Personal Statement Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent56171

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think should be definitely included in a personal statement? And what would be examples of what you could write about?

Members don't see this ad.

My pre-health advisers emphasized that the personal statement is not the place to restate your resume. In general, it's an essay about your growth and how you know dentistry is a good fit for you and vice versa. This is a chance to show the admissions committee your personality before they meet you face to face. Personally, I recounted an incident that happened when I was young that first got me interested in dentistry, talked about certain hobbies that showed manual dexterity, and spent the majority of it talking about a singular, profound event I experienced at the dental office I worked at that tied back to my childhood experience.

Some ideas to get you thinking are: Is there something very memorable about your shadowing experience you want to share? Were there any critical points in your life when you thought "this is why I want to pursue dentistry"? When was the first time you considered dentistry as a career, where were you and was it significant or just a small blip in your memory?

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
My pre-health advisers emphasized that the personal statement is not the place to restate your resume. In general, it's an essay about your growth and how you know dentistry is a good fit for you and vice versa. This is a chance to show the admissions committee your personality before they meet you face to face. Personally, I recounted an incident that happened when I was young that first got me interested in dentistry, talked about certain hobbies that showed manual dexterity, and spent the majority of it talking about a singular, profound event I experienced at the dental office I worked at that tied back to my childhood experience.

Some ideas to get you thinking are: Is there something very memorable about your shadowing experience you want to share? Were there any critical points in your life when you thought "this is why I want to pursue dentistry"? When was the first time you considered dentistry as a career, where were you and was it significant or just a small blip in your memory?

Hope this helps!
alright! Thank you!