personal statement mention that i'm reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousteen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it a good idea to mention in the ps that i'm reapplying?? i think it's important that schools know that i'm determined to get into medical school, but i'm not sure if this will hurt me with the schools i didnt' apply to last time.

i applied to 20 schools last time and i'm considering 30 now.

Members don't see this ad.

its noted on your file. schools don't care if you're reappling or not. If you are not up to par with this years applications you won't get in. Reapplying does not help your chances to get. I would argue it only hurts.

i know of at least one school that actually gives you some bonus points for applying multiple times. i would think that shows how committed you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess i worded my question incorrectly.

part of ps is about facing rejection and my thought process about reapplying.

wouldn't it be strange for a school to read about me facing rejection if i never applied to there before.

what are your stats? 30 schools is a lot. if you have under a 30, i would focus on DO applications.

30 and 3.5ish (i retook mcat and waiting for june 2)

when i applied, i had competitive stats, but i took the august mcat, so my application was a little late. 30 is a lot, but i really want to get in this year.

GPA is a little low. Apply to mcw early. you'll have a shot there.

I know. Just go to an easy school and major in something easy. Then study your brains out for the mcat is almost a better combination, if not a better combination.

i get my mcat back next week, so i'm kind of nervous now.

i really want a 33+
i took a class this time so i think it's possible, but the wait is difficult.

I don't have a strong opinion about this. I don't think having applied once is going to hurt your application much. Some of the schools that you are applying to for the first time might have the question of why you are applying there this year, but did not last year (i.e. are you their 2nd/lower choice or do you really have a good reason for wanting to apply there?). I would say that for your interviews, just have a good reason why you are interested in each school you are applying to.

Since you applied late last year, you already have one "excuse" about why you didn't get in last year. It sounds like you are at least in the range of folks who get accepted, in terms of your academic profile, but you are not a shoe-in. Just focus on making your application the best you can in all ways (i.e. LOR's, your volunteer work, the way you sell yourself and your extracurriculars in your application) and apply early. Have some other people read your personal statement to see how it comes across.