Personal Statement Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimal_risk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-med student and I want to go into forensic pathology. I've heard that med schools want patient care oriented people and working with the dearly departed isn't quite that. I want to know what other forensic paths (that got in) put in their personal statements. Can I avoid talking about specialties altogether? It will probably come at the interview anyway. I don't want to not get in because of my inclination for forensic path. I am interested in being a General Pract. (a little), but it is pretty much path. that I like. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i agree with Mr. Fremitus.

At this point, you don't want to make it seem like you have already narrowed down your options in your career. Make yourself seem ambitious and open minded (as well as wide-eyed).

There is a great demand for traditional clinical physicians (as usual) and many medical schools may find it a bit unnerving to hear that a candidate has already decided he/she wants to do Forensic Pathology or any other specific specialty before he/she even starts medical school.

You don't have to discuss specialties when applying to medical school....if you are asked about what your future plans are....you should always state a bunch of different things that you *might* be interested in. You can always state Forensic Pathology as one of those choices, but always include a variety of things. If history tells us one thing, it's that "people change with time" and it always shows maturity to expect that.

cheers and all the best!
R

Thanks for your replies. I guess you all are right. I already have a degree in Psych and was accepted into a Ph.D program, but I didn't want to go. I saw myself studying psychology, but not doing psychology. I changed my mind and now I am a Chem major and pre-med. I could change it again, I never know. Thanks again.

Me at the start of college: I want to be a history teacher.
Me at the start of med school: I want to do internal medicine, perhaps an ID fellowship.
Me currently: I like path.

Don't count your chickens yet. You may discover that 1) you really like another branch of medicine, or 2) you find yourself actually not that interested in forensics. I think interviewers like to see that you have thought about your potential future career, but that you have also thought about the fact that you will be in med school for 4 years, being exposed to so many different branches of medicine, and are open to trying new things and exploring other potential pathways. You have already indicated that you have changed your mind previously in regards to possible Phds, etc. I agree with Mr. Fremitus as well.

If you maintain a focus on forensics, you may be asked why you want to go to med school, and spend 4 years studying many things that you may not feel to be important. Why not become a cop and investigate crime scenes? Why not be an autopsy tech and do most of the work? Why not get a PHD and learn toxicology or ballistics?

That being said, med schools do not usually look for a certain type of student in regards to career choice. What is more important are characteristics such as intelligence, eagerness to learn and explore your own boundaries, working well under pressure, being a team player and working well with others, and people who understand the benefits and drawbacks of medicine as a career.

p.s. Don't underestimate the power of the personal statement! On most of my path interviews (particularly the ones where the interviewer actually read my file!) I received comments about it, such as "I appreciated your thoughts," or, "I really like what you said..." Serves as a jumping off point for conversations, as well as giving them a way to remember you after you have finished the interview.