not great first semester, worried about potentially specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mozzarella992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have been lurking around a lot but never made an account until now

I am a first year dental student and my first semester didn't go that great. I got a 2.4 GPA (ranked 71/93) and I am a really worried about not being able to get into a residency in the future.

I understand that it is too early to figure it out, and that I still have to learn more about specialities, but I am interested in perio and I am afraid that my first semester GPA is going to ruin my chances..

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Get back up the rankings. You're lucky you want a specialty that's a tad less competitive than omfs or ortho!

Reactions: 1 user
having lower grades isn't the end-all-be-all. sure you have to work harder, but it isn't impossible..use your goals as motivation.

perio can be hit or miss. like with any other program you have competitive ones, and not so competitive ones. gum gardening...well yea that's true, but a lot of the surgeries are pretty cool, and if you're fortunate to go to a school that has a very hands on perio program, try to see if you can shadow or intern..who knows you may be able to do minor procedures under close supervision.

but always remember that you can specialize later on. a lot of people do gprs/aegd and then realize that they want to pursue a specialty, so don't lose hope.

Don't panic. Keeping doing the best you can.

Everything changes when you start clinical rotations - you may see what I saw in my dental school: a dramatic change in who the "top" students were > a lot of book worms aren't very good with their hands (and vice versa)