personal statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up -

My question: When writing your personal statement, is it appropriate to refer to a physician generically (IE "he/she" "the doctor I was shadowing) or to use their name (IE Dr. Jones)

Kinda stupid... but now that the MCAT is over, I've gotta find something else to worry about.

Thanks,
Dave

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that you have to put their name down. I didn't in my PS. However, if you are continually refering to them and they are going to write a LOR then maybe you would want to.

I think you should.

I guess a PS should be formal, and plus if they write you a LOR then it all ties in together. Also, put their title too (e.g. Dr.ImCute D.O., or Dr.LaLa Ph.D.), and maybe even first and last name if you can.

It depends on your writing style I guess.
hope it helps!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.ImCute said:
I think you should.

I guess a PS should be formal, and plus if they write you a LOR then it all ties in together. Also, put their title too (e.g. Dr.ImCute D.O., or Dr.LaLa Ph.D.), and maybe even first and last name if you can.

It depends on your writing style I guess.
hope it helps!
:luck:

I agree, the doc that I shadowed was actually quite well known within the AAO. His name carried a lot of weight. I showed my respect for his abilities in my statement. (his letter didn't hurt either).

My PS was more of a formal story on how I decided to apply to medical school. It was also noticable in my interviews if my interviewer had read it. (BTW penn state knew EVERYTHING in my application on interview day)

I wrote my PS and it was fairly detailed but I never wrote any names. It was a general overall statement of my goals and objectives in my life and how I got that point.

Secondaries is when you start getting very specific questions sometimes. I know one school made me answer 5 essay questions. FIVE!

I say if this physician was instrumental in your decision for medical school write away. I always feel the best PS are the ones with passion and dedication. Good luck!