Perio Residency Requirements- Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental_720

Reaction score
I'm a current dental student and thinking of specializing in periodontics. I know that almost all perio programs require research, but was wondering if anyone knows what kind of research? Are the topics limited to dentistry? Or can the topic be on anything dental/medical related? If you're applying or thinking of applying, what kind of research did you do? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question for the faculty in your school. They have ongoing research projects and you should be able to join and work on some.

I'm a current dental student and thinking of specializing in periodontics. I know that almost all perio programs require research, but was wondering if anyone knows what kind of research? Are the topics limited to dentistry? Or can the topic be on anything dental/medical related? If you're applying or thinking of applying, what kind of research did you do? Thanks in advance!

You can do research in whatever you like. Programs will prefer Class Rank & Dental Experience over research experience.

Reactions: 1 user
For my research experience, I got a position with a Cancer Institute and studied the effect of statins to increase the disease free survival in patients suffering from head and neck cancers and periodontal disease, the periodontal disease part didnt work out, bc it wasn't recorded in many of the dental notes....this was unnecessary! If you can get any experience drafting an IRB, it will look good...rank and experience will trump any research experiences.