Personal statement question/concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finn207

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Currently working on my personal statement and am trying to determine which topic to pursue. I have a pretty cool story to share about a visit to a Leprosy clinic in India. However, I questioning whether or not I should open my essay with this as I am afraid it might be associated with "medical tourism". The trip to the clinic was part of a 2-week stay in India during my junior year of high school- it was definitely influential, but I won't include it if it might hurt my app. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

I would question opening your essay by discussing a two-week trip rather than something that was more major in your life.

However, don't shy away from mentioning international volunteer experience in your app. Though there are criticisms of international volunteering, any* volunteering you did will help rather than hurt you.

* = I'm sure there are exceptions, but this isn't one of them

Reactions: 1 user
I would question opening your essay by discussing a two-week trip rather than something that was more major in your life.

However, don't shy away from mentioning international volunteer experience in your app. Though there are criticisms of international volunteering, any* volunteering you did will help rather than hurt you.

* = I'm sure there are exceptions, but this isn't one of them

Thank you for the advice- this is very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ps should answer ONE main claim that your activities, volunteering, and academics don't answer... That's is, WHY DO I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR? don't literally answer the question in your PS, but essentially that's should be the take home claim throughout your entire PS, you can of course reinforce that claim with your India trip, but it should not be the basis of your PS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your ps should answer ONE main claim that your activities, volunteering, and academics don't answer... That's is, WHY DO I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR? don't literally answer the question in your PS, but essentially that's should be the take home claim throughout your entire PS, you can of course reinforce that claim with your India trip, but it should not be the basis of your PS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agreed. Maybe start off talking about your first ideations about being a physician, and build to a cool experience you had like the India leprosy colony that made you decide definitively this is what yo uwanted.