Personal Statement Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koolkid596243

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an incoming M1, and I am reflecting on my AMCAS application experience. There were a couple things that I wanted to share about the personal statement, so I made a video! It's hyperlinked in my signature (so as to not violate SDN policies).

HOWEVER, on top of the video, just wanted to include the tips in writing:

In case you're having trouble getting started, consider answering these questions for yourself and using the answers to guide you:

1. In two sentences max, why do you want to become a doctor?
2. In one sentence, what ONE message about yourself would you like the admissions committee reader to take away after reading your PS?
3. What are 1-3 skills that you are particularly good at that would make you a fantastic physician? What experiences/activities have helped you hone those skills?
4. In a perfect world, where do you see yourself as a physician in 20 years?

REALISMS (Stuff that's hard to hear, but generally true based on my experience) ABOUT THE PERSONAL STATEMENT:

•Focus your PS on YOU – NOT someone else.
•Experiences about someone close to you being saved by a doctor = cliché (at least based on my limited experience)
•Get people to edit that can be REAL about stuff like this and tell you when something is too cheesy or may be overused.
•Expect MULTIPLE drafts! It will ultimately also get to a point where different editors will give you different advice! FOLLOW YOUR PERSONAL BELIEFS AT THAT POINT!
•PS does go to every school, but RARELY is the reason you GET in or NOT.
•PS is a time for you to talk about YOU – not your activities section. Use space to talk about things you can’t talk about elsewhere objectively.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

I'm an incoming M1, and I am reflecting on my AMCAS application experience. There were a couple things that I wanted to share about the personal statement, so I made a video! It's hyperlinked in my signature (so as to not violate SDN policies).

HOWEVER, on top of the video, just wanted to include the tips in writing:

In case you're having trouble getting started, consider answering these questions for yourself and using the answers to guide you:

1. In two sentences max, why do you want to become a doctor?
2. In one sentence, what ONE message about yourself would you like the admissions committee reader to take away after reading your PS?
3. What are 1-3 skills that you are particularly good at that would make you a fantastic physician? What experiences/activities have helped you hone those skills?
4. In a perfect world, where do you see yourself as a physician in 20 years?

REALISMS (Stuff that's hard to hear, but generally true based on my experience) ABOUT THE PERSONAL STATEMENT:

•Focus your PS on YOU – NOT someone else.
•Experiences about someone close to you being saved by a doctor = cliché (at least based on my limited experience)
•Get people to edit that can be REAL about stuff like this and tell you when something is too cheesy or may be overused.
•Expect MULTIPLE drafts! It will ultimately also get to a point where different editors will give you different advice! FOLLOW YOUR PERSONAL BELIEFS AT THAT POINT!
•PS does go to every school, but RARELY is the reason you GET in or NOT.
•PS is a time for you to talk about YOU – not your activities section. Use space to talk about things you can’t talk about elsewhere objectively.

See one, do one, teach one?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you implying that's a good way to do the PS? If so, I agree :)
I believe he's remarking on a basic tenant of medical education (at least before simulation based mastery learning has come about -- in which case it would be see one, do many, teach one).
After one cycle you've become a master in quite a short time!

Pretty nice tips, thanks!

I believe he's remarking on a basic tenant of medical education (at least before simulation based mastery learning has come about -- in which case it would be see one, do many, teach one).
After one cycle you've become a master in quite a short time!

LOL it's awkward that I didn't know that. But hey, learn something new everyday! :)

The problem is this is already all over the internet and especially SDN.

At the end of the day, introspection sucks, and most people aren't good at it, especially at 21-22 years of age.

Good advice!

Don't forget basic structure too. Don't try to be a hero.

Thesis
3 supporting arguments
Conclusion

IMO, good thesis=good essay

And for the love of god, this isn't a college essay. Don't do that weird thing where you set the scene ("the hall was quiet as the code lights flashed above").

Last edited:
Good advice!

Thesis
3 supporting arguments
Conclusion

And for the love of god, this isn't a college essay. Don't do that weird thing where you set the scene ("the hall was quiet as the code lights flashed above").

Stanford has a list of sample personal statements and about half of them start off with some cheesy hook, despite the rest of the essay being extremely well written.

Stanford has a list of sample personal statements and about half of them start off with some cheesy hook, despite the rest of the essay being extremely well written.

That's actually the kind of what I was saying with "don't be a hero". There will be a few that are written by super stars where the cliche hook can work. Usually they've also got LM >80, served in the military, and recently won a medal in the olympics...in addition to being a vastly better writer than most premeds.

It's not that you can't get in with a crazy/unorthodox/cliche essay...its just much safer not to risk it

Good advice!

Thesis
3 supporting arguments
Conclusion

too cliche homie. this isn't 11th grade. so long as your writing is clear and organized, you don't have to follow this formula. by all means you can... but by no means do you have to. you don't want to try to force a specific # of supporting arguments if they are weak or ill-fitting.

Reactions: 1 users
too cliche homie. this isn't 11th grade. so long as your writing is clear and organized, you don't have to follow this formula. by all means you can... but by no means do you have to. you don't want to try to force a specific # of supporting arguments if they are weak or ill-fitting.

Obviously. My point was not that that's some iron clad rule. Just that the majority of premeds are horrendous writers. And for that majority, it is far wiser to use a traditional style than to try some literary wizardry.

I read PSs at my school, and work with most of the adcoms. No one is impressed by unique style, crazy hooks, and cliche platitudes. What is impressive is someone who can form a conscise, logical essay.

Good advice!

Thesis
3 supporting arguments
Conclusion

I agree with this. Of course there's not "perfect formula," but the aspect of simplicity in writing tends to go unnoticed for many PS. And this structure makes it easy to get the point across!