Personal statement, financial problems, DAT studying, shadowing help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted829492

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar situation before I applied this cycle, I actually didn't decide that I was interested in dentistry until this past August and did all of my shadowing, DAT studying (and took it) in August and finished my application in September. With a solid personal statement, you can explain what appears to be on paper, a last minute career switch and get plenty of interviews/acceptances! Feel free to send me a rough draft of your statement and I would be happy to look it over and give you any pointers I can.

Shadowing since January is just fine, as I said before I did all my shadowing the month before I applied (only had about 50-60 hrs). Your volunteering and experience as a dental assistant will more make up for any lack of research; I would go so far as to say that the majority of applicants have no significant research experience and that it is a non-issue as long as you're not gunning for a research focused program (Harvard). It looks like you're doing everything you need to do to make yourself a great applicant, so keep grinding and make sure you study hard for the DAT!

The financials are an area I am hesitant to give advice in; though I would recommend discussing your options with your family and making a joint decision on how to finance your application expenses.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in a similar situation before I applied this cycle, I actually didn't decide that I was interested in dentistry until this past August and did all of my shadowing, DAT studying (and took it) in August and finished my application in September. With a solid personal statement, you can explain what appears to be on paper, a last minute career switch and get plenty of interviews/acceptances! Feel free to send me a rough draft of your statement and I would be happy to look it over and give you any pointers I can.

Shadowing since January is just fine, as I said before I did all my shadowing the month before I applied (only had about 50-60 hrs). Your volunteering and experience as a dental assistant will more make up for any lack of research; I would go so far as to say that the majority of applicants have no significant research experience and that it is a non-issue as long as you're not gunning for a research focused program (Harvard). It looks like you're doing everything you need to do to make yourself a great applicant, so keep grinding and make sure you study hard for the DAT!

The financials are an area I am hesitant to give advice in; though I would recommend discussing your options with your family and making a joint decision on how to finance your application expenses.

Thank you for replying, you have given me a little bit of hope! I'm just stressed and very worried. I'm trying to do all that I can to show I'm competitive, but it's discouraging when you hear about other peoples stats.

Yeah, I don't blame you for not giving financial advice. My parents just cant' really afford to pay for anything for me, and I don't want to really discuss it with them, because they will hold it against me and create even more stress for me and them. I just wanted to quietly solve the problem on my own, even if it means going into debt. I don't know, I just feel lost and frustrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try a GoFundMe. Do you have anything to sell?

When does your gap year start? Do you have a credit card? Charge now, make minimums payments until you pay it fully.

You can also submit for aid for the AADSAS payments and the exam. You just need to provide financial proof of need.

I got a delta sky miles credit card and put all my application expenses on that. I ended up getting enough sky miles to get a free round trip flight to the other side of the country. Might be a better option than a loan but I'm not really sure, both have high interest rates.

Feralis bio note is overwhelming by itself already lol (if you really study it right)
I used feralis only and got 26 on the section. It does wonders for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have friends that were able to get waivers for DAT/Applications fees by proving financial hardship! They said that ADA only gives out a limited number of these waivers and they take about a month to process so you definitively want to apply ASAP. I think that it opens when AADSAS opens on 6/1 but I'm not sure.

Also, what are the Jason and RusselD notes?

Also in terms of solidifying your application I would start talking to professors now for letters of rec. Also try to get a leadership position in the ASDA club!

and three peoples notes for biology (Feralis, Jason and RusselD, I believe?).

I'd stick to just one of these, all three isn't really necessary and you'd end up wasting a lot of time seeing mostly overlapped material. Try to memorize whichever one is easiest for you.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

The credit card idea does sound good, I actually already have one that I'm still trying to pay off (dorming expenses), but I didn't even consider opening a new card. My credit is pretty good, so it should be easy enough.

I have friends that were able to get waivers for DAT/Applications fees by proving financial hardship! They said that ADA only gives out a limited number of these waivers and they take about a month to process so you definitively want to apply ASAP. I think that it opens when AADSAS opens on 6/1 but I'm not sure.

Also, what are the Jason and RusselD notes?

Also in terms of solidifying your application I would start talking to professors now for letters of rec. Also try to get a leadership position in the ASDA club!

I was hoping to take the test by the middle of June, so this may not be a possible avenue for me. I think for this year, the DAT waivers are closed :/

I don't know why I wrote jason, it's Ty Jacob's Notes and RussellDW.

I have already gotten letters of rec in the works, but I don't have time to get a leadership position because I'm graduating this spring, so no more university clubs for me :/

Feralis bio note is overwhelming by itself already lol (if you really study it right)
I used feralis only and got 26 on the section. It does wonders for you.

Oh ok! Then I will just stick to feralis's notes!

I agree with what was said above about the biology notes, Feralis is all you need for your initial review and then I would use Destroyer to test yourself on your retention of everything in Feralis.

If you would like to send me your personal statement I'd be happy to look it over for you, just send me a direct message.

As far as the financial aspect, while I am hesitant to give advice on this front, if you're willing (and able) to take out a loan have you looked into credit cards? While I know this is a black hole for some people and it sounds like your family is having issues with $ and maybe credit cards have been part of the problem...but you might be able to find one with an introductory rate of 0% APR. if this is the case you could pay for the application process (or at least part, esp the major expense of sending your application to multiple schools) using this and if you're smart about your money pay it off in your gap year with little to no interest. This could not be said for a loan. If I was in your situation I believe this is what I would have done. Not to mention this will help you build credit.

While I think it's great that you've started to do a lot of things to improve your app, you might be spreading yourself too thin. Instead of doing all of these things maybe stick to a couple of them instead and stick with them. I think 150 hours working as a dental assistant is better than a few hours here and there at the clinic - and not for nothing but since you're pressed on time don't you think you could be spending the hours it takes for that commute back and forth doing something more worthwhile? Just my opinion of course!

And can I ask why you're set on applying this cycle? I had the same mindset when I was getting ready to graduate so I studied for the DAT my last semester of college while taking biochem, anatomy&phys, and
O Chem 2 and let's just say that didn't end too well! I ended up dropping orgo 2 and didn't study for the DAT. I instead took orgo the summer after I graduated and studied for the DAT after that. Having that extra couple of months was so worth it for me and I wouldn't change it if I had the chance. I will be attending dental school in the fall. But again, just my two cents.

Sorry for the long reply!!!

Thank you for your reply!

I have to work on my personal statement even further, so expect a message from me in the upcoming days!

I am applying this cycle because I really don't want to have two gaps years, and frankly, I can't really afford to go get a masters. I would not like to spend too much time out of school, and my parents are getting old. They are both really sick too, so I don't want to prolong this for too long. I really don't know if they will be around for the next 4-5 years, and I just would like to do this quickly. I know it's going to be really tough, but I'm doing OK so far. I'm taking 17 hours, but my only really hard class is Orgo 2. As long as I don't mess around, I think I can pull off at least a 3.8 gpa this semester, and successfully take the DAT my the end of May-ish.