personal essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olive

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just have a quick question concerning the personal essay. i find myself thinking in circles about how i want to approach this essay but by reading many examples in books as well as one that a friend has written that is a D2(2nd yr dental) student, all the essay are dry and to the point, all sounding very cliche. i thought it was our job to make it unique and different and now i am confused. just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or knew of any sources that were helpful for writing a personal statement. hopefully i will hear back from someone but if i do not, best of luck to everyone with interviews and such! smile plenty & Thank you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

i read several books concerning personal statements. the conclusion i came to, first and foremost, is there something you can say that no one else can? in other words, what is there that would make you a better candidate than another student that has the same gpa and dat? aside from that, dont try to hard to get the readers attention. the reviewers say that there is nothing they havent seen. and dry is definitely not the goal. these reviewers read as many as 1000 essays. while your application will tell them everything about what youve done, use your essay to show them your personality. last, dont go over things in the essay that are in the application (gpa, dat, etc.), unless you are elaborating. good luck.