Personal Statement for reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sstache1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people. Good luck to all in the 2005 application cycle. Unfortunately, for this cycle I am a repaalicant. The fact that I didn't get in my last time around sucks, but I feel confident that I have improved upon the things that held me back last time and that I will have success this time around. However, the one thing holding back my application at this point is my damn personal statement. I put so much time and effort into my last one to say exactly what I wanted to say, and now I can't use it. I know i want to try to incorporate some of my anecdotes fro the last statement in the new one, but I also feel I need to address the fact that I am reapplying. So, I was wondering if any of my fellow reapplicant out there would like to share their new personal statement writing experience or some advice. I'm sure there are other out there in the same boat as me so hopefully we can get some ideas flying around.

Members don't see this ad.

I used the same personal statement as last year. Many people told me if I thought that it expressed my reasons for wanting to go into medicine as I wanted it to, just leave it. A couple of my interviewers last year mentioned points about how they liked it, so I know it was fine as it was. I think the more important matter right now is submitting your application! It's getting sort of late in the process to be submitting, some schools have even started to shell out their interviews. Obviously, if you're a super-strong applicant, this doesn't matter. But since you are a reapplicant (like me) I think it's a good idea to get a jump on the others. Also, you have many more essays ahead of you to write, so don't get bogged down with just one. Just my opinion, and GOOD LUCK!