oms fan

How I feel everyday...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
Something that is fluted is grooved...think of architectural columns with grooves around the periphery.
In dentistry, you often see fluting (vertical grooves/depressions) on tooth roots. For example, the distal aspect of the mesial root of mandibular molars. This area has a fairly prominent groove and can therefore be dangerous during endo...ie. perforation of the root. Another very common area of fluting is the mesial aspect of maxillary first premolars.

OP
D

dentisthubli

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
I would like to know wht is in fluting in Periodontal surgery not endodontics

UTDental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2003
Memphis
Visit site
Status
Fluting in perio is a way to remove a type 1 (possibly 2) furcation on a molar. The roots are reshaped to where the furcation is eliminated. Fluting in prosthodontics means a crown is made to "curve in" between the roots of the tooth when there is recession; aka there's an invagination in the middle of the buccal or lingual of a md molar above the furcation. The height of contour is also eliminated (or greatly reduced). This creates optimum periodontal health. Otherwise, a plaque trap is created.

gumgardener2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Status
dentisthubli said:
hello everybody,

I would like to know what is meant by "Fluting"?

regards,

Dh :)
"Fluting" is what omfsapplicant will have to do to the program director to get into his OMS residency program. :smuggrin: :laugh:

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
omfs expert said:
aphistis for someone who doesn't argue with idiots, its getting tough to tell.
You know, omfsapplicant, evading account holds is grounds for a permanent ban. You might want to be a little less obvious about it.