personal statement analysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yikes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
while combing the internet for personal statement writing advice i came across the following abstract. I read the article and it was pretty interesting. has anyone else looked at it?

Written Communication, Vol. 21, No. 3, 242-260 (2004)
DOI: 10.1177/0741088304264338
© 2004 SAGE Publications
Self-Composed

Rhetoric in Psychology Personal Statements

Robert M. Brown
University of Texas at Austin

The personal statement written for graduate school admission has been a genre virtually ignored by rhetoricians but one that deserves attention. Not only a document of pragmatic importance for applicants, the personal statement is an indicator of disciplinary socialization. The discipline studied here is clinical psychology. Combining quantitative and qualitative methods, the author analyzed a corpus of statements to identify features distinguishing statements of admitted applicants from those of rejected applicants. The findings showed that successful applicants attended more to projecting their future research endeavors and demonstrating their commitments to scientific epistemology. Thus, the author argues that the modifier personal needs qualification, because successful applicants tend to emphasize their public identities as apprentice scientists.

Key Words: personal statement writing • genre • graduate school admission statements • personal writing • public writing

Members don't see this ad.

this is just the abstract right? do you have access to the full text? (i'm gonna go try to search for it anyway if you don't)

It sounds similiar to the article about personal statements called something along the lines of Kisses of Death : Personal Statments (feel free to correct me cause i know this is wrong!) but it's something like that and the authors go through and anaylize various ps and interview admittind advisors to get a break down on the biggest DONT's.

I do have the full text, but wasn't sure if I could legally post it since I got it through work.

the article you mentioned does sound similar. if you could pm it to m e that would be nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
spillsomepaint- If you have that article, would you PM it to me as well? I would love to know what not to do, because chances are, I will do it, haha.

I'm not forgetting about you guys! I'll PM you both tomorrow with the text, I just got off a long shift at work and am too tired to go searching through refworks!

Spillsomepaint,

Would you be able to send me a copy of that article as well?

Thanks!

Can I have a copy as well? Thanks!

Ah, if only there were a similar study looking at PsyD apps! ;-) (I imagine these were PhDs- research focus)

Yeah...the one by Brown definitely is, although you could probably make some useful extrapolations from it as to what your PsyD app should focus on and what to avoid. If you're still in school, I'd do a search on Google for the Browne article and it should bring up a site to which your school might have access (mine did when I searched for it...), but I couldn't find the other article mentioned...hopefully it'll get PM'd to us shortly! :)

Spillsomepaint - If you have a sec could you send it to me as well! I'd love you for it!

Hi spillmesomepaint, the link didn't work for me, however, I do now see that I actually have the article in question, so thank you anyways!

By any chance do you guys know of a place to get a copy of the article without having to pay for it? Thanks

(I'm a little broke :()

I was able to get one of them through my University's library. The other, the one from Sage, has a free trial through Nov. 30th if you sign up.

Hi guys and gals,

If you have time could you please pm those articles to me too? I cannot get them online since I don't have an account. Thanks