Perplexing Personal Statement Problem

• Thread starter ParallelUniverse
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

ParallelUniverse

Should one use the personal statement to explain the reasons for any possible deficencies in their undergrad transcript (EX. Downward Trend) or should one wait for secondaries, where I understand some schools put a space for explination?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mike, unless this downward trend is STEEP, don't mention it in your statement. Adcoms hate "excuse-type" statements. Instead, really concentrate on some experience which demonstrates a commitment to pursuing medicine or something unique about yourself that sets you apart from other applicants. I recommend looking at Barron's "Essays That Will Get You Into Medical School." Great tips on organizing your thoughts and getting them down coherently on paper. Also includes some interview help as well. Over two months to go 'till AMCAS releases next e-application, glad to see you're getting a head start on the process! Good Luck!

me ke aloha pumehana

What is considered steep? My BCMP slipped from 3.65 to 3.4?

That's not steep. The ONLY time you would want to use your valuable personal statement to bring attention to application deficiencies is when there is a REALLY big problem. I'm talking 3.75 down to a 2.8 - THAT is steep.

Remember, the point of the personal statement is to bring out all of the good stuff that's not on their numbers sheet. Why take it in the other direction and give them another reason to pass over your app when it could be used to convince them to give you an interview?