Personal Statement Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dent56171

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you guys think should be definitely included in a personal statement? And what would be examples of what you could write about?
 
My pre-health advisers emphasized that the personal statement is not the place to restate your resume. In general, it's an essay about your growth and how you know dentistry is a good fit for you and vice versa. This is a chance to show the admissions committee your personality before they meet you face to face. Personally, I recounted an incident that happened when I was young that first got me interested in dentistry, talked about certain hobbies that showed manual dexterity, and spent the majority of it talking about a singular, profound event I experienced at the dental office I worked at that tied back to my childhood experience.

Some ideas to get you thinking are: Is there something very memorable about your shadowing experience you want to share? Were there any critical points in your life when you thought "this is why I want to pursue dentistry"? When was the first time you considered dentistry as a career, where were you and was it significant or just a small blip in your memory?

Hope this helps!
 
My pre-health advisers emphasized that the personal statement is not the place to restate your resume. In general, it's an essay about your growth and how you know dentistry is a good fit for you and vice versa. This is a chance to show the admissions committee your personality before they meet you face to face. Personally, I recounted an incident that happened when I was young that first got me interested in dentistry, talked about certain hobbies that showed manual dexterity, and spent the majority of it talking about a singular, profound event I experienced at the dental office I worked at that tied back to my childhood experience.

Some ideas to get you thinking are: Is there something very memorable about your shadowing experience you want to share? Were there any critical points in your life when you thought "this is why I want to pursue dentistry"? When was the first time you considered dentistry as a career, where were you and was it significant or just a small blip in your memory?

Hope this helps!
alright! Thank you!