Permanent Residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When exactly in the application cycle are you required to furnish you Alien Registration Card? Is it when you send your applications in? Secondaries? At the interview? When?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, for me, the states schools only cared to see it. SUNY Buffalo does not let you send in your secondary until they have a copy of your green card. But, SUNY Upstate, Downstate, and Stonybrook only need it upon matriculation. None of the private schools really asked me for a copy, so it might also be upon matriculation.

I should have mine within the next 4 to 6 months. I'm going to apply this year so that's why I wanted to know how much time I had.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I should ask each school personally?

I tried asking each one, but most of them don't even know their own policies on such immigration issues. If you will get it for sure in the near future, check off the permanent resident box on your AMCAS application, or else you will run into a lot of problems. You won't be able to apply to some schools if you check off other. Many schools won't ask you to verify it until matriculation so you should be fine.

Thank you so much for your input. Anyone else with experience? Don't know why but I'm so excited right now. I was sure I was going to apply in June but at the back of my mind I was wondering, what if I don't get it in time...What you said is relieving, I want to hear from others.

If u dont check it on AMCAS then some schls will probably remove ur app, as they only accept citizens and permanent residents.
If u know for sure that u'll get it by say oct, I'd say to check it.
You can always hold off entering your AMCAS till July/Aug or so just to be on safe side, and make sure u do get it.
Just my own opinion

only a small number of schools asks for verification with the secondary.

Rush for instances requires that we send a copy of birth certificate or passport...i lost both so for this reason i never sent my stuff to that school.

but hopefully you get yours in time and get to apply as early as possible.

its nice to actually see a nice person asking a question these days...