Personal adversity essay topic - TOO personal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblepop

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think this has the potential to be a very good essay, and I like the way you've framed things and come out the other side stronger, wiser and, it sounds, also more compassionate.

Be aware that if you write about it, you will be opening the door to discuss it during your interviews. If you're OK with that, then my vote is yes.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your advice. I am very much aware of the fact that anything I mention opens the door for questions. However, I'm not really sure what/how questions would be asked... which is why I feel a bit anxious writing about this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this has the potential to be a very good essay, and I like the way you've framed things and come out the other side stronger, wiser and, it sounds, also more compassionate.

Be aware that if you write about it, you will be opening the door to discuss it during your interviews. If you're OK with that, then my vote is yes.
If not the PS, it's good for the challenges/resilience prompts.

OP, do you have ECs involving abuse victims? If not, the PS might not be the best place to mention your history.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your response! I was only planning to write about the topic in secondaries, as I am already verified. Although I do not have any ECs specifically working with abuse victims, I was an RA in the capacity which I supported students who experienced abuse/assault. Do you think it might be beneficial to tie in my RA experience as well?

Thank you very much for your response! I was only planning to write about the topic in secondaries, as I am already verified. Although I do not have any ECs specifically working with abuse victims, I was an RA in the capacity which I supported students who experienced abuse/assault. Do you think it might be beneficial to tie in my RA experience as well?
Hey I've seen you haven't gotten a response to this yet. I cannot see what exactly happened (it shows a blank area underneath the topic) but I kind of pieced some of it together. I think tying in your RA experience to show how you have overcome and now are helping people is an absolutely fantastic idea.

Hey I've seen you haven't gotten a response to this yet. I cannot see what exactly happened (it shows a blank area underneath the topic) but I kind of pieced some of it together. I think tying in your RA experience to show how you have overcome and now are helping people is an absolutely fantastic idea.

Thanks for responding to my question despite not having the full story. I'll see if I could weave my time as an RA into my remaining secondaries!