Periodontics Programs Overview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You must be FU@$ing kidding me. Perio isn't even close to any medical specialty...let alone OMFS. I'm not going to go on a tirade on what I think of perio.......

Seriously people, everyone follows their passion... so to each their own!
At my university perio residents got to do a lot of cool stuff and they do surgeries so yes it is a medical specialty!!! they do more surgeries (soft tissue, bone grafts and implant placements and lets not forget about atraumatic exos that OMS really dont know how to do, etc) than radiology that someone mentioned! so let the perios so their job and arrogant OMS to do theirs.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok everyone take your last sip of haterade, and please reserve this forum for what it was intended: "This thread is an open discussion of the relative strengths and weaknesses of perio programs to serve as a resource to current and future applicants. Please feel free to post anything you've learned about your own school's perio program or through residency interviews/externships."

You must be FU@$ing kidding me. Perio isn't even close to any medical specialty...let alone OMFS. I'm not going to go on a tirade on what I think of perio.......

Before foulmouthing know about Perio. What you know is a drop and what you dont know is an ocean

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I can take #30 out in about 15 seconds it is somehow traumatic?

Stupid comments are why we think what we do about perio.

After I was tortured in dental school watching a perio resident elevate a full mucoperiosteal flap for 45 minutes I decided I knew enough. I almost drowned in one drop of water, I can't imagine what a whole ocean of 45 minute envelope flaps would do to me.

Because I can take #30 out in about 15 seconds it is somehow traumatic?

Stupid comments are why we think what we do about perio.

After I was tortured in dental school watching a perio resident elevate a full mucoperiosteal flap for 45 minutes I decided I knew enough. I almost drowned in one drop of water, I can't imagine what a whole ocean of 45 minute envelope flaps would do to me.

While shadowing a GP recently I asked him why he refers his implants to Perio instead of OS. He explained to me that althoug the quality of work is comparable between the two specialties, the OS guys are arrogant *****holes.

Let the pissing match resume.

While shadowing a GP recently I asked him why he refers his implants to Perio instead of OS. He explained to me that althoug the quality of work is comparable between the two specialties, the OS guys are arrogant *****holes.

Let the pissing match resume.

Hahaha.... there are *******s everywhere and there are great surgeons and great periodontists.... can't we all just get along..... :idea:

the Perio program at LLU is 3 years long. The residents rotate in the main clinic to do perio dx, consults and other perio related tasts. Residents place implants, do sinus augmentations, grafts of various sorts, deep cleanings, etc. I've been privy to a number of procedures and I can honestly say that perio interests me much more than any other specialty. I've had nothing but good experiences with the residents and faculty (at least once I got over my prejudice against perio).

The OMFS residents are a mixed breed, but it does seem to have more of the "fratboy" type (think The Todd from Scrubs). They do some incredible procedures, but it isn't for me.

Can anyone at NYU perio or interviewed at NYU perio comment on how the program might have changed since Tarnow left a few years ago? How is the program developing these days? Can any residents or interviewees from the past cycle comment on the type of applicant they're inviting for interviews? Feel free to PM me if you need.