In fact, some of the work I saw them do IN dental school was excellent by any standard.... Please don't make generalizations.

The only statement I agree with is the last one: If you're a dental student and you want to be a periodontist, you can be a periodontist... it's not hard to get into. :D

(Remember most general dentists graduate at the bottom of their class)
This is an incorrect assumption. Since many dental schools do the grading on a curve, very few students are on the bottom of the class. Even at the school that do the grading based on straight percentage, most students try to study hard to stay away from being at the bottom so they don’t get kicked out of school.

The reason many GPs don’t refer to periodontists is perio disease is a chronic non-painful disease. No matter how much the GPs try to give the OHI, people won’t listen and don’t floss and brush their teeth the way they are supposed to. Very few patients take the GPs’ advice seriously by making an effort to see perio. By the time the patient see the perio, it becomes too late….extractions and implants are the next best solutions. The good perio program is the one that put great emphasis on dental implants, implant treatment planning, sinus lift, autogenous block bone grafts (allograft is not acceptable for holding the implant), multi-disciplinary approaches etc. It is not important to place a high number of implants in your residency. It is the number of complex cases that you learn to work together with prosth residents that is more important. USC is one of perio programs that does all the things that I mentioned above.
Also, periodontal disease, due it's proinflammatory chronic state, has been associated to many systemic conditions, and therefore, the arena of periodontal medicine has evolved more and more recently. It has reached the point that medical insurance wouldl rather pay $25,000 for periodontal procedures than pay $500,000 for treatment a heart condition or diabetes over many years- this is where periodontics is headed.
My wife has practiced perio for 10 years and no one has asked her about the link between heart diseases and perio disease. It is sad that there are some perio and GPs who use this link as a way to sell the periochip/periostat treatments.

Without dental implants, perio can’t survive. I’ve seen a huge shift toward implants at my wife’s practice. I just don’t understand why many students here hate periodontics so much. It is a great profession. As the above poster mentioned, it is not very hard to get into. Great lifestyle, very few emergency calls, easy job, short work hours (usually 4-5 hours a day, 2-3 days/week) …great for female doctors who are busy taking care of their kids.

It's not really until you complete a OMFS residency do you really realize how way far ahead of the other specialties you are from both a medical and surgical standpoint. Surgery is everything perio could ever wish for, and everything it couldn't even imagine being...and you know what? that's cool for what it is. But if by "next medical specialty to OMFS' you mean like how tyson gay came 2nd to bolt ...yeah sure. I guess.

To the other guy, rambling some foolishness about most GP graduate at the bottom of their class, consider this, my year we had a graduating class of 45, what separated the top from half way thru the pack NBDE 1 was probably 6% in decimal increments. The top chick, had like a 98, was top both medical and dental school for highest GPA, and she went general. Our lowest grade was a 85 (as rumored)...he went to perio.

It has reached the point that medical insurance wouldl rather pay $25,000 for periodontal procedures than pay $500,000 for treatment a heart condition or diabetes over many years- this is where periodontics is headed.

To all the periodontal plastic surgeons who have tried to make a career and name over this ridiculous research I will give you this for free, and you dont even have to give me any credit. Dirt bags that dont take care of their teeth, are......so surprising, not going to take care of themselves in general. Thus, they also will have heart disease, Type II diabetes, LBW/PT babies etc. Next they will try to link chronic periodontitis secondary to smoking with patients who have heart disease, and then make a case that the heart disease is secondary to periodontitis.

I admire them for their vigilance in trying to save their specialty, they need to. Because as GP's are targeted in the implant marketing and Oral Surgeons pull their heads out and realize they need to be more personable and approachable with referrals from GP's, the implant well will dry up for you gum gardners.

The person who said that one can say about any specialty and how it works with every other specialty - I agree that this is true, but I see perio to be the one most involved. It's like a house that cannot stand without its foundation. The periodontum is the foundation of the tooth - anything you want to invest into the tooth, you want to make sure that it's foundation is strong enough, otherwise the work invested into the tooth is for naught.

It seems that some of the people writing these posts have not seen how general dentists completely overlook the perio in their practice. I've been seeing way too many cases of crowns going on mobile teeth with furcation involvement or using these teeth as abutments for RPDs or FPDs. What should I blame this type of dentistry on? It seems that the GP just doesn't care, so I assume he didn't care in dental school when he was taught that it is wrong. Regarding to the GPs who graduated on top of the class, I'm sure there are plenty; I was specifically referring to the GPs on bottom of class who didn't care in dental school and don't care when they're in practice. Although, it's generalization, obviously it's not true for everyone.

It terms perio being an inflammatory disease associated with others - for all those who not absolutely nothing about periodontal disease, perhaps you should read the periodontal literature. THe person who discussed adverse pregnancy outcomes and how that is not clear - you're right it's not clear, but all the studies do show that by treating periodontal disease with scaling/root planing, adverse pregnancy outcomes decrease. I'm wondering whether this is coincidence.

For all those who don't believe that medical insurances will cover perio procedures - they've already started doing so, just give it more time until they pick up more of the procedures.

In terms of the person who discussed how implant oriented perio is - it's true, but one's job is to save teeth, not replace them. Only when they're not salavageable, then we resort to implants. Implants are great, but teeth are better. GPs placing them is that they just want a piece of the pie. Due to this, one of the upcoming popular areas that will arise and will be treated by periodontists, is peri-implantitis. It's beginning to rise and the more unqualified GPs start placing implants, the more work for the periodontist. Anyway, enough of this. I was only trying to give a vague perpective of perio and where its heading, and about the types of programs that are out there.

I think you get the point.

I was only trying to give a vague perpective of perio and where its heading, and about the types of programs that are out there.

But by doing so you made some erroneous claims. Your internet attitude is what drove me nuts about the perio guys at my school. Scrubbing in from head to toe, placing booties and full surgical scrubs and a surgical bouffant cap on to place implants...only to walk around the school during lunch with all the stuff on. Clowns. Wannabe's.

While doing my medicine rotations in OMFS I have come to realize that dental schools prepare your worth a crap for medicine. Most of my medicine came from self study.

What do you do at 1am when the ER calls you for an admit to your service because of raging HTN, DM, and borderline liver failure??? With every ounce inside of me I can attest that the LAST thing this patient needs is a full quadrant of sc/rp.

Go ahead and keep thinking that you guys are the shiznit when it comes to surgery, managing complex medical problems, and doing 'wild' operations in your booties (WTF?). When I peel someones face/forhead down over thier chin and access the medial orbit and repair a III NOE fracture, I smile and think 'just doing some perio'. Heaven help us.

Thinking you are close to MD...holy crap. I work in a hospital all the time and I know I don't come close to their knowledge. I know I could easily burn any perio foo though, after all they are the bottom of their class...:rolleyes:

But by doing so you made some erroneous claims. Your internet attitude is what drove me nuts about the perio guys at my school. Scrubbing in from head to toe, placing booties and full surgical scrubs and a surgical bouffant cap on to place implants...only to walk around the school during lunch with all the stuff on. Clowns. Wannabe's.

While doing my medicine rotations in OMFS I have come to realize that dental schools prepare your worth a crap for medicine. Most of my medicine came from self study.

What do you do at 1am when the ER calls you for an admit to your service because of raging HTN, DM, and borderline liver failure??? With every ounce inside of me I can attest that the LAST thing this patient needs is a full quadrant of sc/rp.

Go ahead and keep thinking that you guys are the shiznit when it comes to surgery, managing complex medical problems, and doing 'wild' operations in your booties (WTF?). When I peel someones face/forhead down over thier chin and access the medial orbit and repair a III NOE fracture, I smile and think 'just doing some perio'. Heaven help us.

Thinking you are close to MD...holy crap. I work in a hospital all the time and I know I don't come close to their knowledge. I know I could easily burn any perio foo though, after all they are the bottom of their class...:rolleyes:
We had MDs lecture and suggest that patients with DM receive SRP because it may lower their HB1AC levels by 0.4%! Periodontist can help cure diabetes, regardless of said literature.

Do prostha'dontist put on the cute booties for their "enameloplasties"?

We had MDs lecture and suggest that patients with DM receive SRP because it may lower their HB1AC levels by 0.4%! Periodontist can help cure diabetes, regardless of said literature.

Do prostha'dontist put on the cute booties for their "enameloplasties"?

This is exactly what I am talking about. "Suggest" being the key word.

Curing diabetes is also one for the books.

I have also heard of pocket therapy gaining .4 mm of attachment! AMAZING!

Is it true that the battle between OMFS and Periodontics is largely because OMFS are jelous at periodontists activating strokes and exploratory motions with regards to soft tissue?

Is it true that the battle between OMFS and Periodontics is largely because OMFS are jelous at periodontists activating strokes and exploratory motions with regards to soft tissue?

What does "activating strokes and exploratory motions" even mean???? Let's try and keep this thread PG rated, why don't we...

And please STOP with the whole "Periodontist know how to treat soft tissue like a lady" argument!!! On a day in/day out basis, OMS deal with and manage soft tissue AT LEAST 10 times what periodontists do, and we are more efficient in doing so.

I will admit, however, that you are much better at scaling & root planing than I am....and in listing all the interlukins involved in chronic aggressive periodontitis...

There are some perio programs that make you scrub in for implants - those programs are generally run by European instructors. In Europe, implants are placed while scrubbed in. In US, it is rare. In terms of preparation for medicine - it depends what school you went to.

What does Sc/RP have to do with someone in the ER. The problem is that the only thing you've ever been exposed to in perio is scaling/root planing; there is so much more. Unfortunately, you have no respect for perio, which is where the problem begins. Take yourself out of your box and begin to think the importance of perio, just like any other specialty. In OMFS, yeah you take care of the maxillofacial aspect of health, but that's not dentistry. There's a reason that an oral surgeon is not called a "surgodontist." Yet, I strongly believe that oral surgeons are a significant part of dental care, in the same way that pros, pedo, ortho, perio, and endo is important. I guess they're beating the crap out of you so much in your OMFS residency that you only know how to take your stress out on perio.

Take at easy and start being positive.

Tsn,

I'm pretty sure we take care of both dental and maxillofacial aspects of health, not just one. Your European comment is anecdotal and has nothing to do with periodontists walking around in booties. We don't like you and some periodontists bc of your claims to knowing medicine next to omfs, which isn't remarkably true. You may have a slightly better understanding of medicine than a gp if you went to a combined dds and md school where the first two years are combined. I say slight bc you never do any significant time rotating through the hospital like m3 or an intern year of surgery.

Everybody is hating on you mainly bc you slammed gp dentists which is bs. Grow up Peter pan.

It terms perio being an inflammatory disease associated with others - for all those who not absolutely nothing about periodontal disease, perhaps you should read the periodontal literature. THe person who discussed adverse pregnancy outcomes and how that is not clear - you're right it's not clear, but all the studies do show that by treating periodontal disease with scaling/root planing, adverse pregnancy outcomes decrease. I'm wondering whether this is coincidence.

Obviously you're not particularly up to date on your own literature. Re-read what I said about the Obstetrics and Periodontal randomized controlled trial that's ongoing right now. This is the largest RCT ever performed on seeing how periodontal treatment affects obstetric outcomes and their preliminary findings are that there's no correlation between perio treatment and reduced PTB/LBW.

As an aside, I wonder how much grant money I can get for researching the association of retained 3rd molars and PTB/LBW?

those programs are generally run by European instructors.

Nah, they only scrub in when Misch comes around. Then they walk the halls like they just weber-fergusoned someone, in their booties.

What does Sc/RP have to do with someone in the ER.

Nothing. That is my point. Until you manage patients who present to the ER with a BNP of 1,000 and kidney failure, you don't know medicine. Sure you can tell me that the patient is taking HCTZ and Enalapril and you might know a general classification of what drug it is...but that doesn't mean you know medicine. My whole point is to destroy the notion that you are close to a medical specialty.

I am a pretty laid back guy with minimal stress. That's not my problem. My problem is with certain periodontists attitude with regards to soft tissue management, 'being smarter than GP's, and being closely compared to medical specialties. For whatever reason I don't ever have this problem with any other dentists or dental specialists. There must be a reason.

Nah, they only scrub in when Misch comes around. Then they walk the halls like they just weber-fergusoned someone, in their booties.

Nothing. That is my point. Until you manage patients who present to the ER with a BNP of 1,000 and kidney failure, you don't know medicine. Sure you can tell me that the patient is taking HCTZ and Enalapril and you might know a general classification of what drug it is...but that doesn't mean you know medicine. My whole point is to destroy the notion that you are close to a medical specialty.

I am a pretty laid back guy with minimal stress. That's not my problem. My problem is with certain periodontists attitude with regards to soft tissue management, 'being smarter than GP's, and being closely compared to medical specialties. For whatever reason I don't ever have this problem with any other dentists or dental specialists. There must be a reason.

I never said that periodontists are like MDs. I admire OMFS and what they do in the operating room and the hospital. All I said was that there has been a lot recently on periodontitis and its association with other systemic inflammatory disorders. Since that's true some medical insurance companies are willing to cover certain periodontal procedures. That's all I said. I never periodontists are MDs. I think you have it so inside of you to trash periodontists that you just read into it that way.

Mr. Armorshell, I'm glad you know about the largest clinical trial on LTBW and periodontal disease. There is much more there. Keep reading into the literature. Maybe you'll learn more about perio.

You guys, OMFS and perio are two different fields, residencies and lifestyles. Personally I respect BOTH, because get cases and do work that I would never ever touch! Can we just give it a rest?

Reactions: 1 user
Scrubbing in from head to toe, placing booties and full surgical scrubs and a surgical bouffant cap on to place implants...only to walk around the school during lunch with all the stuff on. Clowns. Wannabe's.

hahahahaha

Mr. Armorshell, I'm glad you know about the largest clinical trial on LTBW and periodontal disease. There is much more there. Keep reading into the literature. Maybe you'll learn more about perio.

I know the literature. I also know how to appreciate different levels of evidence. I'll take a massive, blinded RCT over any number of small, biased cohorts any day.

This thread is an open discussion of the relative strengths and weaknesses of perio programs to serve as a resource to current and future applicants. Please feel free to post anything you've learned about your own school's perio program or through residency interviews/externships.

Armorshell, did you start this thread just to have another OMFS/Perio battleground? :)

So perio do almost all the "practical" privite practice things, excluding third molars, that OS do?

I guess my question is:

OS = perio + good at pulling teeth ?

So perio do almost all the "practical" privite practice things, excluding third molars, that OS do?

I guess my question is:

OS = perio + good at pulling teeth ?

No. if true, americans would sign up for their programs.