Personal Statement on struggles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristinayang16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn!

So I had a question. I have suffered from epilepsy since I was 13(i only had seizures max four times total in my life however since im on medication) which caused me to be going to the hospital a lot with MRIs and check ups and such. I was thinking about writing how this inspired me to want to become a doctor because I want to be the one on the other side of the table you know? Is this a good idea to write about?

Another option I had was writing about the anorexia and anemia I struggled with since I was about 16 I believe. It has been an on and off again thing as I recover for a couple years and then relapse. This would also explain why my freshman year of undergrad grades were a bit lower than they could have been. I recovered, retook the classes sophomore year and got much better grades. I feel like I have more material with this topic as I was always surrounded by doctors all the time because they were afraid I wasn't going to make it. Sorry if this is all sappy but going through something like this and having the doctors save my life really opened my eyes on what it takes and how important doctors are.

Basically, I just wanted to know which is a better topic to write about. I know mental illnesses are taboo so I just wanted to know your thoughts!

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would stay away from the topic of anorexia.

Epilepsy would be OK to talk about, especially if you mention how well controlled it is.

Reactions: 1 user
It's very common to write about one's illness and as such, you're fine. Agree with Crayola to avoid the anorexia bit.

Hello sdn!

So I had a question. I have suffered from epilepsy since I was 13(i only had seizures max four times total in my life however since im on medication) which caused me to be going to the hospital a lot with MRIs and check ups and such. I was thinking about writing how this inspired me to want to become a doctor because I want to be the one on the other side of the table you know? Is this a good idea to write about?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your reply!

@Goro I understand it is not a good idea to write about the anorexia bit but how else would I explain the low grades freshman year and how I retook them the following year? I feel like that is something to mention in an application or should I wait to explain myself for the secondaries?

was your family involved? were they depressed about it?

did you parents get a divorce around this time?

you can explain having family troubles that were a challenge to your mental health that has taught you blah blah blah without going into details if the statement I just made you think applies to you honestly, and you would be able to talk about in an interview and answer more questions about it without seeming too evasive

sounds pretty gamey that I tell students to try to couch most of their MH struggles as something akin to a situational depression that can be blamed on time limited and external factors like family, but that's the best approach, if it can wiggle into that jelly mold sure, if it can't don't

Save that for secondaries and interviews.

PS is for "Who am I? and "Why Medicine?"

Thank you both for your reply!

@Goro I understand it is not a good idea to write about the anorexia bit but how else would I explain the low grades freshman year and how I retook them the following year? I feel like that is something to mention in an application or should I wait to explain myself for the secondaries?