Personal Statement Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dude700

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished writing my personal statement for a post bacc program. The aim was to address the question: "Describe your career goals and explain about the experiences that lead to your decision." Some feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Here it is:

"Helping others has always been an innate characteristic of mine. Coupled with a passion for the sciences, and a strong desire to learn, a career in medicine is the next logical step. The medical field offers a way to better an individual’s life through a broad array of treatments while encouraging a great degree of intellectual stimulation. For me, these are the most alluring qualities.

In order to excel at any aspect of life, one must demonstrate the motivation and willingness to learn and practice ad nauseam. This is no doubt true when it comes to medicine. During my younger years, I always was fascinated by music, so I took up playing the piano. Anyone who plays the piano will affirm that such an instrument has a steep learning curve. However, through meticulous practice, I was slowly becoming a more adept player. Each day, I practiced for no less than an hour, continually working on both my strengths and weaknesses. Playing the piano has helped me to develop effective study habits, pay close attention to detail, and give me the discipline to employ a great work ethic in order for me to achieve my goals. Not only have these core values been instilled in virtually all areas of my life, I also intend to apply them to becoming a physician.

When I entered college, I was unsure which major was best suited for me. After taking numerous courses, I was captivated by my introduction to psychology course. Here, I learned about the complexities of the human mind, and was driven to understand the physiological basis of mental ailments. I was fascinated by the idea that many of our everyday choices can potentially have a profound impact on our mental health. I decided to further delve into this topic, and did so in a research context. Using a small sample of college students, I investigated the relationship between smoking and their health-related quality of life. Researching this topic taught me about the various adverse mental and physiological effects of smoking. Exploring the mechanism of action of nicotine on the smoker helped me to develop a more in-depth perspective of the human body. I found the subject matter to be stimulating and challenging, and it was here that my interest in medicine really blossomed.

Whether it’s playing the piano, doing research, or working in the medical field, I am always up for the challenge. I am grateful for everything I have learned over the course of my life, but I am even more enthused about the future. As I look forward, the medical field looks like a promising field that would ultimately enable me to work in a profession geared toward helping others. By extensively studying the mind as a psychology major, I learned about how the mind can have such a profound influence on a person’s well being. As a physician, I look forward to challenging myself to develop the necessary tools in order to provide patients with a better quality of life through transforming their minds."

Members don't see this ad.

feedback??

1. it's not very good
2. that doesn't matter, since the postbacc program will still accept you and is more than willing to take your money.
3. you haven't actually answered the question; your writing style is very impersonal (you use the third person "one" far too much); you haven't explained why you don't want to pursue a career in psychology, and in fact, based on your essay, I suspect you may be a good candidate for a psychology graduate degree program.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of generalizations: "one must demonstrate", "anyone who plays the piano"

Many of your sentences can be rewritten to be more concise

Add some more of your personality! This writing is very fact-oriented and could show more emotion

Second sentence is a fragment/misplaced modifier - what is "coupled"?

Second paragraph has a lot of tense changes

Third paragraph, second sentence - may want to capitalize Introduction to Psychology for clarity

When you connect two ideas with a comma followed by "and", the second idea should be a full sentence on its own. If it is not a full sentence, you do not need the comma even if there is a natural pause there when speaking. I used to do this all the time until an English prof/grammar Nazi took points off for it.

Before:
I decided to further delve into this topic, and did so in a research context.

After (two alternatives):
I decided to further delve into this topic, and I did so in a research context.
I decided to further delve into this topic and did so in a research context.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't put your personal statement on a public forum. Someone can steal it.

I would avoid definitive statements as well.

You didn't build a sufficient case for the 'why medicine' topic, I think. Medicine isn't the only intellectually stimulating profession.

I think you're struggling to connect your interest in mental health and music to the physician profession in your personal statement.

I'm going to send you a personal statement that ties interest in music and medical field.

Just finished writing my personal statement for a post bacc program. The aim was to address the question: "Describe your career goals and explain about the experiences that lead to your decision." Some feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Here it is:

"Helping others has always been an innate characteristic of mine. Coupled with a passion for the sciences, and a strong desire to learn, a career in medicine is the next logical step. The medical field offers a way to better an individual’s life through a broad array of treatments while encouraging a great degree of intellectual stimulation. For me, these are the most alluring qualities.

In order to excel at any aspect of life, one must demonstrate the motivation and willingness to learn and practice ad nauseam. This is no doubt true when it comes to medicine. During my younger years, I always was fascinated by music, so I took up playing the piano. Anyone who plays the piano will affirm that such an instrument has a steep learning curve. However, through meticulous practice, I was slowly becoming a more adept player. Each day, I practiced for no less than an hour, continually working on both my strengths and weaknesses. Playing the piano has helped me to develop effective study habits, pay close attention to detail, and give me the discipline to employ a great work ethic in order for me to achieve my goals. Not only have these core values been instilled in virtually all areas of my life, I also intend to apply them to becoming a physician.

When I entered college, I was unsure which major was best suited for me. After taking numerous courses, I was captivated by my introduction to psychology course. Here, I learned about the complexities of the human mind, and was driven to understand the physiological basis of mental ailments. I was fascinated by the idea that many of our everyday choices can potentially have a profound impact on our mental health. I decided to further delve into this topic, and did so in a research context. Using a small sample of college students, I investigated the relationship between smoking and their health-related quality of life. Researching this topic taught me about the various adverse mental and physiological effects of smoking. Exploring the mechanism of action of nicotine on the smoker helped me to develop a more in-depth perspective of the human body. I found the subject matter to be stimulating and challenging, and it was here that my interest in medicine really blossomed.

Whether it’s playing the piano, doing research, or working in the medical field, I am always up for the challenge. I am grateful for everything I have learned over the course of my life, but I am even more enthused about the future. As I look forward, the medical field looks like a promising field that would ultimately enable me to work in a profession geared toward helping others. By extensively studying the mind as a psychology major, I learned about how the mind can have such a profound influence on a person’s well being. As a physician, I look forward to challenging myself to develop the necessary tools in order to provide patients with a better quality of life through transforming their minds."

Yeah, you want to scrap this one, unless you are applying to a post-bac program that isn't very competitive. A ton of those programs have become increasingly difficult to get a seat in. I would take a different approach: lead off with a sentence that describes your favorite memory playing the piano, but don't tell the reader what you are doing... Don't even use any words that signify piano... Then hook this life experience into what you imagine your life will be like as a future position... Similarities between why playing the piano and being a psychiatrist, if you will.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with everyone else here. Make sure that whatever you do end up using, you have it edited VERY WELL! The grammar could use improvement. Same for sentence structure and flow. These almost seem like descriptions of activities rather than a flowing essay. Your theme, though there, was not very well carried from beginning to end.

Hope this helps.

Here is what I see :

Paragraph 1) You are basically belittling your call to medicine by saying it is just the next logical step in a series of very general things. You could as easily fill in medicine with physical therapy, chiro, dental, nursing, etc. I know that is not your intent but that is what it is saying.

2) As a professional musician and multi-instrumentalist, the piano has the easiest learning curve of pretty much any major instrument out there. I wouldn't say that and insult an advanced violin player on the adcom lol. I do like the music reference and I would use it but use it differently. It is not important enough to make an entire paragraph of. Cut it down and use it to highlight your perseverance and dedication in passing.

3) Have you taken med school pre reqs? Psychology is typically not well regarded in medicine. Narrow down your interest in medicine from the smoking study and move forward to something that gives relevance. This is the important paragraph and you are advertising your desire for medicine in a psych study with no patient experience. Patient experience is key.

4) You are essentially copy/pasting from the rest. No can do.

@Dude700
From my experience trying to prepare my statement in another forum, I would have to agree with most of the people on the discussion board. I ran into the same situation trying to prepare my own personal statement. It would be nice to see your own personal life examples reflecting why you wanted to go into medicine.

Last edited:
@xyphr What is the best way to get feedback from your PS on SDN?

Don't be afraid to scrap a PS and start all over. I scrapped my first one, and half of my second before I had a very solid PS. It takes time and a lot of reflection. I'm not advocating drinking, but my PS really shined when I stayed up late one night with some bourbon and just wrote from the heart. Woke up the next morning and cleaned up any grammar and other alcohol induced errors, but the overall feeling and emotion of the PS was already there.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with typoncho in that your PS should, in part, be a product of catharsis.

you will never get useful information on your personal statement here, other than the fact that it's terrible.

please review/re-write it with the help of a friend - it's a "personal" statement and we don't know you!

My personal statement was a nightmare at first. Have trusted eyes go over it with you and give you their input. By the time I finished my personal statement, it had been scrutinized by several and I find it is a compelling statement about my life decisions and my passions for medicine. Take it slow and try not to rush it.

I'm far away from the process but would anyone consider paying for tutors to review their Personal Statement?