Medical Personal Statement Question - should I discuss Ayurvedic medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my AMCAS personal statement, I mention how growing up in an environment surround by yoga, meditation, and ayurvedic medicine captivated me to question the inner workings of the human body. I detail how my injuries and fevers were healed by Ayurvedic medicines and techniques. Although I do believe Ayurvedic medicine has merit behind it, I know other doctors unfortunately do not. Will this initial introduction to my captivation for medicine come off in the wrong way?
It will rub me the wrong way because it's not evidence-based Medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I tend to agree with @Goro . I actually think I'm fairly open-minded about how practices like meditation/yoga/acupuncture/etc can increase patient overall wellness. But I think most reviewers who read that kind of statement would immediately look to Wikipedia , and reading sentences like these in the first paragraph are going to be a major turnoff:

The theory and practice of Ayurveda is pseudoscientific.[3][4][5] The Indian Medical Association (IMA) characterises the practice of modern medicine by Ayurvedic practitioners as quackery.

If you want to pursue this story I think you could talk about your medical challenges early in life leading you to these questions, but I would stay away from your Ayurvedic experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.